Scott Shanle breaks down Huskers' D v. Wisconsin

QMany

On that first play, Davie is responsible for the fact he doesn't read the block. When he sees #78 for Wisconsin turn to seal, Davie should have the instinct, or knowledge, to know that run is likely coming off the edge. Instead, he sucks in, and lets Gordon get the edge.

Look at the goal line play Shanle talks about - not a single individual on our d-line got off a block. Some guys were 2-3 yards deep off the LOS. That's just guys getting their butts whipped. That's nothing to do with someone setting an edge.

That's the thing about football. It's a team sport. Folks get beat on plays. But that's where teammates are supposed to be there to back you up. The problem wasn't as simple as the DE getting sealed. It was the fact that numerous players were out of position play after play after play. Mistakes were compounded by other mistakes. Not just a DE getting sealed out on a play.

Yards per carry allowed national rank under Bo

2014 - 98

2013 - 32

2012 - 96

2011 - 55

2010 - 44

2009 - 4

2008 - 38

Pass efficiency D under Bo

2014 - 3

2013 - 46

2012 - 9

2011 - 34

2010 - 3

2009 - 1

2008 - 82

You don't need to be an X and O guy to realize he puts his emphasis on stopping the pass. It's his defensive philosophy and it's considered "backwards" by almost every defensive coach out there, as most philosophies emphasize stopping the run first.

Having this philosophy in the Big Ten is simply imcompetent. Bo's doesn't worry about big picture stuff like that though.

Wrong...you don't have to pass when you rush for 500 yards. When something is working for the other side they pour it on. The whole thing is broken, not just parts of it.

Well that's my point. Stopping the pass first against run first teams is incompetent. Read the post

2014 - 98

2013 - 32

2012 - 96

2011 - 55

2010 - 44

2009 - 4

2008 - 38

2014 - 3

2013 - 46

2012 - 9

2011 - 34

2010 - 3

2009 - 1

2008 - 82

You don't need to be an X and O guy to realize he puts his emphasis on stopping the pass. It's his defensive philosophy and it's considered "backwards" by almost every defensive coach out there, as most philosophies emphasize stopping the run first.

Having this philosophy in the Big Ten is simply imcompetent. Bo's doesn't worry about big picture stuff like that though.

You can't argue with this stuff, but some will keep trying.

2014 - 98

2013 - 32

2012 - 96

2011 - 55

2010 - 44

2009 - 4

2008 - 38

2014 - 3

2013 - 46

2012 - 9

2011 - 34

2010 - 3

2009 - 1

2008 - 82

Wrong...you don't have to pass when you rush for 500 yards. When something is working for the other side they pour it on. The whole thing is broken, not just parts of it.

Well that's my point. Stopping the pass first against run first teams is incompetent. Read the post

They don't stop anything. If a team had to pass they could. How many marginal QBs have put up solid numbers against a Bofense?....plenty. I'd have to rely on the stat geeks, but I know they are out there. They don't control the LOS. As jacked as many have been with the intermittent pass rush this year, it is only marginally better then the no pass rush from 2013.

Wisky was 7-11 (64%) for 46 yards. It's not lock down pass coverage because a is ravaging you in the run game. I will bet that 46 yards passing moved the huskers up several spots in passing D.

2014 - 98

2013 - 32

2012 - 96

2011 - 55

2010 - 44

2009 - 4

2008 - 38

2014 - 3

2013 - 46

2012 - 9

2011 - 34

2010 - 3

2009 - 1

2008 - 82

They don't stop anything. If a team had to pass they could. How many marginal QBs have put up solid numbers against a Bofense?....plenty. I'd have to rely on the stat geeks, but I know they are out there. They don't control the LOS. As jacked as many have been with the intermittent pass rush this year, it is only marginally better then the no pass rush from 2013.

Wisky was 7-11 (64%) for 46 yards. It's not lock down pass coverage because a is ravaging you in the run game. I will bet that 46 yards passing moved the huskers up several spots in passing D.

If you think I'm defending Pelini you need to reread what I've written.

What this says to me is that one of the biggest issues with Pelini is player accountability. If the scheme works (highly debatable but we'll let it slide for arguments' sake) and it's the players not doing their job, as Shanle suggests, then why isn't Bo sitting guys who continually screw up? You need to have some accountability or the players will continue to make the same mistakes in perpetuity. Yes they'll get a chewing out but if you let them go out there the next series and f#*k up again then what's the point? It's the same deal on the offensive side. Pelini will go down with the ship before he removes TA from the game. Maybe in practice TA is worlds better than Fyfe or Stanton, but obviously he wasn't in this game and needed to be benched. If Bo could incorporate some real accountability with PT I think we could get rid of messes like these

• Fire 2

2014 - 98

2013 - 32

2012 - 96

2011 - 55

2010 - 44

2009 - 4

2008 - 38

2014 - 3

2013 - 46

2012 - 9

2011 - 34

2010 - 3

2009 - 1

2008 - 82

Your point was right.

