The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

am i wrong here, but isn't callahan pretty respected in the nfl? at least as a position coach?

No you're not wrong. He's a very good offensive mind

that was my impression. and i always thought he was known as an incredible o-line coach.

As I recall, our offenses weren't particularly horrible when he was here.

Just that the defense was so awful that it was unbelievable.

am i wrong here, but isn't callahan pretty respected in the nfl? at least as a position coach?

that was my impression. and i always thought he was known as an incredible o-line coach.

Actually, the,offensives weren't that good if you go back and watch them, by and large.

This is actually one of the reasons why I see the new guy being Billy C.V.2.

"Well respected" and words of praise being used liberally after the hire, yet his record doesnt suggest that he has the chops to back it up, just like Bill.

Actually, the,offensives weren't that good if you go back and watch them, by and large.

This is actually one of the reasons why I see the new guy being Billy C.V.2.

"Well respected" and words of praise being used liberally after the hire, yet his record doesnt suggest that he has the chops to back it up, just like Bill.

Like I said, not particularly horrible. Doesn't mean they were stellar by any means. But, my mind is also a little foggy, I try to forget those years.

At least this guy has college HC experience.

These are just my raw emotions. Please, don't flame.

I feel like Eichorst just hired a guy that is un-fireable due to his niceness. Like, he's fire-proof.

This feels like an admission that domination on the field is a thing of the past, and the only thing left to cling to is some kind of ethereal spirit of Tom Osborne's "niceness." It was like Riley forced himself to say "...and win championships, too" in the presser.

For the record, Mike - The booster illuminati will eat you alive, one way or the other. <---Those are not MY feelings towards Mike, but is the reality of the situation if he doesn't win conference titles.

I think he is stepping into a pretty difficult situation. We fired a guy who won 9+ games each year and had people on both sides of the issue. The Callahan/Pelini transition went much easier because almost everyone was done with BC. This transition will be a little tougher because there were still strong supporters of Bo....perception.

The hire was nothing anyone thought so of course people are going to be nervous about this hire.

The more I keep reading and hearing about this cat, I am pretty excited. I have to disagree with you that he will be eaten alive by the illuminati. The players will back this dude and he will bring in some solid coaches....I really hope!

Stay the course my man!!!

I dont think there were that many Bo supporters left. Whats going to make this transition difficult is the hire itself. We would all be singing a different tune had we landed a proven winner. We got the exact opposite and now everyone is "hoping" what we did is right. "Hope" is not a strategy (unless you are running for president). By making this hire the pressure cooker just got hotter for the simple fact that this guy is coming into an environment now were people are already skeptical. At the first sign of trouble this thing is going to turn on its head. Had we hired a proven winner that would not be the case.

Again, I hope I am wrong.

But you're making the assertion that Mike Riley isn't a proven winner. Given the significant disadvantages Oregon State faced in the Pac-12--probably the less talented team when compared to all but 2 or 3 teams (Wazzu, Colorado, maybe Utah), 93-80 is pretty solid, and a record I don't believe BP could have achieved. Mike is now the head coach at Nebraska, a team that talent wise, is probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference (Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State) but coaching wise probably had one of the worst staffs in the conference.

It is within reason to assume that Mike will come in here and win. He has all the intangibles and now has the resources.

I am making the assertion Mike Riley isnt a proven winner based on his record of past performance. You are making the assertion he is a winner by including a bunch of excuses in order to arrive at the hope he will do well. All I'm saying is we are at a point in this programs history where taking an unkown was not a wise decision.

I hope I'm wrong.

Gary Anderson is coaching the Wisconsin Badgers Football Team in his second season.

He was second in the Leaders Division last season.

He's playing for a conference championship his second season.

If we're talking about past performance......by your argument, he should be exempt from that job, right?

4-7

4-8

4-8

7-6

11-2

That was his coaching record before coming to Madison. Even with his two seasons as Bucky's head guy, he's still only won a little more than half his games coached.

Give the guy a chance. If he gets the right staff in place, he'll do just fine.

Hiya coach!

Michigan. Rich rod and Brady Hoke.

Doesn't mean it will translate.

Rich Rod's playing in a game right now.

I'm starting to come around on Riley. We at least got to give the man a chance. Maybe this is the perfect fit for him.

Truth be known, i was beside myself when he was announced. After the fire died and i got a full 24 hours worth of the media and coaches speaking and the sunshine from the fans, i was warming to the idea of this guy.

Then i went outside Husker nation, and people were mocking this hire. I went back and looked into some things, which is when i got the feeling of 2003~2004 over again.

Am AD brought in with the specific task of axing the current successful head coach with whom the chancellor disproved......check

Failed NFL coach.....check

Pro style offense......check

Total outsider who has a calm demeanor......check

Hire praised by media and press alike (pedeyshine) even though their records don't reflect it......check

Putting together a staff of supposed top notch recruiters.......check

Yeah, I've seen this movie before.

Sure we have to give him a chance, but history doesn't favor success here

I'm starting to come around on Riley. We at least got to give the man a chance. Maybe this is the perfect fit for him.

Truth be known, i was beside myself when he was announced. After the fire died and i got a full 24 hours worth of the media and coaches speaking and the sunshine from the fans, i was warming to the idea of this guy.

Then i went outside Husker nation, and people were mocking this hire. I went back and looked into some things, which is when i got the feeling of 2003~2004 over again.

Am AD brought in with the specific task of axing the current successful head coach with whom the chancellor disproved......check

Hire praised by media and press alike (pedeyshine) even though their records don't reflect it......check

For me, the difference maker is that I have a college HC record to work with, and, for Oregon State, it's not bad. Winningest coach in their history. I looked at the records. A blowout here or there against them, but, generally, they have been very competitive with good teams, both away and at home.

I would like to see some evidence besides OSU fans. THX

Jon Miller,, Iowa guy.

I would like to see some evidence besides OSU fans. THX

Jon Miller,, Iowa guy.

LOL...

For me, the difference maker is that I have a college HC record to work with, and, for Oregon State, it's not bad. Winningest coach in their history. I looked at the records. A blowout here or there against them, but, generally, they have been very competitive with good teams, both away and at home.

But we weren't bad before the change of coaches. I was hoping for better, we were sold the home run hire. If we were going to make a change, make it for something better, that's all.

Not an intentional walk.