Our Head Coach

What makes you think that Coach Callahan doesnt want to make a career out of coaching college football,

Maybe he does, IMO, NU will not be his last job. If he does turn this around, I think he will try to parlay it into an NFL HC job, and if he doesnt, then I think he may end up an OC either in the NFL or college. He just has an NFL mentality, more of an "NFL guy."

after all, he has been quoted to saying that he wants to finish his career at nebraska...

He also said other things that as it turns out, were not sincere.

You know, it's sad that on every board you cannot get into a discussion without a troll who blatantly baits people into arguments.  Why the mods leave him around, I do not understand. If he actually provided something to the board, rather than the constant aggravation of everyone, I might understand.

Im sorry youre not open-minded enough to consider an opinion that is differs from yours. I have my opinion you have yours :cheers

I do provide something, its called thinking outside the box.

He's doing alright. What he has undertaken is not an easy task (the change in offense, amidst a sloppy firing, etc, etc). The end of this last year it really seemed like everyone (coaches and players) was finally on the same page and working towards the same goal.

He's got my support.

What makes you think that Coach Callahan doesnt want to make a career out of coaching college football,

Maybe he does, IMO, NU will not be his last job. If he does turn this around, I think he will try to parlay it into an NFL HC job, and if he doesnt, then I think he may end up an OC either in the NFL or college. He just has an NFL mentality, more of an "NFL guy."

after all, he has been quoted to saying that he wants to finish his career at nebraska...

He also said other things that as it turns out, were not sincere.

i perceive him way differently than you then. but we all know what you think of this staff so its almost night and day between our perceptions. while his offense is NFL-type i see him appreciating the student-mentor style of college football. if he wanted the nfl we would have tried to stay in the nfl IMO.

care to share some of callahan's insincere quotes?

Key To A championship Program:

1) Administration comittment & support-

Perlman & Peterson are both desiring and pushing for a championship; they are "two P's in a pod."

2) Quality Coaching-

Coaching staff must have experienced assist. coaches in all postions.

Must have an HC who can manage his coaching staff and provide a winning climate to players.

Must have excellent game preparation and game day flexibility of X's & O's.

Must have long term continuity of coaches' tenures.

3) Recruiting-

Without top talent, then all of the above will be shortchanged. This success is through good contacts, a repore with high schools/JR colleges & hard, hard work.

4) Fan Support-

Game attendance, state Husker clubs and across the board enthusiasm.

It seems to me that we have most of these elements. The staff is trying hard to get back to the state high schools and the other is the long term tenures of the staff, which hopefully plays out.

By the way, BC was burned badly with his experience with the prima donna veterans in Oakland his last year. This may have been almost as bad as the disgruntled Husker fans' complaints following Solich's firing!

I believe this is his last stop.

Also, when is the last time that NU has been Big 12 North Champions?

"What throat slash?? That was not a throat slash"

lol thats so funny. i love it. a heat of the moment type thing when the Uselesscheck's ref squad was killing us all day and all season for that matter. gesturegate doesnt really bother me though. neither does the @#$%ing hillbillies comment. i thought it was funny.

but what does that have to do with a coach saying as of right now he would love to finish his career at nebraska?

but what does that have to do with a coach saying as of right now he would love to finish his career at nebraska?

After this, Im done with this topic (even though there is plenty to rebutt):

It shows that he had no problem telling a blatant untruth publicly. It calls his honesty and integrity into question.

Who knows if he's telling the truth?

Callahan, in the last few games, really looked as though he was starting to have fun coaching Nebraska.

"I guess we won," from the end of the Alamo Bowl kinda hints that he knew they could, and would win, all along despite being a double-digit underdog.

My final thoughts on this thread are simple...

GO BIG RED! :thumbs

From the start I thought Callahan was ill-prepared to take over a program that I believe he knew little about. He wasn't prepared for the rabid fans having this kind of passion and face it a lot of tradition went down the tubes last year with just a shrug of the shoulders. However this year I think he bought into the Nebraska tradition and that helped a lot in dealing with the media and his public image and of course some wins did not hurt. With that said, I don't know why recruiting, which is this staff's strong point seems to be down this year (last I saw we were around 17th in the country). It seems we need a few more years of top ten classes to get us where we want to be.