What this says to me is that one of the biggest issues with Pelini is player accountability. If the scheme works (highly debatable but we'll let it slide for arguments' sake) and it's the players not doing their job, as Shanle suggests, then why isn't Bo sitting guys who continually screw up? You need to have some accountability or the players will continue to make the same mistakes in perpetuity. Yes they'll get a chewing out but if you let them go out there the next series and f#*k up again then what's the point? It's the same deal on the offensive side. Pelini will go down with the ship before he removes TA from the game. Maybe in practice TA is worlds better than Fyfe or Stanton, but obviously he wasn't in this game and needed to be benched. If Bo could incorporate some real accountability with PT I think we could get rid of messes like these

Bo won't pull guys. If you start, you start until you graduate. Look at the MSU game. We switched OL and bam.....Yet next week, the same starting OL. Wisky....the same.....

TA far from serviceable against Wisky and looked horrible at Purdue IIRC yet he stays in. Martinez in 2010 starts and was injured.....It's BO's MO. Even AA was obviously hurt against Wisky and stayed in until TA got laid out from the 3rd blown block.......

It has got to kill a kid like Stanton, an elite 11 QB winner, who watches TA implode and he stays in. Same with Cross and Newby. A one legged AA starts over them? Or M Pelini at center.....Lewis and Cotton good for about 50 yards in penalties per game........

Yep, its the players and their execution........Nope. It's the coaches letting that same crap fly for the past 7 years that has created a culture of no accountability......

LB #13 gets inside fullback on a lead then tries to spin out.No edge set again.Everyone did job except one guy #gdbye

B21bMycIAAIRzzr.jpg

LB hooked. Off to the races in the 3rd qtr. Make it worse they had a penalty then ran same play. they showed u once!

B21aIUAIIAADPdy.jpg

In summary. I don't believe it has anything to do with scheme. Its players doing their job and if u can't do it physically do it mentally >

<can be as simple as a better alignment to allow yourself win ur matchup. Bottom line get the ball back to your teammates so they can play!

Melvin Gordon is not Adrian Peterson but he is when you let him get outside the framework of your defense and get away from the noise!

In football the little things lead to the big things both positively and negatively.Mental preparation preceeds physical ability! #doYOURjob

I agree it can be as simple as a better alignment. End needs to take the proper angle and backer or strong safety needs to fill. It's high school. Bo chews on the guy after the first 1st quarter run, but no adjustments were made. What were the guys in the booth telling Bo. If they couldn't coach them during the first half they certainly should have straightened this out at half time.

Think back to the Northwestern game. We knocked the 1st string QB out of the game. He was ineffective regardless, but his replacement (a Freshman I believe gashed us a couple of times by getting outside the end. You better believe Minnesota and Iowa will try to attach us there also, and something tells me we will not have made the simple adjustments.

If the scheme is so complex a potential former top five pick looks foolish...

Fixed it for you...wait that's not right...

If the scheme is so complex a potential top five pick future undrafted free agent looks foolish

There, that looks more realistic at this point in time.

Ouch. Very sad.

Some of you can blame players for not executing this "spill" concept all you want, I won't. It's the same scheme we used in 2012 against them. We couldn't execute it then, we don't execute it now. The talent is here the coaching is not.

When something is not working you don't just stick with it because you believe in it. Believe in your players. Build around them.

Bring Nate Gerry up five yards off the line if scrimmage and send his ass blitzing every time because he's a mad dog and he plays aggressive. Move him around and make them guess where he's coming from instead of us always doing the guessing.

If we're so in love with read and react, fine do it, but once in awhile blitz, send em all. Don't play scared. Send Zaire Anderson cause the dude can f&#39;ing hit like a wrecking ball and once he lays the wood to someone it seems to build his confidence times 12 and it diminishes the confidence of the back. You think Gordon hits those gaps a hundre miles an hour every time if ZA gets to torpedo his ass instead of " playing leverage" and "spilling".

Corey Cooper may not be an open field tackling machine, I recognize this, why don't his coaches? Send the man blitzing once in a god damn while, he hits like a Mack Truck. You give Gordon a second to see a gap and he won't hesitate and his offensive line, fullback and H back will pave the way.

So why , when they are throwing 8 blockers at the point of attack, would Nebraska march their front four to the line of scrimmage and rarely put anymore there. Wisconsin was able to make the second level every time and the lanes were clear. Blame the defensive line sure....the one we were praising all season long.

Why does Rutgers, Illinois and every other team put 8 guys on the line of scrimmage? You force hesitation that's why. You make Gordon have pause and see the openings. We have the talent that if we would have put 8 of us versus 8 of them, I guarantee we get penetration and win the point of attack.

You lose that point of attack, you lose the game. Watch five minutes of every other team Wisconsin has played this year. None of them did what we did and none of them allowed 408 yards to anyone ever.

To be clear, the offense sucked too.

• Fire 5

Some of you can blame players for not executing this "spill" concept all you want, I won't. It's the same scheme we used in 2012 against them. We couldn't execute it then, we don't execute it now. The talent is here the coaching is not.

Coincidentally, it did work against them in 2012 to the tune of 56 yards on the ground. Did Bo change the scheme?

• Fire 1