Grobe Regrets Not Taking Husker Job

Mavric

The big money donors have a lot of sway. At least a couple of them really wanted Bo and there's still powerful backing in his corner.

Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Grobe was absolutely one of the three top candidates......and it was really either Grobe or Pelini. Yay for Grobe for talking about his regrets. Meanwhile, back at the ranch Pelini has assembled some nice talent for the upcoming season. And yes, possibly the most important thing is Pelini does still have powerful backing.

I really liked Grobe and Pat Hill. I think either of them would have done great things at Nebraska. I know Tom really wanted him here. Pat Hill never got the opportunity, but would have turned it down to. Does anyone know what he is doing now. Two very good men. Sad to see them both out of head coaching.

Grobe was never going to coach here. He was out of the running when he wanted to bring his own staff in and Osborne wanted to make sure there was continuity.

Tom wanted Watson to remain, really the only stipulation, and Grobe said no. Really kind of stupid on his part, but then again we had just fired a 9 win coach. But I would think he knew the whole story on that. I liked him, knew some things that Bo had done after leaving that I did not like, truly felt he would have us in trouble almost instantly. Was way off base on that. He has done a great job on that side of the house. Keeps the kids in line, and that truly means more to me than wins and losses. I am far more upset about how we lose and why we lose than I am about the numbers of either.

• Fire 1

A good coach and recruiter should have no troubles recruiting elite athletes to WF and Grobe did.

Sorry, but I disagree. While Grobe was able to get kids to play Initially (new coach, new blood), part of the reason he wasn't able to keep that up as Wake Forest needed (and still does per some online accounts) serious facilities upgrades for their AD. Those upgrades never came per the article. Upgraded ADs and facilities are important, sad to say, in this day and age. Just the name and tradition of a school doesn't cut it anymore.

But don't take my word for it--look at Florida State, who was being outspent by the whole of the SEC and losing recruits to the likes of Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Kentucky. It was so bad, Florida State started shopping for a new conference, which is part of the reason the ACC realignment talk started. The deficit was something around $90m difference per 10 years between the whole of the SEC (dreg to 'Bama) and FSU, IIRC. That's a serious gap in funding that did show over time that started impacting their recruiting.