Nebraska mindset needs refinement

There is a lot to say for longevity at the coaching positions. Anybody who can't see an improvement in this program this season is lost in the world of poor losers. You can say MSU quit but I say not so fast, and the fact is our boys didn't quit. I was very unhappy about the way this game turned out but it is another learning experience, another page to add to the book of knowledge for these coaches and players. Will they get, we shall see.

The mindset needs refinement, but it's much better and getting better. This game would have ended up 27 to 3 or worse in the past several years even if MSU did quit.

The recruiting is better and gaining momentum year after year now. You get rid of this coach now and you'll have a dumpster fire on your hands mark it down. Those folks who are quick to jump to that side of the isle deserve a Bill Callahan program. up/down, up/down, up/down. A guy that is tied with the #9 team in the country in the Cotton Bowl after having gifted them a touchdown and goes for a fake punt, in I believe the 2nd qtr, on his own 25 or something like that, gifting them another touchdown only to lose by 3. It would be one thing if that was it, every coach makes dumb decisions in their career but his just kept on coming. He tore this program down to where what was didn't even exist anymore. Where I grew up, we knew this when he was hired and all we could do was shake our head in dismay because we knew what was coming.

I say that to say this, get rid of this coach and we'll lose all the momentum in recruiting, I don't care, outside of a few who aren't available, who the coach is that we replace him with and that is no small thing. Will there be a time to move on from Pelini, maybe, but it isn't now or this year or the next. Been waiting a long time to get over the hump as many, but don't believe it isn't changing for the better until it isn't. In fact this last game should tell you that more than telling you we're stuck in the same old rut.

Callahan didn't destroy our program. Frank Solich did. Bill had an empty roster when he arrived and Bo was gifted the best defensive roster we have seen in decades. Please give me a break on how terrible we were. Callahan couldn't coach but he was able to identify talent

This is such bullsh#t. And 3 people plus'd it so far. Wow.

Callahan could identify talent, couldn't at QB though, that kind of matters in this game.

Neither destroyed this program. This program isn't destroyed. So there goes that argument.

Solich sure as hell isn't to blame. He changed his whole staff and had a solid season but was fired anyway. Aside from a 7-7 season his record here was pretty damn good.

Best defensive roster in decades? You better go back and look at some of those rosters from the previous decades then. Yes it was a solid roster, but decades? No.

Aside from Callahn recognizing talent, the rest of your entire post is trash.

IMO, I wish we had kept Frank in 2003. Like you said, he made staff changes and went 10-3. Frank's problem was one he couldn't control. Carl Crawford chose baseball. He could have been the Cam, Vince or Tommie that would have changed the program for the better IMO.

There is a lot to say for longevity at the coaching positions. Anybody who can't see an improvement in this program this season is lost in the world of poor losers. You can say MSU quit but I say not so fast, and the fact is our boys didn't quit. I was very unhappy about the way this game turned out but it is another learning experience, another page to add to the book of knowledge for these coaches and players. Will they get, we shall see.

The mindset needs refinement, but it's much better and getting better. This game would have ended up 27 to 3 or worse in the past several years even if MSU did quit.

The recruiting is better and gaining momentum year after year now. You get rid of this coach now and you'll have a dumpster fire on your hands mark it down. Those folks who are quick to jump to that side of the isle deserve a Bill Callahan program. up/down, up/down, up/down. A guy that is tied with the #9 team in the country in the Cotton Bowl after having gifted them a touchdown and goes for a fake punt, in I believe the 2nd qtr, on his own 25 or something like that, gifting them another touchdown only to lose by 3. It would be one thing if that was it, every coach makes dumb decisions in their career but his just kept on coming. He tore this program down to where what was didn't even exist anymore. Where I grew up, we knew this when he was hired and all we could do was shake our head in dismay because we knew what was coming.

