This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.......

lo country

Or to put it another way, if Nebraska had anything resembling a vintage Husker defense for the past five years, we wouldn't be having this offensive identity conversation at all.

Except it's been a major topic of discussion since Bill Callahan put the nail in the coffin. Even during the 2009 season when we had the best defense in the country.

Why did I even bother to say "for the past five years"?

Okay. Let me put it another way.

If Tommie Frazier was running Tom Osborne's offense, and then had to hand the game over to the current Husker defense, we wouldn't be celebrating the glory days of the mid-90s.

Nebraska's problem isn't the offense we we choose run (which everyone else in the country considers "run heavy.") It's the complete executional meltdown by offense, defense and special teams when we play good teams in high-pressure games,. The problem is when the exact same things that worked in previous games don't work, the entire team and coaching staff panics. When your best player fumbles three times, your receivers drop balls, your quarterback keeps looking helplessly to the sideline, and your vastly improved defense suddenly loses the will to tackle the player running right past them for 408 yards. When the halftime speeches and adjustments inspire the whole team to come out in the second half and play even worse.

Don't assume a new offensive coordinator would call significantly different plays than Tim Beck, any more than you assumed Tim Beck would call significantly different plays than Shawn Watson. Or any different than Wisconsin OC Andy Ludwig, who has called several games this year that would drive the same Beck-haters nuts.

Nebraska lack discipline, mental toughness and consistency across the board. That's a head coaching issue. But by all means, keep throwing the OC under the bus.

Amen! (to the whole post but the bolded in particular)

I'll continue to throw Beck under the bus. As well as Paps, Els, Cotton, Garrison and Bo. It's a complete broken mess. There was not one redemptive part of that game that you can garner any semblance of a well oiled machine. It was a complete Charlie Foxtrot.

beck continues to call some hodge lodge mess of sh!t. NO IDEA how to counter a stacked box, no 2 back sets, no TE, no ability to get a QB developed. Not his fault? Please.

Now is the issue deeper than Beck alone? Absolutely.

If Tommie Frazier was running Tom Osborne's offense, and then had to hand the game over to the current Husker defense, we wouldn't be celebrating the glory days of the mid-90s.

Obviously this is true. However, we also wouldn't be losing 59-24 and giving up 408 to Gordon, because he'd spend too much time on the bench watching our offense grind its way into the endzone.

The power run game of old is only one component of the formula.

Obviously this is true. However, we also wouldn't be losing 59-24 and giving up 408 to Gordon, because he'd spend too much time on the bench watching our offense grind its way into the endzone.

The power run game of old is only one component of the formula.

Then again, if Tommie Frazier, or one of many less legendary quarterbacks were running this exact same Tim Beck offense, we would appreciate its power running numbers more, including the passing threat that helps set up the run, and always has.

I don't even buy the notion that we've gone away from a power running game. Ameer Abdullah, Rex Burkhead and Roy Helu have had three of the best rushing careers in Nebraska football history behind less-than-stellar offensive lines. Teams that have abandoned the run don't typically keep showing up as one of the top rushing teams in the nation.

That defensive converse is also true: when the defense puts the offense in a hole, especially in the second half, the grind-it-out offensive gameplan goes out the window. Some of those vintage Nebraska teams started slow. As long as the defense kept it close, the offense had the luxury of wearing the other team down.

I don't think Beck deserves half the sh#t he gets around here, but I would certainly want a new head coach to bring in a new OC. Fresh start and all.

I have no doubt we can find exciting new coaches and players to throw under the bus.

Scott Frost. He gets it. This is an old article, but defines our current offensive woes in a way that I can't. We all talk about lack of identity, not having a system and having no answer when the D stuffs the box.

I like/liked the idea of Scott as OC. Even better after reading this article. Just picturing what he envisions is awesome, and possible and would be embraced like a hungry man on a Runza. (damn I miss those. I mean really, really miss those!)

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.ULQyN5ed.55jANbiT.dpbs

Good stuff. Almost sounds like he wants to come back.

Great article, I don't really care what kind of offense Nebraska whether they spread it out and run an option like Oregon or line up in a power I and pound people like Wisconsin. Nebraska needs an identity on offense what ever it is and recruit to it and master it. I have no idea what kind of offense Nebraska is trying to run now but it looks like sh#t every Saturday

This is the offense. TA in the huddle - "Okay, one of you big guys jump offsides so it's 1st and 15. After I walk up to center then back off into the gun snap it when I clap. If I fumble that snap Ameer jump on it. If I get it I'm sprinting left and throwing as hard as I can out of bounds. Break!

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

That's the only way is go for it.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

Turn it into a bigger disaster than Bo? Not possible.

I don't even buy the notion that we've gone away from a power running game.

I don't know what to tell you, then. It's plainly obvious Beck runs a spread option finesse offense. He's trying to be Oregon, he's just not very good at it.

When we have a coordinator who says the TE and FB positions are obsolete and an offensive line coach who tells incoming freshmen he would like them to become smaller and weaker, it's safe to say we've gone away from it.

Running the ball a lot =/= power.

I'm fine with you thinking Beck gets too much grief. The point of my post wasn't to gripe about Beck's ability, I just don't care for that style of offense. Frost would bring that style of offense. If he could make work here like it works at Oregon, great! But there will always be a part of me that wishes we would go back to the well.

"When I was at Nebraska, our calling card was we were a tough, physical team. Everybody knew it. We knew it. We were proud of it. We embodied it. We embraced it. We loved the fact that we were going to try to completely beat up a defense. Nobody wanted to play us because of the physical nature of our team."

I don't even buy the notion that we've gone away from a power running game.

I don't know what to tell you, then. It's plainly obvious Beck runs a spread option finesse offense. He's trying to be Oregon, he's just not very good at it.

When we have a coordinator who says the TE and FB positions are obsolete and an offensive line coach who tells incoming freshmen he would like them to become smaller and weaker, it's safe to say we've gone away from it.

Running the ball a lot =/= power.

I'm fine with you thinking Beck gets too much grief. The point of my post wasn't to gripe about Beck's ability, I just don't care for that style of offense. Frost would bring that style of offense. If he could make work here like it works at Oregon, great! But there will always be a part of me that wishes we would go back to the well.

"When I was at Nebraska, our calling card was we were a tough, physical team. Everybody knew it. We knew it. We were proud of it. We embodied it. We embraced it. We loved the fact that we were going to try to completely beat up a defense. Nobody wanted to play us because of the physical nature of our team."

A great quote from the offensive Guru Beck:

That's the crazy offensive type things that are starting to develop over us like some stuff that we do. We have plays that it's a pass and a run at the same time and we read the guy. If the guy covers the pass, we hand the ball off and if he doesn't, if he's sitting in there playing the run, then we throw it. So we have the best of both worlds and he's wrong no matter what he does. Why? Because they're reading us, so now we're, in turn, reading them, where in the past, the running back would say, "Oh, it looks like a run, and I'm gonna play the run". It doesn't work like that any more.

WTH! Yea, simple, efficient and effective.....Especially with a QB who can't even go through progressions, look off a safety and an OL that has trouble getting the snap count....Genius.
Yes, I still dislike Beck as OC.......