I finally figured out Beck!

Zaimejs

Nebraska only passed 21 times at the Purdue game. That's not an incredible amount by any stretch. The issues are of course when they were and the majority of them that weren't completed. There's equal blame to be put on Beck and Armstrong there. I think Armstrong should be counted on to hit most of those short passes (which appears to be a struggle) and we shouldn't be throwing risky out passes up by two scores late in the game.

The biggest problem of all is I do not think Beck thinks Armstrong is the ideal QB for what he wants. Which is inexplicable for a staff at this point of their tenure.

• Fire 1

Nebraska only passed 21 times at the Purdue game. That's not an incredible amount by any stretch. The issues are of course when they were and the majority of them that weren't completed. There's equal blame to be put on Beck and Armstrong there. I think Armstrong should be counted on to hit most of those short passes (which appears to be a struggle) and we shouldn't be throwing risky out passes up by two scores late in the game.

The biggest problem of all is I do not think Beck thinks Armstrong is the ideal QB for what he wants. Which is inexplicable for a staff at this point of their tenure.

I agree with this for the most part.

if true the last part is confusing. Why did they recruit him then if doesn't fit what beck wants to do? Isn't beck the one recruiting the qbs he had a completion percentage in high school similar to what he has now if beck wants a pass first qb why recruit a qb like Tommy

if true the last part is confusing. Why did they recruit him then if doesn't fit what beck wants to do? Isn't beck the one recruiting the qbs he had a completion percentage in high school similar to what he has now if beck wants a pass first qb why recruit a qb like Tommy

That's the only part I disagree with in his post, as I think what we thought we were getting with TA is exactly what we were looking for. A QB that can run the ball (option and zone read), and make enough passes to make the defense play honest to open up our running game. I think what we are finding out, is that currently TA isn't where we expected him to be at this point. We can argue to death over last season, but in the end we ended up starting a redshirt freshman that was still needing a ton of development when Martinez got injured.

Maybe being forced to start for roughly half of last year slowed down his development. Maybe TA wasn't as good of a passer that we thought he was when we recruited him, we wouldn't be the first school to have a "bust" (before I get reamed I use this term very loosely, even with my dislike of TA he isn't a complete bust in the passing game).

I do not, however, think we are recruiting players that do not fit what our OC is looking for. If that was the case it would be monumentally stupid.

You can't harp on Beck for calling "three straight pass plays, go three and out" and ignore just as many instances of us running the football for 3 straight plays and going three and out. Your hatred of Beck clouds your mind. We can't just run the ball straight at a defense that stacks the box and expect it to work (see McNeese St and Michigan State). We have to pass the ball to keep them honest, and in games that TA has been able to complete passes it works (see the Northwestern game). It's when he can't that we start to have some issues (McNeese St and Michigan State).

You can if the 3 pass plays he's discussing follow two long runs from Ameer in consecutive series where the rushing game was just demolishing the opponent.

That I was...

My dislike of Beck is the same as it was for Watson. They'd give you moments of brilliance, then turn around and completely shoot it in the ass. They've both been completely Jekyll and Hyde.

Beck's under utilization of the 3 rb's we have is mind boggling. With the way Ameer had been tearing folks up before he got hurt, should have allowed Cross and Newby to be more effective.

3 & outs are never good, but going 3 & out with 3 run plays is always better than 3 incomplete passes. For TOP reasons and wearing down the opposing defensive front reasons.

precisely...

Another reason I've never understood the fascination with "up tempo" offenses, especially when you've got the lead. If you're winning, and showing the ability to score on an opponent, why are you going to try and haul ass down the field, possibly giving the opposition a chance to catch up...