The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

At least this guy has college HC experience.

Michigan. Rich rod and Brady Hoke.

Doesn't mean it will translate.

Rich Rod's playing in a game right now.

I'm starting to come around on Riley. We at least got to give the man a chance. Maybe this is the perfect fit for him.

Truth be known, i was beside myself when he was announced. After the fire died and i got a full 24 hours worth of the media and coaches speaking and the sunshine from the fans, i was warming to the idea of this guy.

Then i went outside Husker nation, and people were mocking this hire. I went back and looked into some things, which is when i got the feeling of 2003~2004 over again.

Am AD brought in with the specific task of axing the current successful head coach with whom the chancellor disproved......check

Failed NFL coach.....check

Pro style offense......check

Total outsider who has a calm demeanor......check

Hire praised by media and press alike (pedeyshine) even though their records don't reflect it......check

Putting together a staff of supposed top notch recruiters.......check

Yeah, I've seen this movie before.

Sure we have to give him a chance, but history doesn't favor success here

For me, the difference maker is that I have a college HC record to work with, and, for Oregon State, it's not bad. Winningest coach in their history. I looked at the records. A blowout here or there against them, but, generally, they have been very competitive with good teams, both away and at home.

But we weren't bad before the change of coaches. I was hoping for better, we were sold the home run hire. If we were going to make a change, make it for something better, that's all.

Not an intentional walk.

Please let that be all. You've been pretty persistent about it. Your last thread here states your thoughts. Why keep repeating yourself over and over? Never mind I don't really want to know.

First presser, you could tell he was a bit nervous and rightfully so. Seems like a nice guy so he gets a pass for coming off like Painfully Awkward Rob Lowe.

A few suggestions... despite what he may have read in a brochure, he needs recognize DONU as less Mayberry and more Terminus. Even nice guys can get eaten alive here. ex. Doc Sadler.

Ixnay on the illBay allahanCay.... dropping his name might have gone over well in the interview with Perlman but in the rest of the state it's a surefire way to guarantee a high percentage of spit in any food or drink you don't prepare yourself.

Open practices...might hold off for a year till you get the lay of the land. That way you avoid "Black Friday"-type crowds and mayhem and you won't look like a meanie for having to close them down to actually get something done.

If you are serious about looking at retaining any of this staff, do it now and get them out on the road before the dead period. Salvage what you can of the class and avoid a bubble down the road.

And lastly, if you find the opportunity to accidently refer to Dirk Chatlain as "Dork" you'll earn support from unforeseen segments of the fanbase and promote the healing process. :thumbs

Im sorry but f#*k this.

Bill Callahan happened. He coached Nebraska for four years. He had two wretched years and two other ones where this board went gaga for by about a 70/30 margin. We believed in Bill Callahan.

Acting like he's some bogeyman that we can't mention means we will never move on , move past and accept/learn from our mistakes.

Riley is a football mind,he's our coach, he accepts us for our glory and our faults that's what he meant when he referenced BC.

Jesus, enough. It was 7 years ago and we hired Bo as a result. Not exactly the cleanest fix.

We will never move on if we don't acknowledge our past mistakes. And I feel Riley/Eichorst know this. We should too

Agreed. If you believe people learn more from failure than success, I'd say Riley talking to Callahan and hearing Callahan's thoughts about what he would have done differently is not be a bad thing.

am i wrong here, but isn't callahan pretty respected in the nfl? at least as a position coach?

No you're not wrong. He's a very good offensive mind

that was my impression. and i always thought he was known as an incredible o-line coach.
His offensive line right now is as good as any in the league. Granted, he has 3 young 1st rounders to work with (one of whom is probably the real rookie of the year), but still.