Why is Ron Brown always regarded as a keeper?

f***in fan

I am no fan of the evangelical right. So I am perhaps biased but why is Ron Brown always regarded as must keep on the staff? He has been part of the same dreary staff for a long time. His ties to Frank Solich? His ties to Tom Osborne?

I am not really sold on Tom's boys anymore. Turner Gill would have been terrible here and Frankie is not confused for Urban Meyer in Ohio............

wut...

I'll point to recent history:

Ron Brown's years as TE coach under Bo Pelini:

Ben Cotton

Mike McNeill

Kyler Reed

Ron Brown's years as RB coach under Bo Pelini:

Rex Burkhead

Ameer Abdullah

It's obvious he's doing something right, as his position groups are almost always one of the strongest on the team... Are you out to get him for the sole reason that he's a Christian? Because that's pretty low of you...

• Fire 4

Ron Brown has only coached running backs here since 2011. 2008-2010 under Bo in his return he coached Tight Ends. Prior to that under Solich it was wide receivers.

Has his position groups UNDER HIS TUTALEGE ever been an issue?

And to say Turner Gill wouldnt have been any good here is somewhat revisionist. Just because he failed (also debateable, given only two seasons) at a garbage and suddenly entitled feeling program like Kansas with an empty cupboard?

Though I do agree that not hiring Gill was a right choice at the time. But the reasoning for that to me is not useable to justify saying Brown should go just cuz theyre Osborne/Solich guys.

If that makes any sense.

Well idk, might have something to do with the fact that our running backs are usually regarded as some of the best in the nation, develop 2 stars into heisman candidates, recruit top talent....

Which 2 star did he develop into a Heisman candidate?

3 star, apologies

Just asking, your post implied he regularly turned 2 star players into Heisman candidates and I didn't know who else you meant.

I mentioned Ron Brown as the "obvious choice" for the continuity coach in a post yesterday, so maybe this thread is referencing that?

I mentioned Brown because he's the least "Bo's Guy" coach on the staff that a new coach would consider retaining. The other two are Cotton and Garrison, but I doubt they would be kept. Cotton for obvious reasons and Garrison because he's not a proven commodity and a new coach probably has a short list of O Line coaches in his hip pocket, and it's unlikely Garrison is on that list.

Coach Brown is the clear choice because he's well-liked by the vast majority of fans, he's a link to the Glory Days, and he's a pretty solid coach. If you have to keep a guy from the previous regime to help the players transition to your staff/way of doing things, Brown's a pretty good candidate. He's not likely to make waves in the meeting rooms, he's not going to drive players away subversively, he's just a get-it-done guy. He's pretty easy to get along with as well. That's important.

Someone mentioned Warren as an option in that thread yesterday, and I have no reason to believe he's not a good choice. I don't know much about his pedigree so I can't give reasons pro or con on him.