National Media Reacts to Pelini's Firing

Saunders

Not as unanimous as expected...

Tom Luginbill

@TomLuginbill

Be careful Nebraska. In today's climate, 9-3 is what you are. Best of luck to Bo, coaches and families. Oh, and you better call Jerry Kill!!

David Pollack

@davidpollack47

Be careful what you wish for Nebraska fans. It's hard to find coaches that win at least 9 games a year.

Mitch Sherman

@mitchsherman

Bo Pelini is the first coach in the history of P5 program fired (for on-field performance) after winning more than 7 games in first 7 years.

Bruce Feldman

@BruceFeldmanCFB

With Bo Pelini done at #Nebraska, expect #Oregon OC Scott Frost to get a close look. Terrific off. coach & very well-liked by Tom Osborne

Tom Dienhart

@BTNTomDienhart

Will be interesting to see what direction Huskers go. As I recall, there wasn't a long line of top candidates the last time this gig opened.

Adam Rittenberg

@ESPNRittenberg

Nebraska fans always curious where their program ranks on the national ladder. The upcoming coach search will tell a lot

Adam Rittenberg

@ESPNRittenberg

Pelini’s firing inevitably will be compared to Solich’s, which set Nebraska back. But this is program that demands excellence. Didn’t get it

SPENCER HALL

@edsbs

Damn, Nebraska.

Brian Bennett

@BennettESPN

Will be a fascinating search for Nebraska. No real obvious candidates who are established head coaches.

Matt Brown

@MattSBN

Who is going to be dumb enough to take this Nebraska job?

Brian Bennett

@BennettESPN

And the next guy at Nebraska has to do better than nine wins per year to be an improvement. Good luck

Andy Staples

@Andy_Staples

Nebraska has to hire a guy who can win without five-stars. Because those guys tend to stick close to home. Got to be a great evaluator.

Tom Fornelli

@TomFornelli

Nebraska knows not what Nebraska is.

SPENCER HALL

@edsbs

You fire a guy after winning nine games, you're not demanding more. You're just sick of each other.

Andy Staples

@Andy_Staples

Nebraska can, however, get some really good tweener skill guys who can be just as good in college as the five-stars.

Dan Rubenstein

@DanRubenstein

@Andy_Staples Very good recent history of OL/DL to NFL that they can sell to 3/4* recruits.

Chris B. Brown

@smartfootball

@DanRubenstein @Andy_Staples they just seem to collapse on D a couple of times a year and the offense is Frankenstein's monster. Have talent

Stewart Mandel

@slmandel

It didn't start with Pelini, but given Nebraska's history, unacceptable the program has not won a conference title since 1999.

Andy Staples

Verified account

@Andy_Staples

The $64,000 question. RT @peterberkes: So, safe to say Pelini was never going to get Nebraska over the hump. But, uhhh, can anyone?

Andy Staples

@Andy_Staples

It feels like there are more names that would fit at Nebraska than at Florida or Michigan. Not sure why that is.

Joe Schad

@schadjoe

Some logical possible Nebraska candidates: Scott Frost, Jim McElwain, Jerry Kill, Pat Narduzzi, Craig Bohl

Pete Thamel

@SIPeteThamel

Names at Nebraska: Scott Frost, Pat Narduzzi, Justin Fuente, Tom Herman, Greg Schiano and Jerry Kill.

Brian Bennett

@BennettESPN

One question that needs to be answered at press conference: who coaches Nebraska in its bowl game?

Andy Staples

@Andy_Staples

Every time I bring up the option thing, Nebraska fans say “But then we won’t get big recruits on O.” That’s the best part. Don’t need them.

• Fire 1

I can tell you now I don't give a damn about this Bo is the only coach to win 9 a year and be fired conversation.

If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer only win 9 games a year for the next seven years, AND suffer the blowout losses Nebraska has suffered in some of those 4 loss seasons, then those coaches would be moving on in one way or another.

It's all about what you settle for. There's no reason Nebraska needs to suddenly consider themselves a lesser to any other elite program. We have everything here we need to be successful aside from the coaches to take us there.

Nebraska is an opportunity for any coach who wants to be a part of something great and has the vision and ability to put it on turf.

• Fire 7

I can tell you now I don't give a damn about this Bo is the only coach to win 9 a year and be fired conversation.

If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer only win 9 games a year for the next seven years, AND suffer the blowout losses Nebraska has suffered in some of those 4 loss seasons, then those coaches would be moving on in one way or another.

It's all about what you settle for. There's no reason Nebraska needs to suddenly consider themselves a lesser to any other elite program. We have everything here we need to be successful aside from the coaches to take us there.

Nebraska is an opportunity for any coach who wants to be a part of something great and has the vision and ability to put it on turf.

Completely agree. But it appears we're getting killed by the national media. That's not what was expected.

I love how they basically say firing a nine win coach is a bad thing, and allude to all the bad possibilities.

But then when asked if Florida or Michigan might be a place for Bo, they said those schools would want someone with a better history of success.

So apparently he was good enough for Nebraska, but not for those others.

• Fire 3

You may not give a damn but potential replacements may. They are the ones who'd be leaving their job and uprooting their family to potentially put their career on the line. I certainly hope we get somebody great but it wouldn't surprise me if some guys look at the situation and take a pass. Making a move last year would have made more sense.

Completely agree. But it appears we're getting killed by the national media. That's not what was expected.

Considering most of these guys have spent the better part of the last month writing about how Nebraska should be moving on it's kind of shocking. The real reason behind the firing wasn't the wins/losses - it's statements like the first tweet "in today's climate, 9-3 is what you are" that is the reasoning. Nebraska, nationally, has no become nothing more than a middle of the pack P5 team. That's why he's gone.