We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

We could easily lose to Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Rutgers is better than expected and even Northwestern looked good against previously unbeaten Penn State.

Bottom line, we have plenty of work left on this schedule and we're accumulating injuries rapidly. We have a team that looks worthy to get to Indianapolis but they need to stay focused.

This is a fabulous start and I couldn't be happier. We just have a LOT left on our plate.

This should have been the OP...

• Fire 2

Gotta be careful because the argument being made here cuts both ways.

If accomplishment is nothing without a high-caliber opponent, we'll be hearing that the Big 10 signifies nothing, regardless of Saturday's outcome.

If our first five games were cupcakes and padding, what does that say for Ameer Abdullah's Heisman campaign?

I'm still determined to wait till the end of the season to make my predictions.

Gotta be careful because the argument being made here cuts both ways.

If accomplishment is nothing without a high-caliber opponent, we'll be hearing that the Big 10 signifies nothing, regardless of Saturday's outcome.

If our first five games were cupcakes and padding, what does that say for Ameer Abdullah's Heisman campaign?

I'm still determined to wait till the end of the season to make my predictions.

If you do that, they won't be predictions. :)

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.

But beat Michigan State...........

and then lose to Northwestern and/or Rutgers, more injuries mount, Wisconsin stomps our injury riddle defense, and we wind up losing a bowl game. Then what?

We can't possibly lose to Northwestern. That team is a shambles. But Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and a bowl game? Absolute possibilities.

And then, like polo says, we'll have to change something. Whether that's the coaching staff, the head coach, offensive/defensive philosophies - something will have to change.

Tell that to Penn State - we once didn't think we could ever lose to Iowa State (even under Tom in 92, Kansas etc. Anything can happen with a Bo coached team. High one week, down the next. So far this year, it appears they are more mentally prepared - I think AA and Bell have a lot to do wt it and Bo post Iowa rant and realizing he, surprised, still had a job.