Bo and SECPN

But again, I would point out that this was only year 2 in the run of championships so I don't know if the bias was really in favor of the SEC or not in favor of a repeat game between Ohio State and Michigan

this is what i do not understand. so there is always bias, it is either in favor of your position or it is not. but, if you string together a run of championships, how can you expect people not to give you the benefit of the doubt? then if you do leave an sec team out, is that not just bias against them because they won too much?

this just seems like such a silly argument and focus when there was always going to be a problem with such a flawed system. i mean, we directly benefited from a similar bias. i imagine there is a thread on a buffs board (again, i imagine because i doubt there is such a thing) complaining about bias for nebraska after our successes in the 90's.

the system was a mess and bias was usually the determining factor. and after so much talk about bias, i hardly know what that word even means anymore.

but i think the best team is just to have the top 8 teams play. the 5 conference champs and 3 at large bids. or, probably just the top 8 teams, because if you are team #9, that is your fault and you had your chance to get in. not to mention, the difference between 8-9 is a lot bigger than 4-5 and realistically the 8 or 9 team is not going to win it all. but at least then the controversy would just be feigned.

Wait......what?

Nobody is saying to leave the SEC out of the playoffs.

i was referring to the bcs era. when people were complaining about the sec getting the benefit of the doubt and other teams did not get a chance to play in the championship.

If everyone's a one loss team, they all have won the same amount. That is, other than if one team also made it to their conference championship game and won that and the other one didn't even win their division.

who has ever thought espn was or should be neutral? they have always been biased towards ratings. they cater to the teams/stories that provide the most.

Thanks for explaining why Bo's comments make sense.

i was never arguing about bo's statements. just this boogeyman that can easily be defeated by fielding teams that can beat the sec.

texas has the same arrangement with espn. and they are not very good. do we see much of an effect of that bias?

that article is pretty biased.

Pray, tell.

written by someone competing with espn for readership. pretty obvious.

So, that precludes anyone but ESPN from writing about it? That's kind of dumb. His analogy is spot on though.

no, but he obviously has motive to find fault with espn. sports is business and everyone has a vested interest.

and his point is rather speculative. we should revisit it after the final four are chosen.

and what is his solution? a law that espn has to cover every team equally? espn has been in bed with the sec for awhile now and it will continue until they start losing. they only have a finite amount of resources to dedicate to teams.

if you want me to agree that the relationship between espn and the sec is corrupt, i have done that.

if you want me to care, i do not. bias generally favors the most popular. and the most popular is usually the best. you think we are talking about bias is the sec is losing out of conference? no. so, be better. beat the sec on the field. watch the bias go away. ksu and wiscy had great chances and failed. the tides turn fast.

i feel so dirty defending espn and the sec. but the fact is that no network or conference has been able to compete with either, respectively. we all watch espn and go to their website. the sec obviously draws the most viewers and have the best matchups. so it is what it is.

who has ever thought espn was or should be neutral? they have always been biased towards ratings. they cater to the teams/stories that provide the most.

i was never arguing about bo's statements. just this boogeyman that can easily be defeated by fielding teams that can beat the sec.

texas has the same arrangement with espn. and they are not very good. do we see much of an effect of that bias?

LOL...because they are getting beat out for recruits and media by a local SEC team. (at least partly)

also, the analogy does not hold up because espn does advertise other conference games and airs them in primetime. even games as boring as osu and psu. so the extent of this bias is largely exaggerated.

their only bias is to make money. be the team or conference that makes them the most money.

LOL...because they are getting beat out for recruits and media by a local SEC team. (at least partly)

there espn goes again, letting its bias get in the way of its bias.

I mean we agree that the Espn relationship isn't great. But Bo knew about the bias, was ok with the bias when he was at LSU and walked into this job with hie eyes wide open, at least I hope he did. It's important that we all admit that.

He was OK with the bias while he was at LSU?

Yeah, I remember him saying that. He was like, "I'm ok with the bias."

I remember him saying after they won the title, "you know let's give this to USC, we don't deserve to be here". Oh right.

Soooo....when he was at LSU in 2007, he was supposed to comment on a bias that really came in full force in some time a year or two before 2013 when ESPN and SEC inked their deal linking themselves together financially?

The financial like ESPN has with the SEC is the main part of what Bo is talking about and how that creates a bias in their reporting. That didn't get announced till 2013. But.....now, you are saying he should have known about that in 2007 and told the world he didn't think it was a good idea?

there espn goes again, letting its bias get in the way of its bias.

I was hoping this day would come.