Bo and Beck

I am I

Honestly i think one HUGE thing could change the offense around fairly easily. Hire an OC that is a QB coach too. At the very least hire a QB coach if Bo insists on keeping Beck. I really think it could be that simple.

Or maybe just get better quarterbacks?

Just a thought...

Fine. Kindly just tell our coaches where to find a Mariota or Prescott and we'll move forward with them.

Read this article in the LJS: http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-beck-rightfully-hard-on-himself-for-repeat/article_afb94b23-2b7a-5f95-a1c9-4d13c608bb97.html?mobile_touch=true

Seems like he's being honest about it all.

That's a good step. However, it's at least the 3rd or 4th time he's admitted to it. I think it goes back to knowing, for sure for fact, that we will have some base things we'll try and do during any game agaisnt any opponent.

Adjust as necessary. If Beck can admit it, then he and Bo must talk about it. Even during this last homestretch of the season, it's never too late to pare things down and " do what you do". I hope Bo instructs beck to stop over thinking it.

I said the same exact thing about TA's post game comments where he took responsibility and admitted we would've lost to a better team.

I'm glad Beck owns up to this, but why the hell do we keep making this same mistake? When does he learn? And why have we not seen another Miami style smash mouth gameplan? Especially against teams we should overwhelm? Instead we get Beck calling option routes for picks and a center-QB combo that can't snap the ball.

Maddening.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Beck's style of offense. Although I'd be more than willing to overlook that if it was as efficient as some of the offenses we're trying emulate.

I think a more traditional, ball control, power running game would suit us more than an up-tempo, no-huddle, hodgepodge of various offensive philosophies. Especially with the way our defense and special teams is playing.

• Fire 2

Read this article in the LJS: http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-beck-rightfully-hard-on-himself-for-repeat/article_afb94b23-2b7a-5f95-a1c9-4d13c608bb97.html?mobile_touch=true

That's a good step. However, it's at least the 3rd or 4th time he's admitted to it. I think it goes back to knowing, for sure for fact, that we will have some base things we'll try and do during any game agaisnt any opponent.

Adjust as necessary. If Beck can admit it, then he and Bo must talk about it. Even during this last homestretch of the season, it's never too late to pare things down and " do what you do". I hope Bo instructs beck to stop over thinking it.

I said the same exact thing about TA's post game comments where he took responsibility and admitted we would've lost to a better team.

I'm glad Beck owns up to this, but why the hell do we keep making this America mistake? When does he learn? And why have we not seen another Miami style smash mouth gameplan? Especially against teams we should overwhelm? Instead we get Beck calling option routes for picks and a center-QB combo that can't snap the ball,

Maddening.

Maddening is a good word. Time and time again, the same old "I thought too much", "tried to do to much" etc....Find a distinctive identity on O. Right now we are a zone read, spread option, power running, up tempo, with elements of the WCO...........WTH? How do we recruit kids for this? How do we get good at any of it? Why can't we just be "X" and become great at that?

I would love to see us develop a power game like we did against Miami as our base, with PA being the staple of our passing game. Attacking vertical and the middle of the field.

The the "whole" it started to steam roll with the miscues. Damn man, sit your QB for a series to calm him the hell down. Quit calling passing plays. Line up and run the ball right down their throat to settle the O. I'm not a coach and haven't been, but that seems a logical way to do it.

Continued comments like this in the article tell me that Beck is in over his head right now. Will he one day become a great OC? Perhaps. Is he now? Not IMO. NU needs to find a competent OC who gets kids for "his" system and builds the system around the talent he has. Beck wants a pass first QB. Martinez-nope, TA-nope, Stanton-nope........Tired of Beck and the excuses. Against better talent, he costs games......

• Fire 2

Great points about special teams and Defense.

By all accounts when Bo directly puts his finger on a need of the program it does seem to get better.

Thanks for clarifying when else I heard him say that about the O.

I hope they get it together for these last 4-5 games.

I actually want Bo to succeed. he coaches character and that means a lot to me. His public image has improved and he is learning to be a manager. recruiting appears to be on the rise as well. I am worried that as an inexperienced coach, he has surrounded himself with even less experienced coordinators. Not a good thing. Like Cally and Coz, Beck (IMO) might cost Bo. If there is true frustration, it might be that Bo is looking at options to improve the O and one might be letting his friend go......

I think its time we stop calling Bo an inexperienced coach.

With his initial hires. He needed (2008-2010) to have surrounded himself with qualified experienced coordinators. He did not. He continues to teach and train his D staff and has an OC who's learning on the fly.

Or TA an inexperienced QB........

