A Little Venting On Riley Hire

ajt1970

Would Oregon State be comparable to say Indiana or Iowa State?

No because they are in the Big10 and like almost every Big10 school - real stadiums and support.

I really can't explain this to people...everyone loves talking about K-State and how they were so bad and Snyder turned them around.

Oregon State had one winning season in 30 years. They played in a high school stadium. The town looks like Mayberry and rains all the time. They couldn't get black athletes to go up there. (never-mind that Oregon and Indiana are brothers in arms with bad racial KKK history - look at Oregon's history and original constitution...scary racist language.)

Coaching at OSU was like Siberia...University of Oregon was just as bad in their history...but then they got Nike money and turned their facilities into the Death Star...Oregon State has had none of that. It's still a glorified farming college.

As much as I like Frost -- and I really have become a fan of his since the last time his name came up in a Husker coaching search -- I think Riley is a far better choice.

This would be Scott's first attempt at building a college staff. He's played for Bill Walsh and coached at a couple places, yes, but he's basically come up through the ranks at Oregon rather quickly. As much as I do think he'd succeed at anything he does, it would be tough to really succeed at the highest level on your first try. I'd rather see him go a couple of other places, cut his teeth in the coaching profession, learn some lessons in losing at a smaller time school...and emerge in six or seven or eight years as a guy with much more contacts and much more experience.

I think Riley's widespread respect among his peers really says it all about him. There are probably better coaches, but not much better. And better fits? I doubt it. I feel we are very, very fortunate to live in an era where we can call Tim Miles and Mike Riley our head MBB and FB coaches.

Most of the schools you compared to OSU are not comparable to OSU.

Baylor/TCU? Not even close. They're in one of the top 3 states for number of top recruits. I'm not saying turning them around is not impressive but they're nothing like OSU.

Boise State? Let's go back 5 years ago and put them in the Pac-10.

Missouri is close to 3 really good recruiting states.

About the only school I'll give you is KSU and you're talking about an anomaly of a coach. If you think we should've landed a coach like Snyder, about our only hope was actually hiring Snyder.

• Fire 1

Am I the only one who likes a good passing game?

I think the problem has been Nebraska's passing game, not a passing game in general. When you try slinging the ball around with Martinez or Armstrong and an O line that is struggling, that will sour a lot of people very quickly. I'm old school Nebraska, I prefer a run first power game. But, if Riley can make us better at the passing game and if he stops our tendency of cramming square pegs in round holes, maybe some of us can evolve to appreciating a good passing attack more.

I think that nails it. +1 It's been going on for a long time and I don't know if it's better/easier to mold the peg or shape the hole anymore. Maybe Riley & Staff can do both? :dunno

My issues with the Riley hire.....

- It has been mentioned repeatedly in the press that Riley did more with less at OSU. That he had little resources but was an overachiever in recruiting, developing talent, etc. But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year! No excuses, these non-powerhouses-at-one-time schools hired the right people and MADE themselves into winners, even without vast resources. So I cannot buy into the fact that OSU did not, and could not obtain, the resources to win. Especially since Riley was there over a longer period of time, plenty of time to at least get the ball rolling. Does anyone really think TCU had the resources a decade or two ago? I doubt it. They hired the right coach and made no excuses and won, period. Look at Bill Snyder when he first got there....KSU was pathetic! Many a program has been turned around with the right coach. So I am not buying it when it is said Riley could not win championships at OSU due to lack of resources. Winners get it done.

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didn’t get it done and most couldn’t wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (don’t get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

- Riley’s Offense – Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NU’s offense in the 80’s and 90’s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs weren’t prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. It’s 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Riley’s offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna don’t-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

- Don’t get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelini’s dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a “nice guy” Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the media’s jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally don’t see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years we’ll be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesn’t cut it anymore.

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel.

Anyways, that’s it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. We’ll see.

Exactly, Perlman reads his emails that boosters will not donate if Bo is still coach , so he goes and gets the nicest coach in the country who has a knack for developing walkons and diamonds in the rough. With all the bluster Alvarez Jr. made about having the resources, I thought for sure we'd bring in a known professional with the ability to bring in top recruits on name recognition alone. Getting Frost as OC is intriguing because of his history here and might help some doubters buy in to this hire, but there is no guarantee that Scott is anything special outside of the Oregon environment full of Jimmys and Joes. Still, I'm all for giving Frost a shot because of the kind of guy he is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Riley....the whole thing is just a headscratcher and the local media propaganda campaign hasn't done anything but make me think this is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

• Fire 1

The AD did say at the presser he was not concerned what the fan base opinion were on the new hire, if I recall correctly. They have their man, AD and Harvey that is, plus the regents. I do understand your concerns ajt1970 and not sold either at this point. Looking at Michigan hire of Brady Hoke as a nice HC, a nice guy. I feel we may be in that position down the road ourselves, unless Riley proves me wrong. Mostly I feel how this search took place and how fast it took combined what the AD comments made me even more resentful towards the admin. Did the AD and company lay an egg?!

