More gems from the best OC in the game....

lo country

Funny Wisconsin replaced 9 guys on D from a year ago and they have the right guys for the system, make tackles, are in the right spots with a rookie DC. If Tim had a clue we would have put up 40 on those guys. What's more worrisome is what the hell is our D doing that we can't play D like they do? You can't tell me wisconsin has more talent on D.

Funny how we have had this conversation about our defense ever since Suh left. If I were to look at things in a big picture manner it would seem like Suh was the only reason the defensive scheme worked against good teams. The Huskers out talent lesser teams now, but refuse to see its the scheme holding them back from being competitive against better teams without him. And it seems like we have plenty of talent to field a good offense and even returned many key areas with experience but they act like they are learning everything new again every year. It all just baffles me these past few seasons.
defense was very solid in 2010 as well. Bos philosophy works against pass happy offenses. It still does. Look at tge numbers put by opposing teams even to this day. The problem is its so damn susceptible to teams with any sort of balance and/or qb run threat. Or in the case of wisconsin, well executed straight up power teams. And coincidentally the downward trend of the defense really took hold in 2011. Lot of us thought it was just overall lack of talent and personnel but its pretty clear now that aint the case.

Funny Wisconsin replaced 9 guys on D from a year ago and they have the right guys for the system, make tackles, are in the right spots with a rookie DC. If Tim had a clue we would have put up 40 on those guys. What's more worrisome is what the hell is our D doing that we can't play D like they do? You can't tell me wisconsin has more talent on D.

Funny how we have had this conversation about our defense ever since Suh left. If I were to look at things in a big picture manner it would seem like Suh was the only reason the defensive scheme worked against good teams. The Huskers out talent lesser teams now, but refuse to see its the scheme holding them back from being competitive against better teams without him. And it seems like we have plenty of talent to field a good offense and even returned many key areas with experience but they act like they are learning everything new again every year. It all just baffles me these past few seasons.
defense was very solid in 2010 as well. Bos philosophy works against pass happy offenses. It still does. Look at tge numbers put by opposing teams even to this day. The problem is its so damn susceptible to teams with any sort of balance and/or qb run threat. Or in the case of wisconsin, well executed straight up power teams. And coincidentally the downward trend of the defense really took hold in 2011. Lot of us thought it was just overall lack of talent and personnel but its pretty clear now that aint the case.

What kills me, is look at his time at LSU. 3 seasons with a top 3 defense. Even NU in 2009 (SUH), but what the hell happened to that Bo?

I mentioned Craig Bohl in another thread. Horrible DC (Frank) IMO, but has done a great job at NDSU. Anxious to see Wyoming. Bo, historically great DC, but HC lacking. Some guys are great with a single scope mission and not the "big picture" as mentioned by Bo in the presser. I really think Bo would excel as a DC, but he misses how all the parts come together. This is evidence to a degree in how NU has gone under Bo. No complete games, only flashes in quarters, TO's increase and penalties decrease, O sucks and D is good, ST sucks and O plays well etc.....Pieces and parts, but never the whole team for 4 quarters..........

Back on topic, Beck is not a good OC......

What kills me, is look at his time at LSU. 3 seasons with a top 3 defense. Even NU in 2009 (SUH), but what the hell happened to that Bo?

I mentioned Craig Bohl in another thread. Horrible DC (Frank) IMO, but has done a great job at NDSU. Anxious to see Wyoming. Bo, historically great DC, but HC lacking. Some guys are great with a single scope mission and not the "big picture" as mentioned by Bo in the presser. I really think Bo would excel as a DC, but he misses how all the parts come together. This is evidence to a degree in how NU has gone under Bo. No complete games, only flashes in quarters, TO's increase and penalties decrease, O sucks and D is good, ST sucks and O plays well etc.....Pieces and parts, but never the whole team for 4 quarters..........

yet Beck could be a good gead coach. That we dont know yet. This is the interesting dynamic that is such a big part of college football anymore.

Tim Beck saying his offense is proven over a long period of time (assuming he's including his time as Nebraska's offensive coordinator in his assessment) is probably the funniest thing I've heard all week.

