National Offense/Defense Stats

Mavric

This shows the Huskers would be a top 10 team if the turnover performance was better. We would be undefeated too.

Lol, funny you say that. In the 1 game we lost, we won the turnover battle until a interception with 20~ seconds left. We had the ball TWICE in their territory after we forced turnovers and didn't score any points off them. So, yeah that pretty much throws that notion out the window. Turnovers are more or less an opportunity stat, sure you can force some if you are really good defensively, but it also requires some luck and being in the right spot at the right time (Gregory interception against MSU)

This shows the Huskers would be a top 10 team if the turnover performance was better. We would be undefeated too.

Lol, funny you say that. In the 1 game we lost, we won the turnover battle until a interception with 20~ seconds left. We had the ball TWICE in their territory after we forced turnovers and didn't score any points off them. So, yeah that pretty much throws that notion out the window. Turnovers are more or less an opportunity stat, sure you can force some if you are really good defensively, but it also requires some luck and being in the right spot at the right time (Gregory interception against MSU)

Not to nit-pick but both teams had three TOs before the last pick. We ended up -1 for that game.

But we did have chances that we wasted.

So, if Tommy hadn't thrown a pick (making us -1 in TO's that game) we probably would have won? That lines up with what he said.

Turnovers are much more than an opportunity stat....

They determine field position which can be crucial. Having a direct affect on field position alone warrants it to be a highly important stat...

Penalties as a stat have almost zero bearing on good/bad teams.

Disagree. Mainly because it is the difference between a disciplined team and an undisciplined team.

You could be last in penalties and still win a national championship, but I bet if you were to look at the stats from the last 10 years, teams near the top for penalties/penalty yards are going to probably be near the top of the standings.

Not because of the penalties being the reason but teams with more penalties are probably making bigger mistakes elsewhere--not executing.

• Fire 1

Disagree. Mainly because it is the difference between a disciplined team and an undisciplined team.

You could be last in penalties and still win a national championship, but I bet if you were to look at the stats from the last 10 years, teams near the top for penalties/penalty yards are going to probably be near the top of the standings.

Not because of the penalties being the reason but teams with more penalties are probably making bigger mistakes elsewhere--not executing.

As far as penalties being an indicator of how disciplined a team is, Im gonna have to slightly disagree. I understand what youre saying, but I guess I would look a little deeper. For instance what kind of penalties are they. False starts, procedures, personal fouls, and stuff of that nature would indicate a lacking of discipline. Fouls such as holding, pass interference, illegal contact. Penalties that are up for interpretation are ones I believe have less to do with discipline and a little more to do with how refs see the play. Sometimes linemen hold when beat to keep from having their qb hit and possibly fumbling. The lesser of two evils in that scenario.

No special teams stats?

I did include punts by and punts against but I didn't find numbers on return yards.

DPE is #9 in average punt return yards at 16.4 yards per attempt (22), and #1 in total punt return yardage at 360 yards. Interestingly, he has 10 more attempts than anyone ranked higher in avg return yards, so as the season moves along he'll probably rise as those players will most likely have fewer outstanding returns.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/15

Nebraska is #17 in average punt return at 14.20 yard per return on 25 returns. NU is #1 in total punt return yardage at 355 return yards.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/97

Nebraska is #44 in punt return defense, with opponents averaging 5.89 yards on 9 attempts for 53 total return yards.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/462

• Fire 1

That is exactly what I thought when I saw those stats. Not sure about the undefeated, but the MSU game would have been a different game if we didnt turn it over for sure.

How many fbs teams are there? Does it include all independents or just notre dame?

There are 128 on the list, all FBS teams including the independents (ND, BYU, Army, Navy)

Oops I meant to ask how many power 5

64 Power 5 teams plus I was counting Notre Dame and I would have counted BYU but I'm not sure if they were that high in anything.

As far as penalties being an indicator of how disciplined a team is, Im gonna have to slightly disagree. I understand what youre saying, but I guess I would look a little deeper. For instance what kind of penalties are they. False starts, procedures, personal fouls, and stuff of that nature would indicate a lacking of discipline. Fouls such as holding, pass interference, illegal contact. Penalties that are up for interpretation are ones I believe have less to do with discipline and a little more to do with how refs see the play. Sometimes linemen hold when beat to keep from having their qb hit and possibly fumbling. The lesser of two evils in that scenario.

Understood. But if you are comparing two teams.. One team averages 7 penalties a game for 55 yards compared to a team that averages 3 penalties for 20 yards a game.. which one would you say is more disciplined, most likely?

Of course it can be a subjective stat because of BS holding/pass interference calls and what not, but for the most part I would assume a team near the top in penalties has discipline problems....

Again that is an assumption, but assuming that not all their penalties come from subjective situations doesnt seem too risky.