Offensive play by play

JTrain

So through three possessions, we've done most of what people seem to claim we should do. We keep trying the running game (although TA probably should have kept a couple times to loosen up the focus on AA). We usually use at least one TE if not two (counting HB and FB). We run play action with good success. We've run a couple screens.

But we missed an open receiver and haven't handled their blitz well, though not always the OLine's fault. Thus, three punts.

Fourth possession, 1Q 4:31

1&10 -38, pistol with trips left - zone read and the unblocked Calhoun makes the play again

2&8 -40, pistol with trips left - mixup in blocking as AA resets left just before the snap but the line blocks left leaving the DE unblocked. He pressures TA who just throws it up and it gets picked off. Since the entire line blocked left, it appears that AA should have blocked right to pick up the end.

That basically ends the first quarter. One play was the difference - they went after Rose at CB the play after Davie got hurt and it worked for a 55 yard touchdown.

Other than that play, first downs were even, total yards were basically even (we would have been slightly ahead), time of possession was basically even (we were slightly ahead) and neither team had converted on three third down attempts.

The play that set the tone for the second quarter was their last play of the first quarter. Their punt pinned us on our one yard line. We were losing the field position battle the rest of the half.

Fifth possession - 1Q 0:30

1&10 -1, TA under center, Ace set (two TE) - inside zone left. Cotton trips again trying to double the tackle. No one picks up the LB

2&9 -2, TA under center, Ace set - Looks to me like Bell checked up at the first down marker because the corner was well off but TA still threw the fade.

3&9 -2, TA under center, TE and HB left - This is pic 4 from the OP. If you took a screenshot of our opponents doing the same a couple seconds after a handoff, you'd see the same thing from our defense. We already took our shot and missed so they were expecting run and they got it. AA makes a nice spin on the inside zone to pick up some yards.. Not sure why Foster (HB) blocked away. If he would have led straight up on that safety, AA could have run for a long time.

In the first half, we ran:

Zero HB screen plays

Zero draw plays

One play action pass that targeted the middle of the field

Zero run plays that attempted some novel form of misdirecting their front six

One play from the diamond formation

So unless I missed the thread where everyone was calling for lots of zone read and quick sideline passes, I'd say we didn't really do what people wanted.

That's not to say "people" are always or even usually right. But I think in this case the general concepts requested are solid and pretty fundamental (ex. Their ends are blowing by the outside of our tackles-- how 'bout a draw play? Or, they are swarming to the point of attack-- how 'bout a counter or reverse?).

Sixth Possession, 2Q 13:42

1&10 -30 - shotgun, doubles both sides - quarterback counter but they get penetration bumping Sterup off his pull so he's late getting to the hold and there is nowhere for TA to go but bounce outside. Had Sterup gotten there a count earlier, it would have been TA against the safety

2&13 -27, pistol, TE left with trips right, Bell motion across formation - play action with Bell going back the other way but their DE gets into Bell and doesn't let him into the route. By the time Bell gets free and catches the pass, the timing is disrupted and he only gets a yard. Bell is injured on the play.

3&12 -28, pistol, HB right - TA gets pressure but if he would have just stepped up in the pocket and reset he would had time. Instead, he takes off right away and gets sacked. The protection was actually not that bad.

Yes, If you want to look back and find exact plays we didn't run, you are mostly correct. If you're looking for types of plays, not so much.

Zero HB screen plays - no HB screens but three WR screens
Zero draw plays - agreed
One play action pass that targeted the middle of the field - because that's where most of their defense is. Like us, they match up their corners one-on-one leaving safeties and LBs in the middle of the field. Especially off play action where you're expecting them to suck in to tackle AA.
Zero run plays that attempted some novel form of misdirecting their front six - Incorrect. We ran a quarterback counter which is misdirection. We also ran a misdirection pass play to Bell where he got hurt. Also, the zone read is a similar concept in that we have the option to run two directions on the same play.
One play from the diamond formation -agreed

Seventh Possession - 2Q 11:24

1&10 +41, pistol, TE left with trips right - TA hits Allen on a quick out from the slot

2&1 +32, pistol, TE and HB right - zone read look but it's a called handoff. Penetration kills the play

3&1 +32, pistol, TE left - zone read, they again run a double LB A gap blitz but AA picks up the first down. Late hit on Moudy

1&10 +45, pistol, TE right, Allen motions to the left - WR screen to Allen who hesitates and gets nothing

2&10 +45, pistol, TE trips right - play action wheel route to AA incomplete

3&10 +45, pistol, TE left with trips right - rollout right, TA almost throws a pick but it's incomplete.

