Tim Beck comments from the Big Red Breakfast

knapplc

I caught where Bo said in the post-game presser that Tommy pre-determined where the ball would go today, and didn't actually make reads. That was obvious on several plays where he had wide-open running lanes, but gave it to Ameer, who crashed into a wall of McNeese State D Line.

The offense seems anchored by the Zone Read, which is why Tommy's running the show. But if you're not making a read, if you're pre-determining what you're going to do, you are doing it wrong.

Tommy eschewed a wide-open Ameer play after play today, instead throwing into coverage, or sailing passes long. This was not a good performance for Armstrong. He needs to clean up his decision-making in the passing game, and if he can't, put Fyfe in. I don't care if Fyfe can't run like Armstrong, we don't need the QB to spearhead this rushing attack with guys like Abdullah, Cross & Newby.

To play devil's advocate, TA had 131 yards rushing with an 11.9 ypc.

To be fair he was also responsible for a 9 point flip.

True, I was pointing out that TA had a good day running the ball.

He did.

I caught where Bo said in the post-game presser that Tommy pre-determined where the ball would go today, and didn't actually make reads. That was obvious on several plays where he had wide-open running lanes, but gave it to Ameer, who crashed into a wall of McNeese State D Line.

The offense seems anchored by the Zone Read, which is why Tommy's running the show. But if you're not making a read, if you're pre-determining what you're going to do, you are doing it wrong.

Decision wise this could have been one of his worst outings, in the passing and read game.

• Fire 1

Tommy eschewed a wide-open Ameer play after play today

In years past, things like this would have been put on Beck's shoulders (and rightfully so). What's changed?

I think TM shouldered more blame for things like this than the OC in years past. OC and QB always get roasted when the offense doesn't perform.