New NU Linebacker Coach Trent Bray

How many years ago was this? A guy made mistakes in the early 90s boohoo

Apparently he isn't very nice to his players either. Calling his players MF'ers for leaving practice early to make it to class really doesn't sound like the kind of coach Riley is going to hire.

Bray is a fantastic hire and many at OSU were hoping, if Riley was sticking around, Bray would be named DC. Fantastic position coach and when he was brought in to OSU the play of the linebackers, already considered to be a decently performing bunch in the PAC12, took a big step forward. I think Nebraska will be extremely happy with the Linebacker play under Bray's tutelage. OSU has a very strong tradition of linebacker play and Bray has been a player and coach in that tradition. Great get for Nebraska.

I am encouraged to hear this about Bray. I think the Husker's linebackers have been sorely misused. It has been a soft spot on our defense for several years. I hope we see some improvement and from what you said, I tend to believe it will happen.

Off the top of my head, when I think of college football linebackers, I think of USC, Ohio State, Miami, FSU, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Alabama, Penn State, Notre Dame....

I would love to see us become a great LB school because it has been a long while since we've been near that level of consistency. Plus I think it's the heart and soul of the blackshirts identity. Or at least the backbone.

With the previous staff is was the secondary of safeties and DBs.

The receivers coach Brennan is a fantastic coach. I'm not sure if the DB coach is coming (Rod Perry) but he's been very solid. I think he has other options as does the defensive line coach Joe Seaumalo particularly in the Pros. He is a great recruiter, particularly out of hawai'i for the big guys, and, when he has the healthy guys, has coached up some fantastic players like Paea and Crichton.

The guys I wanted to see let go at OSU were Banker (mostly because he can't stop the spread and right now in the PAC12...that means he's not stopping many) and Read. Personally I think Read is an underperformer but as a kicking coach he has been undeniable. We've had groza winners and nominees and the current best kicker in the NLF (Johnny Hecker) is a phenomenal kicker. Returns (ko and punt) have been very very ordinary. Protection is ok. Not standout.

Cavanaugh is a great coach but he's had a tough run the last few years. The line depth is practically zero. How much the poor performance has been to injuries and lack of depth is unknown. I think at Nebraska he will have the trenches guys to really be able to tell if he's lost his touch or just needed to right bodies. After Bray, Brennan, Seaumalo and Perry the rest of the guys are "ok" and the resources at Nebraska will be the true barometer. They're not going to have excuses of recruiting/resources to explain any deficiencies. To better understand the differences in recruiting, currently Nebraska has five 4* recruits. OSU has 1 and they're hoping he actually signs. The only 5 star I can remember in recent years is Seuamalo's son who is maybe the best center in the PAC12 but has been sidelined the entire year with a broken foot. The fans at OSU go crazy if they sign a 4 star guy. A lot of times they don't qualify academically anyway even after signing their LOI. The raw talent at OSU is far below even what Nebraska feels is an ordinary year. Riley & Co do a great job just to make the teams competitive.

The OC is terrible and had only been on the job for a year. He's not going to be coming to Nebraska. The two previous OCs are now the head coach at Pitt and the QB coach at NY Giants in the NFL.

I really have no idea who Riley has in mind for his OC. He's a pro-set guy and so the idea he's bringing Frost seems totally unlikely to me. Honestly, I know Tedford from Cal is wanting to get back into the college ranks, he and Riley have a bit of a relationship and so I wouldn't be shocked to see Tedford applying for the job. After that...it's really unknown. Riley is the OC in his offense. Everyone else is a QB coach. I wouldn't be 100% shocked if he steals the OC at Washington (J. Smith) but again...a bit of an unknown. Smith is a very talented guy and is getting a rough stick in Washington but if he isn't approached by Riley I wouldn't be surprised at all. A complete mystery really.

Thank you so much for your insight on these guys! I really appreciate the perspective you've brought to the board regarding Riley and Co. as well as some insight into the OSU program itself! Hope you stick around after all of this shakes out.

• 4 weeks later...