Pentagon Official: The Facts Are In, And Obama’s Policy Is A Direct Danger To The United States

That says nothing that the right has not endlessly chanted. More military spending, larger armies, and more wars. Hinting at "dangers" and "threats" and somehow "not being able to respond" Place your bets on the guy who is too afraid to use his real name, has a cushy job lined up at some defense contractor for the near future.

• Fire 5

Here are some defense spending facts to chew on:

• Our defense budget is around $700 billion per year (700 x 10^9 or 7.0 x 10^11). LINK
  • There are around 100,000 public schools in the U.S., high school level and lower (1.0 x 10^5). LINK
  • A public school, on average, costs around $68 million to build, including land, materials, planning and labor. Let's throw a few extra computers in and call it $70 million each (7.0 x 10^7). LINK
  • Hence, we spend about the same amount each year on defense as it would cost to rebuild one in ten of the public schools in America with brand new buildings.

That's just f'ing ridiculous. We spend too much on defense already. Why don't we invest in infrastructure or education instead? :facepalm:

/ I posted this a while back in TGHusker's "Taxes to Increase" thread. I think it's relevant here.

edit: Correction due to one of my stats being off. There are 100,000 public schools in America, not 10,000. Also corrected the original in TGHusker's thread.

• Fire 6

That says nothing that the right has not endlessly chanted. More military spending, larger armies, and more wars. Hinting at "dangers" and "threats" and somehow "not being able to respond" Place your bets on the guy who is too afraid to use his real name, has a cushy job lined up at some defense contractor for the near future.

#boom

A nameless source cited by a conservative opinion rag the Daily Caller claims Obama's foreign policy is yack yack blah. Excuse me if I utterly disregard what any conservative has to say on foreign policy, especially as it pertains to the MidEast. You have zero credibility, nada, none. You might as well have Dick Cheney (or Morris) script this nonsense.

America needs less guns, less tanks, less nukes (we take care of the thousands of useless ones we already have on a shoestring budget, apparently), and less wars. No, not all wars are of our choosing, but let's get real. Our military completely outclasses every other one in existence, and most of the countries we would truly need to be worried about going to war with would be in that end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it category anyway, in which case there's not much point spending money toward that end.

• Fire 4

• Our defense budget is around $700 billion per year (700 x 10^9 or 7.0 x 10^11). LINK
  • There are around 10,000 public schools in the U.S., high school level and lower (1.0 x 10^4). LINK
  • A public school, on average, costs around $68 million to build, including land, materials, planning and labor. Let's throw a few extra computers in and call it $70 million each (7.0 x 10^7). LINK
  • Hence, we spend about the same amount each year on defense as it would cost to rebuild every public school in America with brand new buildings.

That's just f'ing ridiculous. We spend too much on defense already. Why don't we invest in infrastructure or education instead? :facepalm:

/ I posted this a while back in TGHusker's "Taxes to Increase" thread. I think it's relevant here.

This. So much this. I wish I could give you more than a single +1.

#boom

A nameless source cited by a conservative opinion rag the Daily Caller claims Obama's foreign policy is yack yack blah. Excuse me if I utterly disregard what any conservative has to say on foreign policy, especially as it pertains to the MidEast. You have zero credibility, nada, none. You might as well have Dick Cheney (or Morris) script this nonsense.

America needs less guns, less tanks, less nukes (we take care of the thousands of useless ones we already have on a shoestring budget, apparently), and less wars. No, not all wars are of our choosing, but let's get real. Our military completely outclasses every other one in existence, and most of the countries we would truly need to be worried about going to war with would be in that end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it category anyway, in which case there's not much point spending money toward that end.

Husker X, I like your style.

#boom

Husker X, I like your style.

Why thanks, bud.

How much do we spend on Immigration or how much do we pend on rebuilding everyone else's schools hospital etc. I think cutting funds on the one thing that keeps us safe and able to debate this the way we do is just plain ludicrous. Especially with all of the uneasiness going on in the world.

• There are around 10,000 100,000 public schools in the U.S., high school level and lower (1.0 x 10^4 1.0 x 10^5). LINK
  • Hence, we spend about the same amount each year on defense as it would cost to rebuild one in every ten public schools in America with brand new buildings.

Thanks, man. But I actually had a stat wrong. There are 100k public schools in America, not 10k. So the DoD budget would be enough to rebuild 10% of all public schools, not all of them. I corrected it above. Sorry for the misleading stat. My bad. :lol:

• There are around 10,000 100,000 public schools in the U.S., high school level and lower (1.0 x 10^4 1.0 x 10^5). LINK
  • Hence, we spend about the same amount each year on defense as it would cost to rebuild one in every ten public schools in America with brand new buildings.

Thanks, man. But I actually had a stat wrong. There are 100k public schools in America, not 10k. So the DoD budget would be enough to rebuild 10% of all public schools, not all of them. I corrected it above. Sorry for the misleading stat. My bad. :lol:

And, the DoD budget is not going to go away 100% no matter who gets their way. We will always have a DoD that we spend one heck of a lot on.

However, we should be looking at ways to cut it maybe 10-20% that would be a start. 20% would put $140,000,000,000 back into the budget to do other stuff.

This is the type of thing that I harp on a lot about the government needs to still do stuff but be more efficient at doing them. Not to prop up Bill Clinton but this is something his administration preached about a ton. Still getting the same things done but more efficiently, allows you to do more things for the same amount of money.

And, the DoD budget is not going to go away 100% no matter who gets their way. We will always have a DoD that we spend one heck of a lot on.

However, we should be looking at ways to cut it maybe 10-20% that would be a start. 20% would put $140,000,000,000 back into the budget to do other stuff.

This is the type of thing that I harp on a lot about the government needs to still do stuff but be more efficient at doing them. Not to prop up Bill Clinton but this is something his administration preached about a ton. Still getting the same things done but more efficiently, allows you to do more things for the same amount of money.

Agree 100%. A good goal would be to shift 10 to 20% into other areas--like infrastructure or education. Or maybe just not spend it at all. chuckleshuffle

This is one of the reasons the conservative "tax and spend liberal" line never made sense to me. Conservatives looooove to spend "other peoples" money––on war, police and prisons anyway. My case is that we need to stop wasting our money on bullets, tanks, nukes, soldiers waiting around on bases spread across the world, and start using that money on building things, exploring space, running up the score on alternative energy tech so we can produce it, export it, and simultaneously defeat Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iran, ISIS, Egypt, Syria, and every oil-rich sandpit in one fell swoop.

The military is a part of those projects, by the way. Cut the DoD by ten percent, funnel it into NASA, and see where this country is at in a century.

• Fire 1

This is one of the reasons the conservative "tax and spend liberal" line never made sense to me. Conservatives looooove to spend "other peoples" money––on war, police and prisons anyway. My case is that we need to stop wasting our money on bullets, tanks, nukes, soldiers waiting around on bases spread across the world, and start using that money on building things, exploring space, running up the score on alternative energy tech so we can produce it, export it, and simultaneously defeat Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iran, ISIS, Egypt, Syria, and every oil-rich sandpit in one fell swoop.

The military is a part of those projects, by the way. Cut the DoD by ten percent, funnel it into NASA, and see where this country is at in a century.

Unfortunately, both sides see no problem spending other people's money. That is why I have little faith that our fiscal house will never change.

So the kids will have to wait 10 years for a new school? Guess they'll just have to rough it and fight of the vermin :)