And more awesome stuff here.......

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-tough-test-is-an-opportunity-for-tim-beck-husker/article_cf781864-327c-53db-a099-5d79e359e300.html

Beck apparently spent all last week cramming his unit for a quantum physics exam, the way he prepared quarterback Tommy Armstrong and the offense. Three different defensive looks in practice for each offensive set? New route wrinkles? For Purdue?

Guard Mike Moudy isn’t a captain, but he unintentionally crystallized — in a kind way — what Husker fans see when Nebraska breaks tendency and Beck, like an aggressive Wall Street bond trader, tries to find the big short in the opposing defense.

“We spent too much time looking to throw the perfect play at them instead of just running our style, downhill, and trying to get on the ball and lined up as fast as possible,” he said.

Beck said afterward he was “mad at myself.” Armstrong was steamed at himself.

Yep, this is the guy to be the OC. Year 4................

• Fire 1

I'm glad Beck owns up to this, but why the hell do we keep making this America mistake? When does he learn? And why have we not seen another Miami style smash mouth gameplan? Especially against teams we should overwhelm? Instead we get Beck calling option routes for picks and a center-QB combo that can't snap the ball,

Maddening.

Maddening is a good word. Time and time again, the same old "I thought too much", "tried to do to much" etc....Find a distinctive identity on O. Right now we are a zone read, spread option, power running, up tempo, with elements of the WCO...........WTH? How do we recruit kids for this? How do we get good at any of it? Why can't we just be "X" and become great at that?

I would love to see us develop a power game like we did against Miami as our base, with PA being the staple of our passing game. Attacking vertical and the middle of the field.

The the "whole" it started to steam roll with the miscues. Damn man, sit your QB for a series to calm him the hell down. Quit calling passing plays. Line up and run the ball right down their throat to settle the O. I'm not a coach and haven't been, but that seems a logical way to do it.

Continued comments like this in the article tell me that Beck is in over his head right now. Will he one day become a great OC? Perhaps. Is he now? Not IMO. NU needs to find a competent OC who gets kids for "his" system and builds the system around the talent he has. Beck wants a pass first QB. Martinez-nope, TA-nope, Stanton-nope........Tired of Beck and the excuses. Against better talent, he costs games......

The frustrating thing is we can clearly see what Beck wants to our O to be. And we see flashes of it during games, but his offenses are characteristically erratic and inconsistent. He gets a good amount of leash because it works so well for spurts of time in games and by the end of the game he usually puts up top 10 rushing, top 25 scoring, and a handful of big passing plays type numbers.

On paper, by the numbers, his offense looks really quite good.

It is clear to me that Beck wants our offense to be Oregon. You can tell he pulls a lot of concepts from them and we all know he's consulted their coaches a good bit in the past.

I'm fine with that. Chip Kelly uses his rushing attacks to set up everything his offenses do. You can see it in how he calls Philly's O in the NFL now. And I think we could use play action quite effectively both from shotgun and pistol. I wish we'd use more I formation but can't have everything perfect.

The problem is, his offense falters in losses. Here's our losses since TB took over OC in 2011:

2014 MSU: 27-22

2013 Iowa: 38-17

2013 MSU: 41-28

2013 Minny: 34-23

2013 UCLA: 41-21

2012 UGA: 45-31

2012 Wiscy: 70-31

2012 OSU: 63-38

2012 UCLA: 36-30

2011 S Carolina: 30-13

2011 Mich: 45-17

2011 NW: 28-25

2011 Wiscy: 48-17

I'd argue 10 of those losses could be blamed mostly on the offense. I include Mich and Wiscy in 2011 because although the defense got lit up, our offense also got shut down and did not help make it competitive.

The difference between our offense and Oregon's is that they always have a very capable QB chucking the rock around over in Eugene. Mariota, Darren Thomas, Dennis Dixon. Hell, even Kansas had Reesing. Tim Beck doesn't have one of those QBs but calls many games like he does.

I'm of the belief he will not be able to develop one on his own, the way the staff is currently setup. So we either need to get him someone to maximize his QBs development, or look elsewhere. I don't think this offense ever aches its full potential without doing so. We'll continue to see inconsistent QB play and minimal development until we do something.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-tough-test-is-an-opportunity-for-tim-beck-husker/article_cf781864-327c-53db-a099-5d79e359e300.html

Beck apparently spent all last week cramming his unit for a quantum physics exam, the way he prepared quarterback Tommy Armstrong and the offense. Three different defensive looks in practice for each offensive set? New route wrinkles? For Purdue?[/size]

Guard Mike Moudy isn’t a captain, but he unintentionally crystallized — in a kind way — what Husker fans see when Nebraska breaks tendency and Beck, like an aggressive Wall Street bond trader, tries to find the big short in the opposing defense.

