National Media Reacts to Pelini's Firing

Saunders

Adam Rittenberg

@ESPNRittenberg

Talked to Power 5 coach about Pelini firing. Called it “crazy profession.”

Adam Rittenberg

@ESPNRittenberg

Hard part about Husker search is that some of better candidates are coordinators w/ no HC experience. Would Huskers go down that road again?

Adam Rittenberg

@ESPNRittenberg

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nebraska looks within the Big Ten. Eichorst a Big Ten guy. Think Jerry Kill would be excellent hire in Lincoln.

Brett McMurphy

@McMurphyESPN

Only coaches w/at least 9 wins each of last 7 seasons: Nick Saban & Bo Pelini

Max Olson

@max_olson

Bo Pelini went 26-25 against opponents that finished with winning records. 40-2 against .500 or worse.

Tom Fornelli

@TomFornelli

Nebraska almost has to hire a coordinator. I just don’t think any head coach is going to want to leave his current situation for it.

I can tell you now I don't give a damn about this Bo is the only coach to win 9 a year and be fired conversation.

If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer only win 9 games a year for the next seven years, AND suffer the blowout losses Nebraska has suffered in some of those 4 loss seasons, then those coaches would be moving on in one way or another.

It's all about what you settle for. There's no reason Nebraska needs to suddenly consider themselves a lesser to any other elite program. We have everything here we need to be successful aside from the coaches to take us there.

Nebraska is an opportunity for any coach who wants to be a part of something great and has the vision and ability to put it on turf.

Completely agree. But it appears we're getting killed by the national media. That's not what was expected.

A lot of these are reaction comments made by people that mostly look at paper results. It's just a subject to chirp about. I'm not paying attention to them and what they have to tweet about. The right thing to do was done. For the time being of getting killed by the national media, it will pass.

Nebraska isn't totally insane for firing Bo Pelini. Seven seasons of Pelini at the helm yielded no conference championships in either the Big 12 or the Big Ten, a losing record against ranked teams, and an unofficial residence in Orlando as the designated 9-3 or 8-4 team bound for the Capital One bowl. (Most likely against Georgia.) (No one ever needs to see a Georgia/Nebraska bowl game ever again.)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/30/7309695/bo-pelini-fired-nebraska-stagnant-rut

They all just ignore the attention they gave to Bo's tirades and his 5-19 record against ranked teams. Alright.

That's because they're not as big of a deal and as overblown as many here make then out to be.

I'm not shocked that this is the national perception, even with all the BS being spread around here that the national media allegedly was calling for Bo's head.

Feels like 2003 all over again. Be careful for what you wish.

I can tell you now I don't give a damn about this Bo is the only coach to win 9 a year and be fired conversation.

If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer only win 9 games a year for the next seven years, AND suffer the blowout losses Nebraska has suffered in some of those 4 loss seasons, then those coaches would be moving on in one way or another.

It's all about what you settle for. There's no reason Nebraska needs to suddenly consider themselves a lesser to any other elite program. We have everything here we need to be successful aside from the coaches to take us there.

Nebraska is an opportunity for any coach who wants to be a part of something great and has the vision and ability to put it on turf.

Completely agree. But it appears we're getting killed by the national media. That's not what was expected.

No we aren't. The NFL is happening, and no one cares.

That's why it happened today.

c3317ba9d01533c145d6b63879da78bd.gif

Why Nebraska's surprise firing of Bo Pelini is good for the Big Ten

If I’m Jim Delany, I like the move Nebraska made Sunday to fire Bo Pelini.

Not because a man losing his job is something to celebrate. Not because Pelini deserves any piling on. Those are not reasons for the Big Ten commissioner to approve of Nebraska’s somewhat surprising move.

The reason to like it is because it signals that one of the most traditionally successful schools in the conference is serious about getting back to winning championships and being a top-10 football program.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-nebraska-s-surprise-firing-of-bo-pelini-is-good-for-the-big-ten-191005106-ncaaf.html

• Fire 1

Sorry, but the posted evidence proves it's not the unanimous foregone conclusion some thought.

Ultimately, it was the right move. But let's not pretend it was something everyone nationally thought was necessary.

Sorry, but the posted evidence proves it's not the unanimous foregone conclusion some thought.

Ultimately, it was the right move. But let's not pretend it was something everyone nationally thought was necessary.

Just so long as I don't have to pretend to care.

This is good for. Nebraska and I trust Eichorst. Especially after what I just watched in his presser. That was the best presser about Nebraska football in 7 years.

