It's becoming 'cool' to be a 'Husker fan again

I travel. A lot (100+ night / year in a hotel most years). For years, I'd go meet clients or co-workers who work elsewhere from me and within the first hour of our meeting / conversation / et al the Huskers would come up. Something like: You guys have a great football team or Nebraskan's sure love their Huskers or You think you guys will win it all this year? Stuff like that...

Then - it all stopped - on a dime. Sometime years ago, probably after Callahan's first year. And I mean it stopped completely. For years, no one has asked me about the Huskers or the football season or anything of the like...UNLESS I would be in MKE, Wisc. Then they'd rub it in, but even that's only been the last few years since we joined the B1G.

Anyway, long story short: A trip to San Diego this week (a town that REALLY doesn't give two sh!ts about CFB), I had 3 different people ask about the team! One guy wanted to talk about how much we've improved. Another wanted to talk about the Fresno St game and if I went. Another wanted to talk about the 'big game' this week. Wearing my blackshirts hat in the airport sparked a few good convos as well.

Honestly, I'm shocked. It's an astonishing event to me, because it signals some real change in our national perception. I personally have had no better way to litmus test the way folks think about our program other than conversation on the road.

I know it means nothing to the results on the field this year, I know it means even less for the results to this coming game. It might have a recruiting benefit, but I'm not smart enough to know that.

What I do know is this: This change of events is COOL! FINALLY - I get to talk Husker football with folks not from here again, without boring them to death.

Sorry for any spl grammar issues...typing quick while in the AP.

• Fire 4

When I honeymooned in Jamaica last year we met a Canadian couple. 5 min. in they asked where in US we lived. When I said Nebraska he asked me how good I thought the Huskers were going to be.

This summer at Disney World, a dude in a Spartans shirt gave me a "Go Big Red!". Good times are back!

Wearing Nebraska stuff in other places almost always strikes up conversations.

When i first started going to Nebraska in 2007 I got my folks a bunch of Nebraska stuff. My dad always talks about how when he is wearing husker gear he gets stopped and people ask him about Nebraska.

I think a big piece is we are thought of as an approachable fan base and a very passionate/knowledgeable fan base.

Now that i live in MN, i rarely can go anywhere without running in to fellow Husker fans.

When it comes to is it "cool", not sure but I think people like and respect the Huskers... Can find Husker fans everywhere.

In 2012 while living in the Seattle area I was wearing a NU Baseball shirt and was stopped by a guy in a grocery store to discuss the team and how Erstad was doing. It turns out he was originally form Nebraska. Nebraska is not known for much, but we are definitely famous for football. I have noticed that my grade school son and his friends are taking an interest to Nebraska football now.