Recruiting & Barney

Since Barney is coaching the bowl, Riley can start recruiting immediately. This should help a great deal, but Riley needs to recruit a staff as well as players. Do you expect a better or worse class than Bo would have had? I expect slightly better. The players loved Bo, but I think we missed a lot of players because of Bo's sideline behavior. I assume opposing coaching had video to show every player Nebraska targeted.

I think, like Bo's recruiting classes typically were, this'll require a strong finish from the new staff, which has the additional challenge of shoring up existing commitments. Bo's recruiting team often turned in big efforts in the closing months after the season and before signing day.

Fortunately this might be a small class and some of the key pieces -- Bussey, Morgan -- are either staying or appear interested in staying. Attrition might raise the demands.

i just have this terrible sinking feeling that somehow Barney is going to be retained

How am I supposed to get any sleep now?

Yeah, that is a scary thought

As far as recruiting classes go, I could see it going either way. If I had to guess I'm thinking worse just from the extra effort to retain kids, the short window he's working with plus putting together a staff.

The good news is that I'm wrong a lot.

It depends on who is brought in as coaches. If NU can keep the commits we already have, we're halfway home. It's a little late in the game to land a knockout class from scratch, but I think the new staff should be able to get about what Pelini would have- assuming we can keep the current commits.

I'm not sure how I feel about Cotton being retained. I was thinking I wouldn't mind Ron Brown staying on as the Special Teams coordinator. I think he would be a good guy to keep, assuming he's interested in staying.