Our next head coach may be coaching in a CCG next week

So, you're only going to get excited about a coach that has won NCs before? If so, that list is extremely short.

I'd be excited about McElwain, but working for Saban and 1 good season at CSU doesn't constitute "proof" that he is going to be a successful coach here. He might be, he might not. I'd feel a lot better about a few other guys getting us over the hump.

And honestly, I'm more interested in the guys he's going to bring with him than the HC himself. Would you feel good with CSU's entire staff? Because you'll likely be getting most of them w/ a change. Anyone cared to look into them? Probably not. But those are they guys you'll all be bitching about a year from now.

Hahahaha! Any season in which CSU wins more than they lose is a good season in Fort Collins.

*Edit* Why wouldn't we want him to bring his staff with him? That staff just helped him turn around a perpetual loser.

Hahahaha! Any season in which CSU wins more than they lose is a good season in Fort Collins.

It's a good season in a lot of places. Kenny Bell will tell you it's a great season in Boulder, and should be enough for Nebraska - but it obviously isn't enough or we wouldn't be having this discussion. CSU's expectations for their program in no way influence mine for the Huskers. I wish I could say the same for some of our players.

*Edit* Why wouldn't we want him to bring his staff with him? That staff just helped him turn around a perpetual loser.

It's certainly an experienced staff - with plenty of years at Fresno St, Greeley, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah State, Cal Poly and Arizona State under their belts. But ,only a couple have every spent more than a year or two at a P5 school, another the last 12 years in the NFL. These aren't a bunch of recruiting powerhouses. It's a different game at Nebraska. And it's a world dominated by recruiting. "I spent 14 years in Greeley, Colorado, then another 9 at Wyoming" isn't exactly the line that leads a 4* southern recruit to flock to Nebraska.

This guy has some recruiting connections I'm sure, lot of talent here....

• With the exception of one year, his freshman season as an Idaho State player, has spent his entire football life on the Front Range, between Denver and Laramie.

It's certainly an experienced staff - with plenty of years at Fresno St, Greeley, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah State, Cal Poly and Arizona State under their belts. But ,only a couple have every spent more than a year or two at a P5 school, another the last 12 years in the NFL. These aren't a bunch of recruiting powerhouses. It's a different game at Nebraska. And it's a world dominated by recruiting. "I spent 14 years in Greeley, Colorado, then another 9 at Wyoming" isn't exactly the line that leads a 4* southern recruit to flock to Nebraska.

• With the exception of one year, his freshman season as an Idaho State player, has spent his entire football life on the Front Range, between Denver and Laramie.

We're still talking about Jim McElwain right? Reason I ask is that McElwain played for Eastern Washington, coached at Montana St., University of Louisville, MSU, He also coached for the Raiders for one year before going to Fresno St. After that he went to Alabama as Saban's OC. After 3 years at Alabama he was offered his current job at CSU.

Last time I checked a map, the only one of those places is between Denver and Laramie.

We're still talking about Jim McElwain right? Reason I ask is that McElwain played for Eastern Washington, coached at Montana St., University of Louisville, MSU, He also coached for the Raiders for one year before going to Fresno St. After that he went to Alabama as Saban's OC. After 3 years at Alabama he was offered his current job at CSU.

Last time I checked a map, the only one of those places is between Denver and Laramie.

We're talking about the staff that he is going to bring along (hence the quoted response/question of yours). Those 9 guys that actually matter on the recruiting trail...and on Saturdays. The 9 guys that power the ship. He could be the greatest HC out there, but those 9 and the recruits they can bring in are what matter at the end of the day. To be fair, it's the same reason I have concerns about Frost. But at least with Frost he's going searching, not pilfering Oregon. McElwain would likely just transition most of his staff.

McElwain also comes with a hefty, hefty buyout...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/11/30/memo-dart-throwers-heres-jim-mcelwains-initial-7-5-million-buyout/32688/

d. Termination by McElwain. At all times during the Term, McElwain shall have the right to terminate this Agreement, without cause, at any time upon prior written notice to the University, except that McElwain shall not, without good cause (such as would be cause for termination for breach by the University), give his notice of termination that is to take effect between July 1 and the last regular season game of the then-current CSU football season. If such notice is given during the foregoing time frame, the termination effective date shall be determined at the sole discretion of the Director, but not event later than the final game (to include any post-season bowl game) of that season.