“We spent too much time looking to throw the perfect play at them instead of just running our style, downhill, and trying to get on the ball and lined up as fast as possible,” he said.

Good god. This personifies our stubborn refusal to stick with our chess match and try to outsmart the defense instead of just imposing our will and doing what we do.

No disrespect, but Purdue is a team on which you impose your damn will.

This guy seems to lack common sense.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Beck's style of offense. Although I'd be more than willing to overlook that if it was as efficient as some of the offenses we're trying emulate.

I think a more traditional, ball control, power running game would suit us more than an up-tempo, no-huddle, hodgepodge of various offensive philosophies. Especially with the way our defense and special teams is playing.

Your not going to change offensive philosophies in the middle of the season. I thinks Becks big problem is exactly what he says.

He gets too complicated and worries too much about what the defense is going to do to try and stop our offense. I think he looked at the Purdue tape before the game and said man they throw all these things at us and we need to do all these things to counter it. He was not trusting that we are just better than their defense athlete for athlete.

You always want to do the things that you think will work against a particular defense, but you also have to do what you do well. Beck is to worried about trying to outsmart other teams sometimes and as he says he outsmarts himself. That can be a fatal flaw as an OC.

In the game we needed to see more Newby and less Cross. We needed more wiggle on the field, that is our offense. We needed to see TA carry the ball more often, he needed 5-6 more carries in the game.

Some of you guys are just way down on TA though. This was really his worst game so far. He actually played pretty well against Rutgers.

• Fire 2

Im not trying to let Beck off the hook. Alot of the calls in the last 3-4 games have been mind boggling. Its not like we are so one dimensional that we have to run the same game plan every week. We are talented enough to adjust to the situation, yet we dont. If Beck goes to KU my worry is another buddy taking his spot. I like what our offense COULD be.

Tommy on he other hand is still just desperate to make a play. When it was Taylor he was the focal point. Tommy is second banana to Ameer and I get the feeling he wants the spotlight on him hence long bomb passes to receivers wearing a different color. Our Center play was atrocious as well but gimme a break, even sophmores shouldnt bobble that many snaps.

The game shouldve been 28-0 going into the 2nd quarter. How many gifts can you receive and not capitalize on. Putrid series after putrid series.

Hey man, I'm not just absolving Tommy of any blame either. That fumbled snap on the one yard line was easily Tommy's fault. I've re-watched it, the kid just dropped it. At what point do we declare this an issue and change something though. The coaches have to decide this, Tommy can't. Tommy went under center and immediately fumbles that one but there's two contributing issues here.

1. We don't play under center ever, which leads you to believe we don't practice it much either. Kind of hard to be efficient or effective at something you don't practice.

2. A center rotation is the coaches decision and it is really adding confusion and inconsistency to this situation. It shouldn't be. Pelini should NOT be playing.

A few more things to discuss here but I felt like moving this out of the woodshed to see other viewpoints on it.

Beck is not 100% to blame but Tommy isn't either. You simply begin to start looking at offensive coaching staff when the same issues arise year after year.

1. QB's have struggled with some very basic concepts for quite some time now. At what point does the thought of a designated QB coach start to enter the minds of some people in charge. We've heard the argument about a lot of other schools not having one and still being successful, well we aren't other schools, and we are struggling in this area and have for quite some time.

2. Tommy Armstrong is still not checking down. 9 games into the schedule we watch the same problems. What's the excuse? We can't fix it as a staff? If not why, and why are you paid so highly then? The beginning of the second quarter 84 chips a blocker and comes off it, wide open probably an 8 yard pass with plenty of green in front of him. Tommy throws down field 20 yards to a man covered by three defenders. In the same series, Newby comes out of the backfield, possibly could have blocked the blitzing safety but Tommy had time regardless. Newby is standing all alone 4 yards off the line of scrimmage, easy throw 100% completion rate (you would hope), Tommy launches one downfield. Incomplete.

3. Who is responsible for all of these deep passes? Is Tommy not capable of taking a shorter route? Why does every pass seemingly have to be a home run? Are these deep routes designed play calls? We've been told receivers make reads and determine their routes, are they the ones that just can't seem to stop running 25-50 yard routes all damn game? If so, why are we not telling them to stop it? All game long this went on, it has all season....has nobody talked about this?

4. Why are we giving these kids so much responsibilty and control of the play designs? It isn't working. It seems like a lot to handle. We may have scored 35 points, but Purdue is a weak defeense, and for as many possessions as we had, and the great field position, we sure look ineffective a lot.

