DB's not finding the ball in the air

Note from Bo's presser today: Kalu had basically practiced CB none. They threw him in their because he busted his butt all week at his Dime/Nickel spot and the other CB's behind Davie didn't. Kalu played pretty good for being thrown into the fire, something that will pay dividends down the road.

Saw that as well. Probably doesn't bode well for Rose. Possibly Joseph either.

Note from Bo's presser today: Kalu had basically practiced CB none. They threw him in their because he busted his butt all week at his Dime/Nickel spot and the other CB's behind Davie didn't. Kalu played pretty good for being thrown into the fire, something that will pay dividends down the road.

Saw that as well. Probably doesn't bode well for Rose. Possibly Joseph either.

Kalu might give Pierson-El a run for impact freshman of the year on our team. It's nice to see him get some playing time and that he's busting his but in practice.

I did have high hopes for Rose after he transferred in, but if he's being beaten out by a true freshman, so be it.

I would rather our DBs stick with the receivers and remain in position to make a play on the ball or tackle the receiver than trying to turn to find the ball and losing the receiver.

I would hope every player is busting his butt each week during the season. The season's not that long. If a player can't bring it during the season I hate to think of how much slacking goes on from January to August. This is terrible news. Why is this tolerated by the coaches?

How do you teach a defensive back to "look for the ball"? He can't have any idea when the ball is thrown. They have to stick with their man first and foremost. A good, well-coached receiver will wait until the last second to put his hands up so as not to clue the DB in that the ball is about to come.

I'm not a coach, but what do you do?

"ball" "ball" "ball" in sideline SHOUT. At the same time, DB becomes a receiver. DB coaches needs to use an electronic megaphone (legal or not ?)

I seem to remember us having this problem to various degrees since Pelini's been here. For as good as Hagg was in Pelini's defense, he did not turn around during the 8 turnover game leading to ISU's only TD.

I remember people complaining about McBride's coaching and why his DB's didn't do the same in the early 90's...

• Fire 1

I seem to remember us having this problem to various degrees since Pelini's been here. For as good as Hagg was in Pelini's defense, he did not turn around during the 8 turnover game leading to ISU's only TD.

I remember people complaining about McBride's coaching and why his DB's didn't do the same in the early 90's...

This.

A common complaint was "we'll never win a national championship until we get rid of McBride."

• Fire 1

Learning to read the receiver and turning to look for the ball is one of the most difficult skills to learn. Every Sunday you'll see countless CBs in the NFL not do this. It would be nice to have guys able to do this, but as long as they're in position they have a chance to knock the ball away.

The worst thing about not turning their heads though is if there is any contact it is going to draw an almost automatic PI call.

• Fire 1