Ranking teams: schedule vs quality of team

Nebraska could become a more physical team if it tweaked its attitude on offense. The Huskers have a multiple system, which in the past has featured a long (too long?) list of plays. You wonder sometimes if NU's offense is expending so much energy trying to out-think the defense that it neglects the part about out-slugging it.

What's more, Nebraska's offense seems to lack a clear identity. I know, broken record. But I would feel more comfortable picking NU to win the West if I had a better grasp of what the offense was going to look like, which, in turn, would give me a better idea of what kind of season to expect from sophomore quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr.

Bottom line, Iowa knows what it wants to be on offense.

Know thyself. Know your strengths. That helps the Hawkeyes. But trust DiNardo when he says Nebraska's overall athleticism is best in the West.

Pelini says offense has been simplified "to make sure players can play 100 mph." #Huskers

As far as talent goes, I think Nebraska is easily right there with Ohio St.

oh my god

I don't think we get all the walk in talent that Ohio St. does, but I think once they both reach their Junior and senior seasons we would be pretty close to equal.

No

Nebraska could become a more physical team if it tweaked its attitude on offense. The Huskers have a multiple system, which in the past has featured a long (too long?) list of plays. You wonder sometimes if NU's offense is expending so much energy trying to out-think the defense that it neglects the part about out-slugging it.

What's more, Nebraska's offense seems to lack a clear identity. I know, broken record. But I would feel more comfortable picking NU to win the West if I had a better grasp of what the offense was going to look like, which, in turn, would give me a better idea of what kind of season to expect from sophomore quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr.

Bottom line, Iowa knows what it wants to be on offense.

Know thyself. Know your strengths. That helps the Hawkeyes. But trust DiNardo when he says Nebraska's overall athleticism is best in the West.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 29m

Pelini says offense has been simplified "to make sure players can play 100 mph." #Huskers

Scared to find out.

oh my god
I don't think we get all the walk in talent that Ohio St. does, but I think once they both reach their Junior and senior seasons we would be pretty close to equal.
No
Well, IMO we are right there, or at least not far behind, but the way two and a few other folks are acting, it's Iike we have some sort of huge drop off. So please, instead of comments like "oh my god" or simply "no", please educate a fool like me and tell me positionally where this HUGE drop off is because right now I'm saying we are right there with them, I've said positionally where I think we are better, worse, or equal, and so far the two of your entire disagreements Polo and papersun consist of four words total that don't mean jack crap to support your position to be honest. Do you have more to offer?
  • Fire 3

If the only number you look at is where each respective class finished in the rankings on signing day.

I Like our current roster better than Iowa and Wiscy regardless of where they were ranked whn signed.

I put maybe 30% value on recruiting rankings - too many variables. Once they get to college they can't rely on natural ability like they did in high school so do they have a work ethic? Do they take care of kids with cancer or take bicycles? Injuries, home sick, being able to put three sentences together with out the help of a tutor. Don't forget women and drugs.

I don't think Texas will have enough players left to scrimmage against each other.

Do you really think so? Ohio State went 24-0 in the last two regular seasons and only lost to eventual Rose Bowl champion Michigan State and a talented Clemson team. Nebraska, meanwhile, was one hail mary from finishing the season 7-5 and we've fielded a wildly inconsistent team for the last several seasons.

Obviously you don't watch a lot of tOSU football. if you did you would know that they won about 5 games that for a lucky bounce they would have lost in Urban's first year there. Heck they barely beat Michigan last year. Almost anytime time a team goes undefeated they will win at least one they shouldn't have. Sometimes the bounces go your way, like OSU the last 2 years, or they go against you, like NW last year.

Also, it wasnt Bo's fault we threw 4 picks in the NW game.....unless he suited up without our knowing.

Concerning the talent though I dont care where they ranked outta HS once they sign here and begin camps, allabou developing. Tommy is now our biggest question mark on the talent vs skill / schedule vs quality.

Really I am excited to find out. Aren't most fans excited about what's to come in the upcoming season? Or have I been doing this all wrong for all of these years? Damn it why didn't anyone tell Me???

Sometimes I wonder.

As for the topic at hand. I think our schedule isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Sure, Wisky and Iowa have much easier draws than we do, but I like where our BYE weeks are at in the schedule.

vs. Florida Atlantic (Gimme)

vs. McNeese State (Gimme)

@ Fresno State (A good road test early in the season to gauge where we're at)

vs. Miami (FL) (The first true test of the season. Must protect home field)

vs. Illinois (A perfect opponent to ease into the conference slate)

@ Michigan State (Perhaps the toughest game of the season)

BYE (It would be perfect if this came prior to our trip to East Lansing, but that's how it goes. Regardless, it will be a much needed break)

@ Northwestern (No Kain Colter to chase around this time, but they will have Venric Mark back this year. Time to invade Evanston again)

vs. Rutgers (Not nearly as big of a gimme as some people make this out to be)

vs. Purdue (Definitely a gimme)

BYE (Now is the time to get healthy as we prepare for the 3 games that will likely decide the West. A rare November BYE will be huge for us)

@ Wisconsin (No need to explain this one. We need to land some punches against the Badgers or this series could get uglier)

vs. Minnesota (Senior Day 2014 will be a revenge game. Expect a huge game from #80 as he should be approaching the record books)

@ Iowa (f#*k em)

• Fire 1

I look at our schedule as a way to look really good nationally, and if we ever want to compete for the National title then this is what we have to do. Wisky and Iowa are picked ahead of us because of their "light" schedule, not because they are better teams we will have to wait and see fi we are the better team.

It seems many in this conversation would not make very good scouts. If you determine an individuals talents based only upon a teams succes, you just passed over 3/4 of the greatest players in history.

Right then, since in your estimation the Huskers are "easily right there with Ohio State," how many Husker players would crack a two-deep at Ohio State? Gregory and Abdullah? Bell, maybe? I guarantee you they're not watching Jordan Westerkamp and Tommy Armstrong and thinking, "man, I wish we recruited like Nebraska."

• Fire 1