5. Relates to number 3, but in that wind, at what point does someone get in Tommy's ear and these WR's ears and stop chucking it into the wind? When do we take the passing game out for a bit?

6. Ahead by two scores and throwing the ball?

7. Ahead by two scores in the fourth, trying to maintain a lead, and snapping the ball with over 10 sometimes 15 seconds on the play clock? Where is the awareness by the QB or anyone else for that matter? Understanding the situation? Wheres a coach telling him this is not the time for a hurry up offense.

8. Offensive line has been an issue at Nebraska seemingly every year. When do we fix it? When do we identify the issue? Or do we just keep letting it go? We couldn't push Purdue defensive line at all, not even on the 1 yard line. Kind of sad IMO.

9. "Overcoached em". Heard it twice this year now. For a season, an off season, and half another season fans have been showered with promises of simplification, fundamentals, and efficiency. How is "overcoached" even part of the vocabulary after all that?

10. Does a TE exist at Nebraska? Do we know that TE are allowed to not only block, but receive passes as well? At this point, I don't think we do know. A deep pass to back of opposing defenses is effective, but a short out route to a TE is too. If that TE breaks a tackle or even picks up 6-8 yards on that play on a consistent basis, it's hell for a defense to load up on your run game. TE are generally big bodied and big enough targets to be a high percentage completion for a QB.

11. The rocket ball. Does Tommy have a touch pass? If so, I haven't seen it. Does he realize every ball doesn't have to be a rocket? Has one coach, any of all the guys we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to mentioned to Tommy that he needs to work on this. Hell, in practice, make him throw touch passes only the entire time. If he rockets it, he runs. It just may help him develop that part of his game, who knows? Shouldn't the coaches at least be trying?

12. IMO Beck needs to be on the sideline. It may help him understand the elements a bit more. See what the QB is actually up against out there. Also, a sideline view will take away the "video game" wizard type of feel Beck seems to approach this game with.

Beck apparently spent all last week cramming his unit for a quantum physics exam, the way he prepared quarterback Tommy Armstrong and the offense. Three different defensive looks in practice for each offensive set? New route wrinkles? For Purdue?

Holy crap.

I've had it with this guy, honestly.

Do people realize with the level of talent we have, how good we could be with an actual college offensive coordinator with some experience at this level. Beck has a long ways to go, and with stories like this, it only tells you that what experience he has had, he's not learning.

Hell, Beck could be the greatest OC of all time if he would just stop with all these complications.

Your not going to change offensive philosophies in the middle of the season. I thinks Becks big problem is exactly what he says.

He gets too complicated and worries too much about what the defense is going to do to try and stop our offense. I think he looked at the Purdue tape before the game and said man they throw all these things at us and we need to do all these things to counter it. He was not trusting that we are just better than their defense athlete for athlete.

You always want to do the things that you think will work against a particular defense, but you also have to do what you do well. Beck is to worried about trying to outsmart other teams sometimes and as he says he outsmarts himself. That can be a fatal flaw as an OC.

In the game we needed to see more Newby and less Cross. We needed more wiggle on the field, that is our offense. We needed to see TA carry the ball more often, he needed 5-6 more carries in the game.

Some of you guys are just way down on TA though. This was really his worst game so far. He actually played pretty well against Rutgers.

Totally agree. Second half of Northwestern and against Rutgers Tommy was solid. Purdue was his worst outing yet.

........and instantly he is being attacked. Almost viciously attacked some would say.

Im not trying to let Beck off the hook. Alot of the calls in the last 3-4 games have been mind boggling. Its not like we are so one dimensional that we have to run the same game plan every week. We are talented enough to adjust to the situation, yet we dont. If Beck goes to KU my worry is another buddy taking his spot. I like what our offense COULD be.

Tommy on he other hand is still just desperate to make a play. When it was Taylor he was the focal point. Tommy is second banana to Ameer and I get the feeling he wants the spotlight on him hence long bomb passes to receivers wearing a different color. Our Center play was atrocious as well but gimme a break, even sophmores shouldnt bobble that many snaps.

The game shouldve been 28-0 going into the 2nd quarter. How many gifts can you receive and not capitalize on. Putrid series after putrid series.

Hey man, I'm not just absolving Tommy of any blame either. That fumbled snap on the one yard line was easily Tommy's fault. I've re-watched it, the kid just dropped it. At what point do we declare this an issue and change something though. The coaches have to decide this, Tommy can't. Tommy went under center and immediately fumbles that one but there's two contributing issues here.

