Bo and SECPN

Yes, the bolded part. It wasn't until very recently that ESPN had a much lesser relationship with the SEC. CBS always got the big games. Yet apparently this SEC bias has been going on through all of the SEC championships? Why is that? Doesn't ESPN have contracts with all of the big conferences? Before the SEC deal, I'm pretty sure the biggest contracts they had were with the Big12 and ACC. Why didn't ESPN use their might and influence to push recruits to those schools?

I can also promise you that ESPN does not want college football to be primarily a southeastern US interest. There are way too many TVs elsewhere in the country. They want good teams throughout the country. Seriously, why wouldn't they? The SEC network is never going to be huge like ESPN and ESPN2. Why on earth did they have game day twice in North Dakota if they don't want to promote college football everywhere?

Some of you need to get over your butthurt and think about things more logically.

The fact that it's a recent phenomenon is part of it. But dismissing a logical position as "butthurt" doesn't do much for the conversation. There are those who are irrationally anti-SEC. Those aren't the people in this conversation. What I'm hearing is, there is a problem, ESPN is part of it, and things could be/should be better.

I was hoping this day would come.

it could. just imagine how different this season looks if neb., osu, msu, and wiscy all were undefeated at the end of the non conference (and god bless indiana for doing what they did to mizzou). and if ksu beat auburn. a much broader narrative. but now, few unbeatens remain and two reside in the sec west.

it could. just imagine how different this season looks if neb., osu, msu, and wiscy all were undefeated at the end of the non conference (and god bless indiana for doing what they did to mizzou). and if ksu beat auburn. a much broader narrative. but now, few unbeatens remain and two reside in the sec west.

If they would play:

OSU = BSU, Presbyterian, LA-Lafayette, Memphis

MSU = Southern Miss, UT-Martin, UAB, South Alabama

Wiskey = West Virginia, Southern Miss, Florida Atlantic, West Carolina

They probably would have been.

• Fire 4

If they would play:

that's a point.

but my point was that we need to beat some good teams. and the more sec teams we beat the better.

• Fire 1

What I'm hearing is, there is a problem, ESPN is part of it, and things could be/should be better.

I think Fox is going to help this. I dont agree overall on the size of the issue but I sure would like to see another heavy weight in the game. Fox Sport is the best hope at that, love him or hate him Rupert Murdoch is a media genius, and he is not playing for second place.

• Fire 1

Weather everyone agrees with it or not, I believe ESPN is part of the problem. But, it's not the entire problem. College football has a major problem in that the entire sport is becoming regionalized. Somewhere on this board someone listed the NCs for the last 40-50 years and then highlighted the non-coastal teams who have won it.

College football has a major problem in that something is wrong to where traditionally powerful teams in the midwest and north aren't able to compete.

This isn't just a Nebraska thing. Heck, it's not even just a Big Ten thing. It is a regional thing. Right now, ND, Mich, MSU, PSU, OSU, Neb, CU all have won NCs before but now are not able to compete. If this was just about Neb, I would say then, "We just need to improve what we are doing in recruiting and coaching". But, it's not just us. Multiple coaches have gone through these schools and have not been able to crack into competing for NCs for a long time.

Until that gets figured out by college football in general, we are still going to see the same thing. The power and success is going to be regionalized to the south and west coast. And, that is bad for college football in general.

• Fire 1

If they would play:

that's a point.

but my point was that we need to beat some good teams. and the more sec teams we beat the better.

And, my point is, what "good teams" have the top rated SEC teams beat but yet everyone is crowning them as the greatest in college football right now.

So, let's play the game the way they do. Make schedules like that and let's rock and roll.

And, my point is, what "good teams" have the top rated SEC teams beat but yet everyone is crowning them as the greatest in college football right now.

what good teams have other teams beaten that makes them more deserving? i mean, is there any argument of miss st. and ole miss not being top three? then it is a matter of degrees between the rest of the one loss teams. but auburn did beat ksu and 'bama only has one loss to a top 3 team.

if you want to argue that the top rated sec teams do not belong there, fine. but there will be just as compelling arguments against whoever you get to replace them. that is why it was too bad ksu and wiscy could not have won their games against the sec and took a couple bullets out of their chamber.

• Fire 2

what good teams have other teams beaten that makes them more deserving? i mean, is there any argument of miss st. and ole miss not being top three? then is it a matter of degrees between the rest of the one loss teams. but auburn did beat ksu and 'bama only has one loss to a top 3 team.

if you want to argue that the top rated sec teams do not belong there, fine. but there will be just as compelling arguments against whoever you get to replace them. that is why it was too bad ksu and wiscy could not have won their games against the sec and took a couple bullets out of their chamber.

I agree with you on KSU and Wiskey. But, neither of those are top teams in either conference. So....really....those teams still haven't played any really good teams. And, I might add, neither of those teams were dominated by LSU or Auburn.

The point is, this top SEC teams may be as good as you and others think. They might not be. Nobody knows. So, the best way to find out is to take the best of them and put that against the top programs from other conferences in the play off.

If you take two of those SEC teams, that diminishes them proving they are the best. If you take 3 or 4 from the SEC, it basically eliminates the ability for them to prove they are the best above everyone.

If they would play:

that's a point.

This is true. But the SEC rarely schedules other Power 5 teams and almost refuses to do home-and-home with Power 5 teams (other than a select few traditional rivals).

While I agree that the ESPN and SEC relationship is potenitally dangerous, but are we forgetting that conference won like 7 national titles in a row, and finished 2nd in a classic game last year? And have you been watching the football games this year? I am sorry, but the SEC is by and far the best conference in football. Don't like it? Go beat them. Most teams havent been able to do it.

The problem is that they are not settling it on the field. For example, the year we had the LSU/ Alabama rematch, LSU settled it on the field...They beat Alabama IN Tuscaloosa. Alabama had their shot to take down LSU and had everything going for them. The fact is they didn't get it done. Then we fast forward to the title game. Was there another unbeaten besides LSU, No. But should someone else have gotten a shot to take the crown, you bet. (Oklahoma St./Oregon) Anyone will tell you that it is harder to beat a team the second time. I know you will argue LSU is an SEC team. Correct, but we didn't get a chance to see LSU up against another conference's elite team. That is the point we are trying to make

• Fire 1

I'm looking for investors to go in with me on an all inclusive college football TV channel. We will get contracts with all of the major conferences to show games and make money from them all and therefore the talent and channel can be neutral and actually say what they want instead of having to toe the line. Who's in??