Mike Riley's performance so far

Dagerow

I'd rate his performance as fantastic with a side of poop. He's going out, talking to recruits, saying the right things, being a coach yada yada. And that's great because it's been awhile to see an actual coach for once.

But he is being poopy in regards to hiring a staff. Nebraska being thrifty and cheap. Overall id rate his staff 4 out of 5 poops. 5 poops being very very poopy.

I'm not entirely sure what I just read, but to hell with it. +1

Don't hate me all at once...But I've been wondering how much he'll be able to see his grandson...Sounds like it's an important part of his daily routine and as much as his wife and kids seem to love the Corvallis area, I imagine it will always be "home" for his immediate and extended family...Is his Son and/or Daughter moving to Lincoln too?

I would honestly not be suprised if he tried to get his son to transfer to here. Your right he does seem to be a big part of his life so i wouldnt doubt he tries to get him a job here.

Ill respond to a bunch of your posts together. He isn't moving his family this week. If he is he's crazy. There will be time for that later. It's about time management. The only pressing thing is establishing a staff and recuiting right now. He needs to focus on that, and based upon the stories written. he has not been prompt in contacting the recruits.

And I don't buy the rules regarding recruits delaying him. He should already be "approved" to recruit due to his past job. But even if that weren't the case, he could certainly have someone from NU contact the recruits on his behalf explaining why he can't contact them yet.

Oh, and saying that he needs to spend time with his family, on Saturday dead period starts. I think it's entirely reasonable to believe he can spend a little more time focusing on his new job. Some coaches spend very little time with their family during the season.

On not giving him enough time, yeah no sh#t. I was commenting on what has happened recently. That's what this board is about. It wasn't a statement about him as a whole, but rather a concern about what has happened recently. Recruiting right after a coaching change is important to holding on to the recruits we have. Once they start shopping it's hard to hold on to them.

On the osu recruits, I personally don't like us stealing them from osu, but if Riley wants them that's fine. But, he needs to priortize and focus on ours first.

On the 3 that reaffirmed, that's great, but each of those three publicly stated (prior to the visit) that they were concerned because the new staff hadn't yet contacted them. Yes, he addressed that now. But it was still concerning, and other recruits have voiced similar concerns (concerns that could've easily been addressed).

Did anyone listen to McKewon on the radio today? He made a very strong point that applies directly to this. He said that he's become very aware of how Bo recruited and his tactics. These kids are not committed to Nebraska and never were. They are committed to Bo Pelini. There is strong evidence of this. It goes hand in hand with the team mindset of "us vs them". He said that a lot of people will view it as Riley dropping the ball with these kids and that's not fair to him. These kids were never committed to Nebraska. The recruits that Riley does retain, are attribute to him "re" recruiting these kids.

• Fire 1

Mike Riley is undefeated as a Husker coach. A+ so far.

Best post yet. :)

Yes but he is still 9 wins away from making half of Husker Nation happy.

He's already matched Bo's number of conference championships! A++

Dare I say, he's doing excellent in all areas.

• Fire 1

* snip *

So glad you're here to advise our new coach on his job. I'm sure he checks the message board regularly to see what nuggets of advice you have for him. Again, thanks
Yes, your right. I posted so Riley could see my comments. I figured contacting him directly would have been to easy.

Yes, now I understand why he didn't have the time to contact the recuits. He was spending to much time on this board. Good point.

Did anyone listen to McKewon on the radio today? He made a very strong point that applies directly to this. He said that he's become very aware of how Bo recruited and his tactics. These kids are not committed to Nebraska and never were. They are committed to Bo Pelini. There is strong evidence of this. It goes hand in hand with the team mindset of "us vs them". He said that a lot of people will view it as Riley dropping the ball with these kids and that's not fair to him. These kids were never committed to Nebraska. The recruits that Riley does retain, are attribute to him "re" recruiting these kids.

Even so. A lot of times at a lot of places players are committed to a coach. it's all dependent on your fit in that coach's programs from a philosophical and schematic standpoint. Now, with that said, yeah, I think there does have to be a happy medium between commtting to a coach and a program/school. A good mix. But you cant expect it to be heavily dependent on one over the other. It's just another one of those gray area issues in the world of college football.

Now in the case of Mike Riley, it's easy to go back and review his time at Oregon St from a schematic standpoint and see that, while it may not be a total culture shock like Callahan's offense was after Solich, it is going to be a change philosophically. And it's going to be on both sides of the ball. So I can easily see some of these guys doing their homework and in a kneejerk reaction thinking it's not the place for them now. Whether that's a result of Bo selling himself over the program, well, I dont know. It's just one of them things that wouldnt surprise simply based on what we've witnessed with the proverbial bunker mentality.

* snip *

Everyone knows Bo couldn't recruit because the only time he was worth anything was when he used Callahan recruits, who was the best recruiter ever, why would MR want to hold on to them?
He got better recruits then Riley

Oregon State vs. Nebraska..................doesn't seem to weight the same does it? Nevermind that Nebraska spends 4 times as much on recruiting than OSU does.

You people need to relax! This is what's giving Husker fans a bad name, having zero patience, and already judging a guy on his job so far when he's barely been here is ridiculous at best!

• Fire 1