I say that to say this, get rid of this coach and we'll lose all the momentum in recruiting, I don't care, outside of a few who aren't available, who the coach is that we replace him with and that is no small thing. Will there be a time to move on from Pelini, maybe, but it isn't now or this year or the next. Been waiting a long time to get over the hump as many, but don't believe it isn't changing for the better until it isn't. In fact this last game should tell you that more than telling you we're stuck in the same old rut.

hbkoolaid.jpg

Callahan didn't destroy our program. Frank Solich did. Bill had an empty roster when he arrived and Bo was gifted the best defensive roster we have seen in decades. Please give me a break on how terrible we were. Callahan couldn't coach but he was able to identify talent

If you don't think Callahan set this program back in a myriad of ways, doing it with no respect for the history of this program (I go back a few years, late 60's) then just keep believing that, it's the kind of thinking that put us in the hole we've been digging out of. It's more than just having talent, it's a "mindset" and I believe the "mindset" of this team and coaching staff is getting better. The MSU game is an example that it's not where we want it but it's getting better. We had a chance to win ,"WIN", that game in the end not make the score more respectable, that's a huge improvement. The fact we were even there at the end of the game with a chance to "win" after not even showing up on offense for 3 qtrs is kind of amazing.

I agree True (or whoever it was) this program wasn't destroyed, don't believe that it can be, too great of a history for that, we just lost our way for awhile and that'll cost you. Until proven otherwise this season has a good chance to be one to change the course of this program to go back up top. Those who think otherwise MAY be right, don't think they are. Time will tell all things.

Our program had fallen incredibly far in recruiting under Frank. Callahan had his work cut out for him and did a hell of a job putting Nebraska back on the map, laying groundwork and restocking the cupboards to the extent he could in 4 years. We try to downplay this mostly because we don't like Callahan, but he demonstrated the kind of effort possible with Nebraska recruiting, middle of nowhere and all other disadvantages be damned (something Tim Miles is showing us again).

Kind of a disaster as a head coach, though. There's no way he can be forgiven for the collapse of 2007.

• Fire 2

Speaking of mindsets...I paid a visit to Shaggybevo this afternoon. Goodness those folks are psychotic. Down right frightening bunch they are.

I lasted four days over there before they banned me for life...they really have fragile egos and low self esteem when it comes down to it...and they don't like to be called "Short Horns" either.

Shaggybevo is really are more of an Aggie forum than a Longhorn forum, since they are obsessed with the fact that their one true love has forsaken them and talk more about Aggies than Longhorns. To hear them tell it, he refs always cheat them, their coaches always betray them, their players are all entitled, brain dead, underachievers, and their fans are disloyal. They also maintain that Arkansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas A&M will all suffer in the long run from dumping them and their past or present conference and be forever shut off from the mythical "Texas Pipeline" of five star players.

They do dabble successfully in both high brow and low brow humor, and they really don't take themselves THAT seriously...so I don't either.

This is beating a dead horse, so I'm not going to put much time into it. If you look back from this board several years ago, you

will find posts that will make your post go up in flames. Solich inherited less talent from TO than Clownahan inherited from

Solich after gazing at the top three round draft picks into the NFL each inherited.

Solich didn't destroy the program. Clownahan didn't destroy the program. The person who holds the most responsibility for setting

this program back is none other than Steve "used car salesman" Peterson. His decisions and actions are what set us back.

Clownahan wasn't a good fit, but you can't place the blame on him for simply taking the job.