Good stuff Mav. Overall the Line played acceptable the first quarter, the two mistakes (the sack, and false start) were bad but they weren't game changers.

Here's a couple other things I noticed.

Third possession - 1st Q, 8:22

1&10 -25, pistol TE left - zone read that Calhoun again plays well and makes the tackle. Might have been able to keep.

2&5 -30, pistol with split backs, trips right - WR screen to Bell. Good pursuit but Bell gets some yac for a first down

1&10 -36, pistol TE right, Bell motion to trips left - WR screen to Bell, good yac for Bell

1&10 +40, pistol HB right - sprint option right but we don't leave anyone unblocked. B. Cotton tries to block Calhoun but he strings the play out and gets the tackle on AA. I would guess Cotton should have left him alone so TA could pitch of Calhoun and AA would have room to run

Tommy needed to realize that the pitch wasn't there, just cut it up and take what you can get. It likely would have been 4 or 5 yards. He has trouble recognizing this.

2&9 +39, pistol TE right, motion out of trips left - outside zone right but the pursuit is good and there isn't a hole

Michigan State played it well, but Ameer missed the cut back. It was a small crease that may have only netted an extra yard, but with AA it easily could have been a 4 yard gain falling forward. Mostly just good defense on that play.

Fourth possession, 1Q 4:31

1&10 -38, pistol with trips left - zone read and the unblocked Calhoun makes the play again

Calhoun basically baited Tommy the whole first quarter. His shoulders are square to the line, but if you look at his feet he would typically plant the outside foot just before the exchange showing he's committed to Ameer. It's probably splitting hairs, since it's hard to judge that on the fly, but I think Tommy has struggled with it all year. He wants to feed Ameer more than he wants to be his compliment.

2&8 -40, pistol with trips left - mixup in blocking as AA resets left just before the snap but the line blocks left leaving the DE unblocked. He pressures TA who just throws it up and it gets picked off. Since the entire line blocked left, it appears that AA should have blocked right to pick up the end.

• Fire 2

Zero HB screen plays

Zero draw plays

So unless I missed the thread where everyone was calling for lots of zone read and quick sideline passes, I'd say we didn't really do what people wanted.

That's not to say "people" are always or even usually right. But I think in this case the general concepts requested are solid and pretty fundamental (ex. Their ends are blowing by the outside of our tackles-- how 'bout a draw play? Or, they are swarming to the point of attack-- how 'bout a counter or reverse?).

An HB screen won't work against their "quarters" coverage. Because they don't play man to man ever, their LB's are zoned in on what's in front of our around them. In other words, their LB's would recognize and sniff our an HB screen in a heartbeat.

OK, so we didn't run the draw play. What makes you think that would have worked?

Once again, their "quarters" scheme works perfectly to counter this. Their LB's are in zone coverage, constantly. It's only when they read that it's a running play that they go after the runner. Even if they bite, they all have to bite. Also, the only time their LB's aren't in zone coverage is when they blitz. A play action ain't helping you then because the load the center in their favorite blitz.

Someone already stated the inside and outside zone plays have misdirection built into them. A reverse maybe? Could work, but the LB would be in position because he doesn't leave his "zone". So sure it might have gained 5 yards, but it would have been dependent on him, and the safety to both make terrible reads. Possible, but asking a lot for two guys to make a mistake.

Diamond formation. Honestly, I'd love to see more diamond formation. There's a ton of potential in it, Beck has shown a lot of innovation with it, but he hasn't shown it in a while.

I find it incredibly unusual for someone to be references the suggestions of fan board regarding how a football team should game plan and adjust. I mean, it would be one thing if we had a strong understanding of the intricacies of a defense and certain ways to attack it. But we, on here, are merely just saying things like "we need more diamond formation", "why not run a RB screen?", "We need to run a quick slant on third down", etc. But what we seem to be forgetting, or just simply don't understand, is that we don't know how a specific defensive scheme does to counter those types of plays/formations and why/how those plays will fail.