"What throat slash?? That was not a throat slash"

He later explained that at the time he did that, he was making a reference like he does sometimes with his kids, saying "I've had it up to here." He said he didn't make an intentional throat slash gesture and when the tape was reviewed that was the explanation he gave. He said this on Big Red Report w/Jim Rose.

Back to the topic: Are you happy with this coaching staff? I'm glad that 99% of the fan base is. And if not, please give a reason why not?

You know, it's sad that on every board you cannot get into a discussion without a troll who blatantly baits people into arguments. Why the mods leave him around, I do not understand. If he actually provided something to the board, rather than the constant aggravation of everyone, I might understand.

In any case, I highly doubt BC is going anywhere. The pro game is too much of a crapshoot and I doubt he goes thru the revolving door yet again. For all he did with the likes of Rich Gannon, Charlie Garner, Tyrone Wheatley, etc., and to be given the door one season after going to the Super Bowl? You know that BC was highly tweaked over the lack of respect shown and I cannot blame him.

Once he rights the ship completely at Nebraska, he will achieve a status he will NEVER get in the NFL. As long as Cally wins, the money, fame and respect will follow him throughout the state of Nebraska.

To put it this way...

Cally could walk into an old folks home in Tenbucktoo, Nebraska and every patron would want to shake his hand, take pictures and talk to him.

Go to Oakland and they would be telling him they don't enjoy the game of foosball.

I truely believe Cally has found his last stop (granted he wins) in his coaching career.

Couldn't have said it any better Willie, specially the first paragraph

I have said from the beginning that I am not sold on BC...... This year, I thought he took strides into really "appreciating" what Nebraska football is all about..... Last year, I felt he was a little stubborn... it was like he was saying it is "my team, and it will run my way, and I could care less about what happened berfore me".....

This year, I could sense that he really started to develop a relationship with the players, university, and fans.... College is soooo much different than the NFL.... I thought that last year, he treated it like a "business" (NFL), but this year, he seemed to be "passionate" and "really cared about kids learning" (college).

I am excited about BC being here.... I am becoming "sold" on him and his philosophy..... as long as the OL can block, this scheme will work....whenever Taylor had time, we had WR running wide open.

Callahan, in the last few games, really looked as though he was starting to have fun coaching Nebraska.

"I guess we won," from the end of the Alamo Bowl kinda hints that he knew they could, and would win, all along despite being a double-digit underdog.

My final thoughts on this thread are simple...

GO BIG RED! :thumbs

Winning will do that to a coach. They look a lot more relaxed and comfortable when they win. BC didn't look real comfortable last year or after the KU game this year. He changed greatly following the CU and MU games.

I think BC's whole attitude the first year was hold on to the reins tight gonna be a bumpy ride. Huge change that was rough on the coaching staff, players and especially us the fans :) . This year he started to see improvement in the way the offense and defense started playing even though some may say the stats weren't that much better; the players were more cohesive and played as a team. The last three games were starting to show what his teachings were about. IMHO. Next year with a much more acclimated staff and players and infusion of new talent who knows?

I LIKE BC.

GBR

Callahan has really impressed me this season with the relationships he and his staff developed with the players. They seem to be really close, with such a positive and winning attitude. A guy who comes in, with a picked staff and the relationship he has developed among all on the team makes me believe he is here for the long run, and winning being something that will be included. I was very happy about how the way we ended this season as a team. You could say he completely won me over, from how we ended the season so positively. People said once he got here that it would be 2-3 years before he has an affect on the team to be winning with the WCO...well guess what, that 2-3 years is here already and we saw a preview of next year in the last 3 games. If the belief that it will take 3 years for him to be successful with the WCO in lincoln is true, then we are for sure on the right track and will be high flying next season...proving doubters wrong.