I thought the same when I read that article. A "proven" system? Where has it been proven? When? Cobbling together a bunch of other coaches' random plays and then arbitrarily throwing them randomly at opponents does not constitute a "proven" system. The only thing our offense has "proven" is that it can't win any sort of championship or big game

A bad play, a bad game, or a bad season are all learning opportunities. The staff should be dissecting every play to determine why and improve. This staff prefers to ignore the results and then sees the exact same results. Wisky has killed us 3 times. This is ridiculous.

I didn't think it was possible for Wisconsin to BLAST us AGAIN the same way they did in that 2012 CCG, because I thought for sure Pelini would have spent many sleepless nights figuring out exactly what went wrong and how to stop it. But I was wrong. I guess Pelini doesn't have as much competitive self-respect as a football coach as I thought.

That Bo was a DC; this Bo is the head coach. I'm all for moving him back to DC and hiring a real head coach. I bet our defense would even improve.

Tim Beck saying his offense is proven over a long period of time (assuming he's including his time as Nebraska's offensive coordinator in his assessment) is probably the funniest thing I've heard all week.

I thought the same when I read that article. A "proven" system? Where has it been proven? When? Cobbling together a bunch of other coaches' random plays and then arbitrarily throwing them randomly at opponents does not constitute a "proven" system. The only thing our offense has "proven" is that it can't win any sort of championship or big game

Not to mention the juxtaposition between the hype and the results. In 2013, it was supposed to be the "Scoring Explosion" or whatever. This year it was supposed to be "Red Storm." Someone needs to teach these kids to talk with their play, not their mouths.

Not to mention the juxtaposition between the hype and the results. In 2013, it was supposed to be the "Scoring Explosion" or whatever. This year it was supposed to be "Red Storm." Someone needs to teach these kids to talk with their play, not their mouths.

Hell in a Helmet!!!

I couldn't believe that when I read it. Although the Offensive Linemen seemed proud of their motto, to me it seemed a perfect description of the total confusion Cotton just elucidated for us in his post-Wisconsin comments.

Hell in a helmet, indeed:

"You're just so dialed-in to what you're going to do during the play," [Cotton] said of Nebraska's five false-start penalties. "You gotta take this footwork, you gotta do this, you gotta do that. And so I think when you're thinking about all that stuff, you kind of get tunnel vision, and that's when it hurts you.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/article_4107c352-d400-5290-9579-cc0db383637a.html#.VG4KifTVkeI.twitter

IMO that was a prime era for Tampa 2, and people have moved on, sh#t moves fast these days

IMO that was a prime era for Tampa 2, and people have moved on, sh#t moves fast these days

The two current successful defensive trends in both pro and college ball are the "quarters" variant of cover 4 (most of them played out of a 4-3 or sometimes a 4-2-5/nickel formation) and an aggressive zone blitzing 3-4. I have been playing around with a scheme that combines the two, but I don't know enough about the linebackers responsibilities in the 3-4 system yet. I've been doing some research, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to talk to a coach who run a 3-4 system...

I think it could mesh pretty well. And I've never coached a day in my life. I just love the strategies behind football.

Here's the big question, if I could figure out a killer defensive scheme AND work out all the adjustments based on formation and tendencies, why can't Bo and his staff do the same?

I get a kick out of everyone saying Bo isn't a big picture guy....I mean isn't that the entire point of a HC? Hell he said himself he doesn't look at the big picture stuff...why are we paying this guy 3+ mil again?

This is the proverbial nail in the coffin. All stats, performances, etc aside. Bo just doesn't have the abilities to get all phases of the game in sync or make adjustments in the game. Have one series set to flow into the next.........

If you agree that Bo just doesn't have the abilities to be a HC, would new all world, home run assistance even make a difference if the HC can't pull it all together. Kind of like a dog sled. You need one "great" dog that pulls, leads and keeps the others in line. NU is like a team of sled dogs pulling in each direction. Because of certain scenarios, everything lines up and they go the same way and look "good". When things don't line up, you quickly see its not a team, but a collection of "dogs" pulling different ways...