1. We don't play under center ever, which leads you to believe we don't practice it much either. Kind of hard to be efficient or effective at something you don't practice.

2. A center rotation is the coaches decision and it is really adding confusion and inconsistency to this situation. It shouldn't be. Pelini should NOT be playing.

A few more things to discuss here but I felt like moving this out of the woodshed to see other viewpoints on it.

Beck is not 100% to blame but Tommy isn't either. You simply begin to start looking at offensive coaching staff when the same issues arise year after year.

1. QB's have struggled with some very basic concepts for quite some time now. At what point does the thought of a designated QB coach start to enter the minds of some people in charge. We've heard the argument about a lot of other schools not having one and still being successful, well we aren't other schools, and we are struggling in this area and have for quite some time.

2. Tommy Armstrong is still not checking down. 9 games into the schedule we watch the same problems. What's the excuse? We can't fix it as a staff? If not why, and why are you paid so highly then? The beginning of the second quarter 84 chips a blocker and comes off it, wide open probably an 8 yard pass with plenty of green in front of him. Tommy throws down field 20 yards to a man covered by three defenders. In the same series, Newby comes out of the backfield, possibly could have blocked the blitzing safety but Tommy had time regardless. Newby is standing all alone 4 yards off the line of scrimmage, easy throw 100% completion rate (you would hope), Tommy launches one downfield. Incomplete.

3. Who is responsible for all of these deep passes? Is Tommy not capable of taking a shorter route? Why does every pass seemingly have to be a home run? Are these deep routes designed play calls? We've been told receivers make reads and determine their routes, are they the ones that just can't seem to stop running 25-50 yard routes all damn game? If so, why are we not telling them to stop it? All game long this went on, it has all season....has nobody talked about this?

4. Why are we giving these kids so much responsibilty and control of the play designs? It isn't working. It seems like a lot to handle. We may have scored 35 points, but Purdue is a weak defeense, and for as many possessions as we had, and the great field position, we sure look ineffective a lot.

5. Relates to number 3, but in that wind, at what point does someone get in Tommy's ear and these WR's ears and stop chucking it into the wind? When do we take the passing game out for a bit?

6. Ahead by two scores and throwing the ball?

7. Ahead by two scores in the fourth, trying to maintain a lead, and snapping the ball with over 10 sometimes 15 seconds on the play clock? Where is the awareness by the QB or anyone else for that matter? Understanding the situation? Wheres a coach telling him this is not the time for a hurry up offense.

8. Offensive line has been an issue at Nebraska seemingly every year. When do we fix it? When do we identify the issue? Or do we just keep letting it go? We couldn't push Purdue defensive line at all, not even on the 1 yard line. Kind of sad IMO.

9. "Overcoached em". Heard it twice this year now. For a season, an off season, and half another season fans have been showered with promises of simplification, fundamentals, and efficiency. How is "overcoached" even part of the vocabulary after all that?

10. Does a TE exist at Nebraska? Do we know that TE are allowed to not only block, but receive passes as well? At this point, I don't think we do know. A deep pass to back of opposing defenses is effective, but a short out route to a TE is too. If that TE breaks a tackle or even picks up 6-8 yards on that play on a consistent basis, it's hell for a defense to load up on your run game. TE are generally big bodied and big enough targets to be a high percentage completion for a QB.

11. The rocket ball. Does Tommy have a touch pass? If so, I haven't seen it. Does he realize every ball doesn't have to be a rocket? Has one coach, any of all the guys we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to mentioned to Tommy that he needs to work on this. Hell, in practice, make him throw touch passes only the entire time. If he rockets it, he runs. It just may help him develop that part of his game, who knows? Shouldn't the coaches at least be trying?

12. IMO Beck needs to be on the sideline. It may help him understand the elements a bit more. See what the QB is actually up against out there. Also, a sideline view will take away the "video game" wizard type of feel Beck seems to approach this game with.

1. Other schools have an OC who knows how to coach a QB as well. Beck does not.

2. TA has not been taught to make progressions. Almost always locked on, will at times go to a second option.

4. Both picks last game came from miscommunication on option routes by Westerkamp.

8. We continue to start the same 5 guys each game. It's glaringly obvious our best OL features the three backups. Seniority probably plays a part in this, but that still sucks.

9. Third game we've had to explain a crap game from the O. Two with AA. Inexcusable.

10. We need Carter back bad. Cotton is just not a receiving TE. Not for what Beck wants his TEs to do.

11. This boggles my mind as well. See #1 as to why it's not fixed.

12. It'd be worth it just to see Bo rip him a new @$$hole on the sideline.