Open Letter to the team - MSU 2014 Edition

Redux

I can see how you would take it that way in print but there is a difference between saying these guys suck lets not even take them seriously and hey these guys are beatable and we are just as talented as they are. There is a difference between confidence and overconfidence or cockiness. I want my team to think they are the better team and have a chip on their shoulder because no one else does. This isn't David and Goliath and you don't want your team going in thinking that way. That's just giving them a built in excuse to lose. "Well they were so much better then us it was a Longshot anyway"

Michigan State has a stellar defense. They have a vastly imoroved offense. They have home field advantage. This is not an easy game. I envy your confidence. Im nervous Ill admit. I know we are capable of winning and winning handily. But weve gotta play perfect football. We cant play with mistakes. We have to beat them up. If we go in with the overrated approach we will lose. This is a tall task, but achievable if we have the right mindset.

Agreed. No where did I say they were bad. I just think they are overrated right now based on what I've objectively seen. We do have to play well to win.

I am more confident about this game then I have been about NU in a big game for a while. I'm not an optimist regarding this team by nature either.

Hey maybe I'm wrong but I do know that I want my team going in there thinking they are the better team and hell bent on proving the pundits wrong.

I dont want them thinking they are the better team, they need to know it, to feel it and to want it.

CockIness is not a strength here. This is a big road game. Sparty may not have the most intimidating venue but at night with serious post season implications on the line, this place could be wild since last time we went there we ripped victory out of their hands with seconds to spare.

We need to be the more well oiled machine to acieve the win. Thats why they beat us at home last year. We had the home field advantage and the more talented team, but they played better. We just have to return the favor.

Both teams will have to have their "A" games to win this week. Sparty can't just go through the motions, either. From what I'm hearing about the weather forecast, it just might be the team that doesn't panic when it gets sloppy, which could easily happen in bad weather. I think it's going to come down to the play along the line of scrimmage on both sides. I know this is not some big revelation, but the team that is able to get some push on the line of scrimmage will have the advantage. Ameer will have a hard time with hard cuts and bouncing around, but his balance after contact will be huge. If that contact comes 3 yards beyond the line, it will be a good night. I would think that Imani could get some more carries, he's not exactly Tigger out there and his speed and power could be useful. How big are Tommie Armstrong's hands? If he can get a decent grip on a wet ball, the playaction will be there.

I think despite our different confidence level in the outcome we are on the same page Redux. These kids don't need to hear about how great MSU is. They aren't idiots. They know it's a big game and if they aren't taking it seriously at this point, nothing will change that.

This team needs to get a little swagger back. As you said they need to know they are better.

Never thought I'd see the day we would tiptoe around Michigan State like they were the second coming of the Michael Irvin Alonzo Highsmith Canes

We are bigger up front on O and D. At all times during this game we will have the best player on the field. This game will come down to execution. If we have a clean game or limit the mistakes to a minimum we will win. We have had success against this team in the past. We know it and they know it.

Offensively we are going to run the ball and mix in some play action. If they load the box which I think they will Bell, Westerkamp and company have to get seperation and make them pay. If you burn them early they wont be so willing to stack the box. I also expect a trick play...Bo dosent do these things but Saturday is where I could see it happen.

Defensively I believe we get after them. Bringing more than they can block and playing almost press coverage when blitzing. We need to speed up Cook when he drops in the pocket. We need to hit him early and often. Need to let him know we are coming all 4 quarters. If the Blackshirts play with good technique and dont do anything out of the norm and play assignment football I think we can frustrate Sparty by creating 3rd and longs. Were not going to shut them out or anything but if you can limit them to 25 or so that is a job well done.

The other thing....were the dog and no one is picking us. MSU is the home team with No 10 ranking in the country coming off a Rose Bowl victory all the pressure is on them. This isnt the be all end all either, theyre not even in our division. They have everything to lose and we have everything to gain. We are a confident group that isnt getting any attention as an underdog. This is a great position to be in.