Steak Cooking Advice Sought - minimal equipment available

knapplc

I'm going to a friend's house and making steaks while I'm there. They have no grill, no cast iron of any kind, only a basic set of saucepans. I've never produced steak in these circumstances and I'm looking for tips & tricks.

A chef just told me about his kitchen trick, which is to use a thin-bottomed pan, high heat, clarified butter, searing each side for no more than 20 seconds each. Wrap the steak in tinfoil with minced garlic, thyme and rosemary, then into the oven at 175 for 40 minutes. Says they come out medium rare, soft, wonderful.

Anyone ever tried something like this? Any other suggestions?

• Fire 1

I'm going to a friend's house and making steaks while I'm there. They have no grill, no cast iron of any kind, only a basic set of saucepans. I've never produced steak in these circumstances and I'm looking for tips & tricks.

A chef just told me about his kitchen trick, which is to use a thin-bottomed pan, high heat, clarified butter, searing each side for no more than 20 seconds each. Wrap the steak in tinfoil with minced garlic, thyme and rosemary, then into the oven at 175 for 40 minutes. Says they come out medium rare, soft, wonderful.

Anyone ever tried something like this? Any other suggestions?

Nope...but it sounds really good!

Ahhh...as a foodie/cook. I find challenges like this fun.

This method sounds like it might taste good. The trick is going to be making sure it's to the correct doneness.

Can you take a pan or anything from your house?

What about broiling them? Many times in the winter if I'm wanting something grilled, instead of standing in a snow bank, I will broil it.

I don't think I can get my cast iron past TSA, especially after Tangled showed just how effective a weapon they can be in the wrong hands.

I like the instructables link, Tood. I'll have to read that more thoroughly.

And carlfense, I don't know Alton Brown's charcoal chimney thing. I'll be googling that tonight.

I'm going to a friend's house and making steaks while I'm there. They have no grill, no cast iron of any kind, only a basic set of saucepans. I've never produced steak in these circumstances and I'm looking for tips & tricks.A chef just told me about his kitchen trick, which is to use a thin-bottomed pan, high heat, clarified butter, searing each side for no more than 20 seconds each. Wrap the steak in tinfoil with minced garlic, thyme and rosemary, then into the oven at 175 for 40 minutes. Says they come out medium rare, soft, wonderful.Anyone ever tried something like this? Any other suggestions?

The best way is to sear/roast.

Season the steaks, get a thin layer of oil blazing hot in the pan, sear the steaks four minutes a side, then sock the works into a oven of 450 degrees for four minutes.

Remove, foil tent, rest, serve.

Notes:

This will be a smoky bitch. Mind the smoke alarms.

I don't think non stick pans can go in the oven, lest you want a tire fire. So maybe dump the works into a Pyrex dish after searing, and put the dish in the oven as it's preheating whilst you sear.

I've done it a few times. No big tricks for me. I'm no chef and from what I've seen and heard knapp, you're pretty talented in the kitchen. The most important part I would say is that sear with really high heat. Keeps that seasoning on there nice and crisp and locks in the juices. I just saw a steak thread so I felt I had to comment, I am a self proclaimed grillmaster, especially with steaks. As most grillmasters will tell you, it's hard to screw up a good steak so I'm sure you'll be fine. But that's the other key. A quality steak.