There is a lot to say for longevity at the coaching positions. Anybody who can't see an improvement in this program this season is lost in the world of poor losers. You can say MSU quit but I say not so fast, and the fact is our boys didn't quit. I was very unhappy about the way this game turned out but it is another learning experience, another page to add to the book of knowledge for these coaches and players. Will they get, we shall see. The mindset needs refinement, but it's much better and getting better. This game would have ended up 27 to 3 or worse in the past several years even if MSU did quit. The recruiting is better and gaining momentum year after year now. You get rid of this coach now and you'll have a dumpster fire on your hands mark it down. Those folks who are quick to jump to that side of the isle deserve a Bill Callahan program. up/down, up/down, up/down. A guy that is tied with the #9 team in the country in the Cotton Bowl after having gifted them a touchdown and goes for a fake punt, in I believe the 2nd qtr, on his own 25 or something like that, gifting them another touchdown only to lose by 3. It would be one thing if that was it, every coach makes dumb decisions in their career but his just kept on coming. He tore this program down to where what was didn't even exist anymore. Where I grew up, we knew this when he was hired and all we could do was shake our head in dismay because we knew what was coming. I say that to say this, get rid of this coach and we'll lose all the momentum in recruiting, I don't care, outside of a few who aren't available, who the coach is that we replace him with and that is no small thing. Will there be a time to move on from Pelini, maybe, but it isn't now or this year or the next. Been waiting a long time to get over the hump as many, but don't believe it isn't changing for the better until it isn't. In fact this last game should tell you that more than telling you we're stuck in the same old rut.

This is beating a dead horse, so I'm not going to put much time into it. If you look back from this board several years ago, youwill find posts that will make your post go up in flames. Solich inherited less talent from TO than Clownahan inherited fromSolich after gazing at the top three round draft picks into the NFL each inherited.Solich didn't destroy the program. Clownahan didn't destroy the program. The person who holds the most responsibility for settingthis program back is none other than Steve "used car salesman" Peterson. His decisions and actions are what set us back.Clownahan wasn't a good fit, but you can't place the blame on him for simply taking the job.

Solich inherited less talent from Osborne than Callahan did from him.

I mean, holy crap.

There is a lot to say for longevity at the coaching positions. Anybody who can't see an improvement in this program this season is lost in the world of poor losers. You can say MSU quit but I say not so fast, and the fact is our boys didn't quit. I was very unhappy about the way this game turned out but it is another learning experience, another page to add to the book of knowledge for these coaches and players. Will they get, we shall see. The mindset needs refinement, but it's much better and getting better. This game would have ended up 27 to 3 or worse in the past several years even if MSU did quit. The recruiting is better and gaining momentum year after year now. You get rid of this coach now and you'll have a dumpster fire on your hands mark it down. Those folks who are quick to jump to that side of the isle deserve a Bill Callahan program. up/down, up/down, up/down. A guy that is tied with the #9 team in the country in the Cotton Bowl after having gifted them a touchdown and goes for a fake punt, in I believe the 2nd qtr, on his own 25 or something like that, gifting them another touchdown only to lose by 3. It would be one thing if that was it, every coach makes dumb decisions in their career but his just kept on coming. He tore this program down to where what was didn't even exist anymore. Where I grew up, we knew this when he was hired and all we could do was shake our head in dismay because we knew what was coming. I say that to say this, get rid of this coach and we'll lose all the momentum in recruiting, I don't care, outside of a few who aren't available, who the coach is that we replace him with and that is no small thing. Will there be a time to move on from Pelini, maybe, but it isn't now or this year or the next. Been waiting a long time to get over the hump as many, but don't believe it isn't changing for the better until it isn't. In fact this last game should tell you that more than telling you we're stuck in the same old rut.

This is beating a dead horse, so I'm not going to put much time into it. If you look back from this board several years ago, youwill find posts that will make your post go up in flames. Solich inherited less talent from TO than Clownahan inherited fromSolich after gazing at the top three round draft picks into the NFL each inherited.Solich didn't destroy the program. Clownahan didn't destroy the program. The person who holds the most responsibility for settingthis program back is none other than Steve "used car salesman" Peterson. His decisions and actions are what set us back.Clownahan wasn't a good fit, but you can't place the blame on him for simply taking the job.

Solich inherited less talent from Osborne than Callahan did from him.

I mean, holy crap.

Based upon those drafted into the next level, he did. In Solich's first three years, a total of five players were drafted in the

first three rounds. In Callahan's first three years, a total of eight players were drafted in the first three rounds. For all

this so called talent Bo inherited, it wasn't until the 2010 draft we even had a top three round player recruited which happened to

be Suh. In Bo's first three years, he only inherited two top three draft picks.