The Enemy of my Enemy - US arms Hezbolla against ISIS

ISIS may very well be the devil incarnate but I have serious concerns about providing any weapons or intelligence to groups such as Hezbollah. Nothing good can possibly come from that long term. The enemy of our enemy may be the situation but it will require weighing the lesser of two evils and exhausting all other possibilities first. Hell, it has to be against the law at this point in time for us to provide these things to Hezbollah due to anti-terrorism efforts. What a sh#t sandwich we let take a foot hold over there by walking away with no plan to maintaining any advances made. This is one time where "Thanks Obama" is warranted.

• Fire 1

What a sh#t sandwich we let take a foot hold over there by walking away with no plan to maintaining any advances made. This is one time where "Thanks Obama" is warranted.

What plausible alternative wouldn't have been a sh#t sandwich? #ThanksW

You are correct, most any alternate would still be a sh#t sandwich but I'm guessing most any of those alternate sandwiches would taste just a little bit better. Sure, we can thank W for originally getting us involved but that doesn't exonerate Obama from getting us uninvolved incorrectly. If I'm not mistaken, we are now still "involved" anyway. I guess it goes towards what I would consider his naïve and simple-minded approach to most foreign policy, and especially the middle east, terrorism, and anything having to do with his comments on how W mishandled things. It's easy to throw rocks when you're not the guy making the actual decisions. Karma's a bitch.

I guess it goes towards what I would consider his naïve and simple-minded approach to most foreign policy, and especially the middle east, terrorism . . .

You're talking about Obama here? :blink:

Yes. Don't take partial statements out of context and you won't struggle figuring it out. :P

But, to make you happy, yes, GW also engaged in some simple-minded and one size fits all approaches to concerns with terrorism. I just give him a bit of a break on it because, unlike Obama, he was treading new water and dealing with more unknowns at the time he made his mistakes. Obama's national security "experts" requested him to not simply walk away from Iraq like he decided to do anyway. Like I said, it's easy to throw rocks when you're not the guy making the actual decisions and hindsight is 20/20. I think Obama is finding out much of his criticisms of W's handling of things is much easier said than done. At least I hope he is figuring that out.

I guess it goes towards what I would consider his naïve and simple-minded approach to most foreign policy, and especially the middle east, terrorism . . .

You're talking about Obama here? :blink:

Yes. Don't take partial statements out of context and you won't struggle figuring it out. :P

But, to make you happy, yes, GW also engaged in some simple-minded and one size fits all approaches to concerns with terrorism. I just give him a bit of a break on it because, unlike Obama, he was treading new water and dealing with more unknowns at the time he made his mistakes. Obama's national security "experts" requested him to not simply walk away from Iraq like he decided to do anyway. Like I said, it's easy to throw rocks when you're not the guy making the actual decisions and hindsight is 20/20. I think Obama is finding out much of his criticisms of W's handling of things is much easier said than done. At least I hope he is figuring that out.

Obama had backed himself into a corner due to campaign promises to get us completely out of Iraq.

Arming Hezbollah is a train wreck in waiting...

But you think we'd have learned from arming the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion...

Well it did help rid Afghanistan of those pesky russkies. But once again we screwed up the end game. Maybe it's inevitable with war.......people get too fed up, disgusted, and averse to it before it can be ended properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Arming Hezbollah is a train wreck in waiting...

But you think we'd have learned from arming the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion...

Well it did help rid of those pesky russkies. But once again we screwed up the end game. Maybe it's inevitable with war.......people get too fed up, disgusted, and averse to it before it can be ended properly.

Would we be better off now if we had not helped the Mujahidin and let Russia have Afghanistan?

T_O_B