Bar regulars . . .

Bingo.

If they are shitfaced daily, they obviously aren't going to have too much of a job and they probably don't have squat of a life other than sitting on a bar stool. Pretty pathetic life.

Go into any small town bar in a America and there will be 5-6 regulars in there almost every night. Usually they are some sort of a laborer for a farmer or contractor of some sort and that is there life. After work they go to the bar and have 4-5 drinks and go home.

This is pretty much one of our employees. I guess you would call him a functioning alcoholic. Goes to the bar every single day and gets shitfaced drunk. Some days he just can't take it anymore and has to leave work early to go get his fix. But, he is at work every day on time and, most days, is pretty damn good at what he does. I cannot believe he has never been picked up for drunk driving. He owns a nice home, takes care of his stuff, his wife has a really good paying job, and he is very family oriented. Just has the disease.....

Bingo.

If they are shitfaced daily, they obviously aren't going to have too much of a job and they probably don't have squat of a life other than sitting on a bar stool. Pretty pathetic life.

Go into any small town bar in a America and there will be 5-6 regulars in there almost every night. Usually they are some sort of a laborer for a farmer or contractor of some sort and that is there life. After work they go to the bar and have 4-5 drinks and go home.

This is pretty much one of our employees. I guess you would call him a functioning alcoholic. Goes to the bar every single day and gets shitfaced drunk. Some days he just can't take it anymore and has to leave work early to go get his fix. But, he is at work every day on time and, most days, is pretty damn good at what he does. I cannot believe he has never been picked up for drunk driving. He owns a nice home, takes care of his stuff, his wife has a really good paying job, and he is very family oriented. Just has the disease.....

I really do think it's a disease. It may be mental, but it's a disease nonetheless. I probably drink as much as the average Joe, but I don't crave the stuff. Heck, I keep a bottle of whiskey at work but I it just doesn't occur to me to drink at work. I've been in the same office for five years and I don't think I've once had a drink while working. Now, come 10:00pm at nice when I'm home, well, that's a different story. LOL. But even then I don't have more than one, maybe two, drinks. On most nights anyway. OTOH, I've seen guys who get smashed as soon as they get a few bucks in their pocket. I know a construction worker who works piecemeal. If the job takes two or three days the carpenter who he works for won't pay him until the job is over. If he pays him after the first day the guy will just go out and tie one on and won't show up for a couple of days. I guess that's the difference between having the disease and not. :lol:

Bingo.

I will freely admit that I will have 3-4 diet beers most nights when I get home. It just tastes good when I am hot after a long day of work. I don't do it at a bar though. I don't know if that makes me a functional alcoholic or not.

No one knows what it means, that is the issue. There are people that drank once and go to AA and 40 years later say they are addicted even though they never tried it again and there are people that drink 3 or more drinks a night and it never interferes with anything and they say they are fine.

During the summers I drink and hit the pool like a fish...when the school year starts I don't hit the pool at all and I drink a bit on Fridays and a lot on Saturday. I am not addicted to either.

Small town bars are dying off because of stricter drunk driving laws. Back when I was younger you'd see every bar with 15-20 people in them after work. Different time different circumstances. Also some bars make happy hour very affordable to get your drink on on the cheap.

Huh? I go to small town bars quite often and they are still like this. I wouldn't say they're dying off at all. In fact, I'd say they're getting more popular. My go-to bar usually has a busload of college students in it on Friday and Saturday nights that come down from Lincoln during the school year. They end up spending less by packing a bus and driving around to small town bars than they would by going out in Lincoln or Omaha. So maybe not all small town bars do well but ones that are close enough to Lincoln don't do so bad.

No one knows what it means, that is the issue. There are people that drank once and go to AA and 40 years later say they are addicted even though they never tried it again and there are people that drink 3 or more drinks a night and it never interferes with anything and they say they are fine.

During the summers I drink and hit the pool like a fish...when the school year starts I don't hit the pool at all and I drink a bit on Fridays and a lot on Saturday. I am not addicted to either.

Teach, we have your intervention scheduled for this Saturday.