• Fire 1

Zero HB screen plays

Zero draw plays

With the way Abdullah cuts, I have to imagine a counter play could be lethal.

Zero HB screen plays

Zero draw plays

An HB screen won't work against their "quarters" coverage. Because they don't play man to man ever, their LB's are zoned in on what's in front of our around them. In other words, their LB's would recognize and sniff our an HB screen in a heartbeat.

OK, so we didn't run the draw play. What makes you think that would have worked?

Once again, their "quarters" scheme works perfectly to counter this. Their LB's are in zone coverage, constantly. It's only when they read that it's a running play that they go after the runner. Even if they bite, they all have to bite. Also, the only time their LB's aren't in zone coverage is when they blitz. A play action ain't helping you then because the load the center in their favorite blitz.

Someone already stated the inside and outside zone plays have misdirection built into them. A reverse maybe? Could work, but the LB would be in position because he doesn't leave his "zone". So sure it might have gained 5 yards, but it would have been dependent on him, and the safety to both make terrible reads. Possible, but asking a lot for two guys to make a mistake.

Diamond formation. Honestly, I'd love to see more diamond formation. There's a ton of potential in it, Beck has shown a lot of innovation with it, but he hasn't shown it in a while.

I find it incredibly unusual for someone to be references the suggestions of fan board regarding how a football team should game plan and adjust. I mean, it would be one thing if we had a strong understanding of the intricacies of a defense and certain ways to attack it. But we, on here, are merely just saying things like "we need more diamond formation", "why not run a RB screen?", "We need to run a quick slant on third down", etc. But what we seem to be forgetting, or just simply don't understand, is that we don't know how a specific defensive scheme does to counter those types of plays/formations and why/how those plays will fail.

I like that you first imply that the fans don't understand the "intricacies of a defense" yet you throw out general statements like "an HB screen won't work against their "quarters" coverage" and "the quarters scheme works perfectly to counter [the draw]". So apparently you view yourself as the exception. I already addressed the point about the fans usually being wrong about specifics, but said that some of the basic stuff can be quite simple and correct.

There are countless varieties of halfback screens, and screens absolutely can work against a zone, especially when linebackers are blitzing.

The draw play can work because you give the defensive line time to spread out (especially the way their DEs were rushing) and give Ameer the chance to make a LB miss, which he's pretty decent at.

They were obviously incredibly well-practiced for our zone read, which is specifically why I threw in the word "novel".

You make it seem like their scheme is impenetrable. It isn't. There are plenty of ways to attack any defense and Oregon managed nearly 500 yards against them (including two long TD passes to the slot receiver down the seam).

Of course none of us know for sure how any particular play or concept would have worked. And in a way that's the most frustrating part. We had zero points and 80 yards at half time despite having incredible opportunities. Whatever adjustments we made were too little too late. Ultimately Beck is responsible for the production of the offense. You can blame the players if you like (no doubt some of them played poorly), but Beck is responsible for knowing the strengths and weaknesses of his players, teaching them how to execute his scheme, and adjusting in-game.

Listening to Damon Benning from today. Quotes:

"You have to either find a way to control the intermediate area with passing game a la tight ends or slot receivers or let your quarterback get busy in the run game."

"When you allow a team to dictate how fast they want to play (which Michigan State's defense was) with really no misdirection or a threat of draw to keep pass rushers honest, and no QB run game to keep safeties honest, you're putting an awful lot of pressure on your bigs up front..."

On Beck: "You don't wanna say it out loud because, we think because guys get paid a lot of money and they're paid to do a job that they don't freeze a little bit..."

On Beck's simple gameplan: "I just don't think that's the way you can play that game on the road."

"When you wanna slow down pass rush, there's always a couple of different things you can do: You can always runs screens, and you can always run draws-- two plays that I'm not sure if Nebraska has in their offensive repertoire that they feel confident, from a timing standpoint, running. It's a little bit of a head-scratcher."

Eighth Possession - 2Q 9:05

1&10 +24, pistol, TE & HB right - inside zone, looked like AA had a seam left of the center but went right

2&8 +22, diamond formation - play action, pass to AA in the flat on misdirection

1&10 +12, pistol, TE right - zone read, TA keeps and makes Calhoun miss but Sterup can't hold a block

2&6 +6, wildcat, jet motion - AA keeps and fumbles