Tim Beck comments from the Big Red Breakfast

knapplc

I think more than anything, it was important last year for Tommy to not get completely thrown to the wolves and have drives where he'd be on the sideline watching and learning. Good for a young QB's development and it lessened what would have been an immense amount of pressure for a young QB in a tough season.

• Fire 1

And as far as the qb rotation goes, I guess i'm one that never understood the point other than giving our 5th year, walkon senior a chance over the freshman. And i'm not gettin into this "Kellogg saved northwestern game" cuz Tommy coulda made that throw just as easily as Ron did. I just never really saw anything that suggested there was something that Ron offered that Tommy couldnt do. If anything, I thought it hampered us a little cuz the qb run game was all but eliminated and the key on Ameer went through the roof. I think Tommy knowing it's his from go this year has also been a major instrument of motivation through the offseason. It's a totally different mindset when you go into a season #1 as opposed to #2.

Kellogg had earned it, and he did offer up things that Tommy couldn't.

Forget the hail mary throw - what about the laser to Quincy that would have set up the field goal that Quincy dropped? What about the 4th and 15 to Ameer? That entire drive was all on Ron Kellogg when Tommy had thrown three interceptions and hardly done anything all game.

Whether that was his knee or being a freshman or what nobody knows, but Ron threw the ball better, with more accuracy, and a much better touchdown/interception ratio.

That was all Ameer, man. No doubt about it. Catches an off the mark pass, makes a guy miss, and then runs through another defender and stretches for the first. All to keep the game alive. Any QB could have made that dunk pass, but Ameer made the play. To say that entire drive was all Kellogg is laughable.

Ameer was his third progression after scrambling around for six seconds. Forgive me if I don't think Tommy would have had the mental ability to get to the point of Ameer even having the ball in his hands in the first place.

And as far as the qb rotation goes, I guess i'm one that never understood the point other than giving our 5th year, walkon senior a chance over the freshman. And i'm not gettin into this "Kellogg saved northwestern game" cuz Tommy coulda made that throw just as easily as Ron did. I just never really saw anything that suggested there was something that Ron offered that Tommy couldnt do. If anything, I thought it hampered us a little cuz the qb run game was all but eliminated and the key on Ameer went through the roof. I think Tommy knowing it's his from go this year has also been a major instrument of motivation through the offseason. It's a totally different mindset when you go into a season #1 as opposed to #2.

Forget the hail mary throw - what about the laser to Quincy that would have set up the field goal that Quincy dropped? What about the 4th and 15 to Ameer? That entire drive was all on Ron Kellogg when Tommy had thrown three interceptions and hardly done anything all game.

Whether that was his knee or being a freshman or what nobody knows, but Ron threw the ball better, with more accuracy, and a much better touchdown/interception ratio.

That was all Ameer, man. No doubt about it. Catches an off the mark pass, makes a guy miss, and then runs through another defender and stretches for the first. All to keep the game alive. Any QB could have made that dunk pass, but Ameer made the play. To say that entire drive was all Kellogg is laughable.

Ameer was his third progression after scrambling around for six seconds. Forgive me if I don't think Tommy would have had the mental ability to get to the point of Ameer even having the ball in his hands in the first place.

Except if Ameer doesn't get that 1st down. Then we're all complaining why Kellogg threw the ball 5 yards behind the first down maker when it's 4th down.

Except if Ameer doesn't get that 1st down. Then we're all complaining why Kellogg threw the ball 5 yards behind the first down maker when it's 4th down.

Since Ameer was his third option, I don't know, I'd guess he threw it to him because everyone else was covered???

You are historically missing the point and your argument is askin to if Quincy doesn't catch that 99 yard touchdown then we're all complaining about why Beck called a bomb from the one inch line and why Tommy threw such a stupid pass.

I love this. Your disdain for Tommy never dies and probably never will, it always makes me smile though so keep it up. He is already proving the doubters wrong, and will continue to.

What is best about this little tidbit from you is that you knock Tommy for his mental ability to read through his progressions and find that third option, yet your love affair with Martinez.....a guy who never progressed through his reads well at all and never checked down to a third route ever in his career.