I don't know the reporter Eric Olson's history, but this was how the AP wrote the story. Their job is to report it straight down the middle, having researched both sides of the story. This account seems extremely fair, and does not seem to begrudge the fanbase or University for moving on, nor does it unfarily depict Pelini's tenure. This is what it is.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Bo Pelini was fired as Nebraska's football coach on Sunday after a seven-year stint marked by an inability to restore the program to national prominence and too many embarrassing defeats.

Pelini extended his streak of winning at least nine games every season with a 37-34 overtime win at Iowa on Friday but he never won a conference championship and his teams lost four games in every season he completed.

Pelini was 66-27 and led the Cornhuskers to three league championship games in the Big 12 and Big Ten.

"Earlier this morning I informed Coach Bo Pelini of our decision to move forward in a new direction," athletic director Shawn Eichorst said in a statement. "Coach Pelini served our University admirably for seven years and led our football program's transition to the Big Ten Conference."

Eichorst will hold an afternoon news conference.

Asked for comment, Pelini wrote in a text to The Associated Press, "I'm good. Thanks for asking!"

Quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. tweeted, "Biggest mistake you ever made.... Bo was the best coach I've ever had and I'll always appreciate the things you taught me."

Associate head coach Barney Cotton, a Nebraska alum, will be the interim head coach for the Cornhuskers' bowl game.

Pelini was under contract through February 2019. The university will owe him a settlement of about $7.5 million, which can be reduced by a certain amount once he lands another job.

FILE - In a Monday, Nov. 24, 2014 file photo, Nebraska NCAA college football head coach Bo Pelini sp …

Pelini brought the Huskers out of the depths of the failed four-year Bill Callahan experiment that ended in 2007, his four-losses-a-year habit and frequent bad losses on the national stage wore on a fan base that has filled Memorial Stadium for every home game since 1962.

Those fans have been conditioned to expect excellence. Nebraska ranks fourth in all-time victories and has won five national championships, including three in the four years before Tom Osborne retired as coach after the 1997 season.

The dominant run of success in the mid-1990s has been an albatross for the coaches who followed — first Frank Solich and then Callahan and Pelini.

Bad losses started to haunt Pelini after Nebraska moved to the Big Ten, and they became the program's identity. There was the 70-31 beatdown by unranked Wisconsin in the 2012 conference championship game, and last year there were one-sided losses to UCLA, Minnesota and Iowa.

Pelini's undoing might have been the 59-24 loss at Wisconsin on Nov. 15 when Melvin Gordon ran for a then-FBS record 408 yards. The next week the Huskers squandered a 14-point halftime lead at home while losing 28-24 to then-unranked Minnesota.

Nebraska, as a ranked team, lost seven games by 17 or more points since 2011. No other ranked team has lost so many games so lopsidedly over that span, according to STATS.

"I fully support Shawn's decision to make a change in the leadership of our football program, and wish Bo and his family all of the best," chancellor Harvey Perlman said. "I am confident that Shawn will find the best coach, teacher and fit for this university and for our football program."

Pelini, criticized for a defensive scheme that couldn't seem to stop the run, also drew detractors for his volatile temper.

He also was reprimanded by Perlman for sideline meltdowns where he ripped into officials and quarterback Taylor Martinez during a loss at Texas A&M in 2010. After cameras in 2012 captured a couple of Pelini tongue-lashings, Perlman said the coach was a "victim of his reputation" and that "within reason (fans) have to accept him for who he is."

Last year, though, Perlman and Eichorst had to put out a fire after the website Deadspin released audio of Pelini's profanity-laced tirade against what he called fair-weather fans and two newspaper writers.

Pelini had initially endeared himself to Nebraska fans when he served as Solich's defensive coordinator in 2003. Pelini was interim head coach after Solich was fired in 2003 after going 9-3 in the regular season, and he was in charge for the Huskers' Alamo Bowl victory over Michigan State. As he walked off the field in San Antonio, Husker fans chanted, "We want Bo!"

Callahan was hired instead, and Pelini took defensive coordinator jobs at Oklahoma and LSU, winning the 2007 national title with the Tigers.

Osborne, as athletic director, picked Pelini to replace Callahan, saying the program needed an immediate defensive fix.

After the Huskers shut out Arizona 33-0 in the 2009 Holiday Bowl, Pelini famously shouted, "Nebraska's back and we're here to stay."

Pelini's proclamation proved premature.