Welcome to the board.

4951144131_498f19179f_o.gif

Most of the schools you compared to OSU are not comparable to OSU.

Baylor/TCU? Not even close. They're in one of the top 3 states for number of top recruits. I'm not saying turning them around is not impressive but they're nothing like OSU.

Boise State? Let's go back 5 years ago and put them in the Pac-10.

Missouri is close to 3 really good recruiting states.

About the only school I'll give you is KSU and you're talking about an anomaly of a coach. If you think we should've landed a coach like Snyder, about our only hope was actually hiring Snyder.

The great thing about Riley is he is used to going afar to get talent. He has great ties to California (which Nebraska needs) and he has been recruiting in Texas of late (but with the Oregon State brand and not Nebraska)

In terms of NFL talent...breakdown by State...

Oregon ranks 32nd...Nebraska is 34. Only Utah was behind Oregon in dearth of talent in Pac-12 recruiting. So Riley (without Nike money) was behind the 8-ball. Because while Nebraska doesn't produce a lot of home grown talent - at least it has the brand name and history...Oregon State had none of that...in fact, they had a very poor negative history.

So this will be nothing new to him...but now he gets the Nebraska brand name behind his recruiting efforts when he goes into Texas and Cali.

And Boise State thought they were Pac-12 quality but they weren't. In Oregon State's really down years they beat them once or twice...but overall...Boise couldn't hang week in and week out. They would get up for a game against the Pac and then lose to Nevada.

The AD did say at the presser he was not concerned what the fan base opinion were on the new hire, if I recall correctly. They have their man, AD and Harvey that is, plus the regents. I do understand your concerns ajt1970 and not sold either at this point. Looking at Michigan hire of Brady Hoke as a nice HC, a nice guy. I feel we may be in that position down the road ourselves, unless Riley proves me wrong. Mostly I feel how this search took place and how fast it took combined what the AD comments made me even more resentful towards the admin. Did the AD and company lay an egg?!

Welcome to the board.

4951144131_498f19179f_o.gif

Michigan has a problem. They're focused on "a Michigan Man" in every recent search. Its been a failed model from the get-go. You get the best leaders to build or maintain your program, without all the arrogance of demanding they understand the "culture". That culture usually means old rich boosters and alumni making decisions on football that they aren't equipped to make.

Yes, fans want a splash hire of a big name coordinator off an Alabama, FSU type staff - or they want a "Nebraska man" but that's about as closed loop process as you can get. In Riley you got a guy just like Cutcliffe, for example. He will not be arrogant and fitting square pegs in round holes, as some here have correctly point out. He will smash mouth it if that's his talent, and I suspect that will be the case for several years to come. IF he has a QB he can utilize and balance the attack, he can and will do that. I'm loving the hire because Riley didn't chase the hot chick every chance he got. He stayed at a program he loved even if it cost him wins. So what? Now Nebraska will benefit from having a guy that has played in a great conference where he's had limited resources. He's taken limited talent and done pretty well with it. I think he'll be even better with a stable full or 3* and 4* players.

I think the playoff and championship talk is nuts for the first 2-3 years. In order I would: Get back to basics of discipline and character. Compete in big games instead of getting blown out. Start winning some of those big games. Get his players in place (gotta find pro set QB and RB) instead of spread/read option guys. Start punching people in the mouth again. Coach the defense so its assignment sure and tackling in the open field. These are bits and pieces that take some time to get in place.

This is not a deer in headlights Brady Hoke hire. Riley will have a plan, it will start by using what he has - it will morph into what Nebraska needs to win big games. I really think you guys have the players in place, certainly as much as Wisconsin, to win big games. You have lacked the leadership, respect, trust, teamwork stuff that puts a team over the top, in my opinion, at least. Personally (and I'm not a Nebraska alum) but the Frost talk is silly. He's not ready for the job and would be a terrible hire, even as an OC it comes with tremendous risk. Its the same "Michigan Man" mentality that has impeded UM's rebound since the Carr era. You take the best teachers and coaches, not the best ex-alum. I'm excited for Nebraska to get back in the national spotlight which will (along with Michigan and Penn St) tremendously improve the B1G brand.

• Fire 2

Look at Georgia Tech's offense right now (playing Florida State). Now that is a thing of beauty. Very creative with their combination of power, misdirection, and option. That is what I am talking about. There is always a way to beat a defensive front by running the ball. Wish NU would adopt that kind of offense.

Will reply to the posts a bit later. This game is too good at the moment.