Kenny Wilson

For me, I'll be rooting for the C-Train to run over some more defenders. More hype for KW and Marlon will just motivate the C-Train even more.

NAW! Never would have guessed that by your screen name.

Seriously, I think all 3 have a place in this offense. KW has the most raw athletic talent, Lucky may be the most versatile, but like you said, it's about putting it all together and knowing the offense, and that is who will get the most carries. It very well may be Cody Glenn.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of articles on Wilson:

Junior college transfer Kenny Wilson has impressed his coaches and Husker teammates with his ability to pick up the NU system. (LJS)

Sophomore Cody Glenn remembers his first fall football camp at Nebraska last season. He doesn’t remember picking things up as quickly as Kenny Wilson is now.

“I’d say he is ahead of where we were at this point last year,” said Glenn, one of three true freshmen who joined the Huskers’ 2005 running back corps. “He’s doing really good.

“Some of the cuts he makes, and picking up blitzes and pass blocking and stuff like that ... he’s going to help us out a lot this year.”

That seems to be a prevailing thought from those who’ve seen Wilson, a highly-touted junior college transfer, during preseason practices.

Actually, the hype began during the summer, when Wilson reportedly turned heads by more than adequately accomplishing strength and conditioning coach Dave Kennedy’s grueling, voluntary workouts.

“They were tough,” Wilson said, “but I come from tough programs ... so I fit right in.”

Tough programs, and successful ones, too. In high school, Wilson starred for Liberal, Kan., a perennial Class 5A power. At Butler County (Kan.) Community College, he played in the 2004 national championship game.

Nebraska running backs coach Randy Jordan predicts a bright future for Wilson in Lincoln, too, and perhaps beyond.

“Whew,” Jordan responded, when asked to comment on Wilson’s most impressive physical quality. “His burst, man. He’s got tremendous burst. I mean, he can get up and down the hole pretty good. His ability to drop his weight and shift gears is really impressive.”

Wilson, though, is a newcomer in an intricate offense. Is he mentally prepared to contribute?

“They throw stuff at us every day,” Wilson said. “It gets a little confusing ... but it’s not too bad. I pretty much know what’s going on now. I just have to do it.”

Wilson said junior college helped prepare him for Division I-A ball, and that he knows coaches expect him to be mature and ready to play immediately.

Wilson, Glenn, Marlon Lucky and Brandon Jackson have all been rotating in practice, with each back getting ample repetitions, Wilson said. The group did include five backs until Leon Jackson’s decision Thursday to leave the program.

Jordan said he didn’t have a timetable for naming a starter, but talked about the value of having a running back-by-committee approach, and how each of NU’s backs has different strengths and could be used in varying situations.

Regarding Wilson, Jordan said he’s impressed with the newcomer’s willingness to help the team in any way possible. Wilson is also seeing time as a kickoff return man.

“That’s what I love about him,” Jordan said. “He’s a hard-nosed kid, and I think he’s going to be a fine, fine addition to our backfield.

“His willingness to learn is something that I really love about him. He takes criticism real well, and he know he has a lot of room to improve.”

The 6-foot, 220-pound Wilson ran for 1,292 yards and 14 touchdowns on 126 carries last season for Butler County, which also has sent Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor, receiver Frantz Hardy and tight end Justin Tomerlin.

“That’s really what inspired me,” Wilson said. “I’ve seen them come up here, and they talk, and I know they wouldn’t lie to me. They’ve already been my teammates. They loved it here. They said this is where it’s at.”

And from the Omaha Weird Herald:

LINCOLN - The first thing you notice about Kenny Wilson is the muscles.

Or is it his speed?

Wilson doesn't want you to be able to decide.

"I get underestimated because I'm 220 pounds," Wilson said, "but really, I'm a track guy."

Wilson, Nebraska's newest I-back, has turned heads consistently since arriving in Lincoln early this summer. It started in the Huskers' summer-conditioning program, when he made strength coach Dave Kennedy's grueling program look almost easy.

And now, a week into fall practice, Wilson is at it again.

The 6-foot, 220-pound transfer from Butler (Kan.) Community College has put himself in contention - with Cody Glenn, Marlon Lucky and Brandon Jackson - to start in the backfield when the NU football team opens Sept. 2 against Louisiana Tech.

"He's strong, explosive and he's got a running back's mentality," offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. "He understands holes and blocking schemes and what to do when you get your hands on the ball.

"Now he's just trying to feel comfortable in our system."

With his wild, braided hair popping in every direction and the words "Kansas Boy" tattooed on the back of his bulging arms, Wilson looked like a physical specimen as the Huskers practiced Wednesday afternoon inside the Hawks Center.

"He's got muscle everywhere," said Aaron Flores, his offensive coordinator for the past two seasons of junior college.

And with Wilson, the Huskers get a proven back who ranked as the nation's No. 8 overall juco prospect last year, according to rivals.com.

He rushed for 2,300 yards at Butler, including 1,292 on 126 attempts (10.3 per carry) and 14 touchdowns last season.

Sophomores Glenn, at 6-foot, 230 pounds, and Lucky, a 6-foot, 210-pound former star recruit, emerged from spring practice in April as the top candidates to replace departed I-back Cory Ross as the Nebraska starter.

"Those guys are great," Wilson said. "We're all just rotating. We're all getting reps."

Running backs coach Randy Jordan said there is no depth chart yet.

"I think what you see, in a guy like Kenny, is his body," Jordan said. "He's older than an 18-year-old kid coming out of high school. Physically, he's a lot more mature than when (Glenn and Lucky) came in. Kenny's a solid, solid guy."

A former juco teammate of NU quarterback Zac Taylor, receiver Frantz Hardy and tight end Justin Tomerlin, Wilson came to Butler from Liberal, Kan. In his final two seasons of high school football, he accumulated more than 2,500 rushing yards.

His personal-best times of 10.2 seconds in the 100-meter dash and 21.1 in the 200 still stand as records at Liberal High.

There's more to the 20-year-old junior, though, than strength and speed.

"He can do it all," said Flores, who watched Wilson in Lincoln during a few of his June workouts under Kennedy. "That's what separates him from others. He's going to do whatever it takes to get up to speed. He'll ask the extra questions. He'll work extra hard.

"I don't know how long it will take him to learn all that stuff, but I know he'll do whatever he needs to make it happen."

The Huskers have no plans to ease Wilson into their system. Jordan said NU is "throwing everything" at him.

"Our philosophy is to try to overload the brain," the coach said. "You overload, and then you see what you get out of it. Then I can ask him, 'What runs do you like? What passes do you like?' And that's where I can fit him, in my head, in a game."

So far, Wilson said, he's experienced little trouble with the running plays.

"That's just natural to me," he said.

The blocking and pass routes are relatively new to him. But Wilson said he's learning.

Norvell said he's looking forward to the day when it all clicks.

"We want to expose him to our offense at every level," Norvell said. "We want to give him the opportunity to do everything. We'll find out what he does well, and he'll settle into a role. That's kind of what training camp is all about."

Those were some good articles on Kenny Wil.

Seeing our schedule I would have to guess each back will get lots of good looks the first few games. Whoever emerges with the most momment will eventually take over the starting spot the rest of the way.

From all that I have read, or interpret it, Cody Glen seems to be Callahan's favorite, so I will guess he will start the season.

I can see two backs sharing the load during a game. Unfortunately whoever is third on the depth chart will probably get a few plays each game and that's it.

They all have incredible potential. Someone has got to step up and take the spot and it will be during a game when that happens. I am excited to see how this is going to unfold. Good to be a Cornhusker!