In the event that McElwain so terminates this Agreement during the Term, because the Parties agree that the harm to the University cannot otherwise be reasonably calculated, McElwain shall pay to the University as liquidated damages, the following amounts (referred to as “Liquidated Damages”)

(i) If such termination occurs on or before December 31, 2018, the Liquidated Damages shall be the greater of: (1) $7,500,000; or (2) an amount equal to McElwain’s total remaining Base Salary (as set forth in Section 4.a. herein and as of the date of termination) for all years and months remaining from the termination date until the Contract Ending Date (as defined in Section 1 herein); or

(ii) If such termination occurs after December 31, 2018, the Liquidated Damages shall be an amount equal to McElwain’s total remaining Base Salary (as set forth in Section 4.a. herein and as of the date of termination) for all years and months remaining from the termination date until the Contract Ending Date (as defined in Section 1 herein);

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/11/30/memo-dart-throwers-heres-jim-mcelwains-initial-7-5-million-buyout/32688/

d. Termination by McElwain. At all times during the Term, McElwain shall have the right to terminate this Agreement, without cause, at any time upon prior written notice to the University, except that McElwain shall not, without good cause (such as would be cause for termination for breach by the University), give his notice of termination that is to take effect between July 1 and the last regular season game of the then-current CSU football season. If such notice is given during the foregoing time frame, the termination effective date shall be determined at the sole discretion of the Director, but not event later than the final game (to include any post-season bowl game) of that season.

In the event that McElwain so terminates this Agreement during the Term, because the Parties agree that the harm to the University cannot otherwise be reasonably calculated, McElwain shall pay to the University as liquidated damages, the following amounts (referred to as “Liquidated Damages”)

(i) If such termination occurs on or before December 31, 2018, the Liquidated Damages shall be the greater of: (1) $7,500,000; or (2) an amount equal to McElwain’s total remaining Base Salary (as set forth in Section 4.a. herein and as of the date of termination) for all years and months remaining from the termination date until the Contract Ending Date (as defined in Section 1 herein); or

(ii) If such termination occurs after December 31, 2018, the Liquidated Damages shall be an amount equal to McElwain’s total remaining Base Salary (as set forth in Section 4.a. herein and as of the date of termination) for all years and months remaining from the termination date until the Contract Ending Date (as defined in Section 1 herein);

That he does. Firing Bo came with a hefty buyout also.

We're talking about the staff that he is going to bring along (hence the quoted response/question of yours). Those 9 guys that actually matter on the recruiting trail...and on Saturdays. The 9 guys that power the ship. He could be the greatest HC out there, but those 9 and the recruits they can bring in are what matter at the end of the day. To be fair, it's the same reason I have concerns about Frost. But at least with Frost he's going searching, not pilfering Oregon. McElwain would likely just transition most of his staff.

Well, I have no idea who you were talking about then because you don't mention a single name in that post.

Someone mentioned earlier that no would come in and try to rebuild this program from the ground up. Well that has been already tried with the previous staff and mostly by Steve Pedersen. And yeah it didn't work, and not just because we sucked but because he turned away from what made NU what they were. Nebraska's program doesn't need to be changed completely it just needs to be woke up.

Georgia Tech fans are worried Paul Johnson to Nebraska. I'm leaning towards more of a splash hire but I would not mind getting someone who has "beaten" top tier teams during his career. Not sure Johnson is that guy but here's some minor discussion about it.

http://georgiatech.scout.com/forums/2938-hive-sports-center/13425727-would-nebraska-make-a-run-at-paul-johnson?s=140

That he does. Firing Bo came with a hefty buyout also.

i mean we should be able to put up 100 million if we have to, lol. I mean I'm kind of serious. I think we are at a point where we need something good and even if it puts us in the red it will keep us in the black long term

Georgia Tech fans are worried Paul Johnson to Nebraska. I'm leaning towards more of a splash hire but I would not mind getting someone who has "beaten" top tier teams during his career. Not sure Johnson is that guy but here's some minor discussion about it.

http://georgiatech.scout.com/forums/2938-hive-sports-center/13425727-would-nebraska-make-a-run-at-paul-johnson?s=140

I would be pretty disappointed if it was Paul Johnson.

I would be pretty disappointed if it was Paul Johnson.

Today Danny Kannel was saying that GT has a very good chance of beating FSU. That would be a pretty big splash. They were also saying that Nebraska is third behind Florida and Michigan as the place for a new HC to go. I'd add that if any coaches from warm weather schools leave they might be considered before NE too. Might just as well throw Texas into the arena, who knows what might happen with Strong.

T_O_B