• Fire 1

Tommy had trouble last year seeing the field. But point out what freshman doesn't? You'll point out the obvious Heisman winning freshman QB's, but those are obviously anomalies. Which is why they won the Heisman...

There have been TONS of freshman QB's that have trouble seeing the field, similar to what Tommy did.

Does anyone remember the Backup QB that took over for OSU in 2011 when Braxton Miller went out? He was a disaster. An absolute disaster. Dude has one completion. He also threw a costly pick.

How about the QB that took over for Michigan in 2012 when Denard Robinson went out? Another disaster. He went 3-18 and threw 3 picks.

Those are all players that took over for some pretty good QB's.

We may feel like complaining about Tommy, but he is actually beyond better than average for being thrown into the fire. Going 7-1 as a starter and a great leader. Tommie Frazier threw 44% his freshman year, and was 5-2 as a starter.

• Fire 1

I love this. Your disdain for Tommy never dies and probably never will, it always makes me smile though so keep it up. He is already proving the doubters wrong, and will continue to.

What is best about this little tidbit from you is that you knock Tommy for his mental ability to read through his progressions and find that third option, yet your love affair with Martinez.....a guy who never progressed through his reads well at all and never checked down to a third route ever in his career.

What's even better than that is that I was comparing him to Ron Kellogg in the worst game of his career 10 months ago, and you decide to bring up Taylor Martinez quite literally out of nowhere, a few hours after this nugget earlier today:

Can Nick Bahe go more than two days without comparing Tommy to TM. It's like picking a scab

It seems to be the hot topic for a lot of people. For me, the two aren't even comparable. I don't compare QB's and track stars.

Today, 11:58 AM

We have beaten FAU, we play cheeseburger state, Fresno and then Miami. None have been impressive this year so far. Calm down a little, Tommy maybe the best QB in the country, I sure don't know, but I am not ready to say he sees things better or worse by the competition he has faced. Let him grow, show that he really is as good as some think. He has played great the last two games. But Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa will be tough games. Let's see how he does in those before we start making him sound like Joe Montana.

We have beaten FAU, we play cheeseburger state, Fresno and then Miami. None have been impressive this year so far. Calm down a little, Tommy maybe the best QB in the country, I sure don't know, but I am not ready to say he sees things better or worse by the competition he has faced. Let him grow, show that he really is as good as some think. He has played great the last two games. But Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa will be tough games. Let's see how he does in those before we start making him sound like Joe Montana.

What is this in response to?

What is this in response to?

Yeah! They had a good ole fashioned monkey sh#t fight going and you had to go interrupt it with your "voice of reason" and reserved judgment. Way to go Buttinski.

?

The talk of Tommy being so much better this year. How he sees the field, better quicker. When your playing little league teams, you look good, or better.

I just hate it that we put all this pressure on kids, from having a good game against less that a stellar opponent. Tommy may be that good, I hope so, but I have yet to see the level of player some talk about him being. He is young, he needs to grow in a lot of ways to be what this program needs at QB. Some have him there and did last year. Give the kid time and the team time.

Has TA improved? IMO, yes. He looks calmer in the pocket (easier with little pressure), appears faster and more decisive. Its his team. He knows it and it shows.

Last year, no one really thought (Bo included), we would need the back up. For 3 years, Martinez was the man. At times, even when obviously injured. He goes down and both TA and RKIII are called to task. Guess what? Implement a game plan that both can execute. So instead of spending all practice readying TA, RKII gets work and vice versa. No real time to work with either one as the rest of the team needs to learn the game plan for the next game. Throw in two different styles, two different cadences, throwing style, velocity etc and you have a recipe for disaster that NU managed to take to a 9 win season. beating Michigan in the Big House (first loss in forever) and UGA of the awesome SEC. Not to mention TA banged up.

Give him a chance. Will he be the next "big thing" at NU? Who knows, but he does seem to have the respect of the team and coaches and the unteachable, unlearnable and untrainable "it" factor. 5th most yards by NU, most in B1g modern era and no TO's. For today, I will take it and him.