Idea For OC

T_O_Bull

I like the idea of Riley calling the offense.......I'd rather have the coach responsible for what's going on than just standing around. He has a ton of experience, let's see what he's got.

If Riley is going to be the OC too then that leaves 4 paid assistant coach positions open. I really hope he takes our current DL, Secondary and running backs (Brown) coaches (sorry I suck with names). don't know/think that will happen but hears to hoping..

Riley being the OC doesn't remove a position. We'll still get an OC.

Bray/Cav/Read/Banker is 4, so that's 5 spots open.

DB could be Warren (I hope so). DL might be Kaz, but maybe not. DL & DB could both be occupied by promising coaches on the Oregon State staff, if not by current Huskers.

The remaining 3 we have RB, WR, and OC. TEs would also have to fit somewhere in there. Likely looking for new guys at all of these positions. Fortunately as an offensive coach, Riley should know a number of people in different circles he could reach out to. I wouldn't mind Brown being retained, but with Read on board it might be too much to go for another assistant without recruiting value.

Personally, I like the idea of Langsdorf for OC. Familiar with Riley, worked with him, and working with Eli Manning this year. Well respected guy, lots of experience.

I like the idea of Riley calling the offense.......I'd rather have the coach responsible for what's going on than just standing around. He has a ton of experience, let's see what he's got.

If Riley is going to be the OC too then that leaves 4 paid assistant coach positions open. I really hope he takes our current DL, Secondary and running backs (Brown) coaches (sorry I suck with names). don't know/think that will happen but hears to hoping..

DL coach??? Really??? His only contribution has been the Matador Defense, you know, one step to the left and yell, "Ole!" as the running back goes past.

T_O_B

I could see a Jeff Tedford (OC) and Clancy Pendergast (DC) combo.

Pendergast has a history of turning around defenses and his philosophy is exactly what Riley talks about (almost to the word, coincidentally). To that end, click the link:

Tedford has been getting his name out in connection to potential HC'ing jobs (both college and CFL) hence the need for Riley to wait (as Pendergast may follow Tedford if he did get a HC gig).

What's the Riley - Pendergast connection?

I think we're likely looking at a co-DC scenario. It's interesting that Banker was not officially announced as DC, and the "co-DC" tag may be what's needed to entice a heavy-hitting recruiter or established assistant to come here. I wouldn't count out the possibility of the young LBs coach Bray getting that title, too, especially if he was considered by Beavers fans to be a presumptive successor in that role.

Sorry, kind of getting off topic here, but it's good discussion. Back on topic, I once got Rick Neuheisel's autograph at a Colorado spring practice. :) Him, and some offensive lineman or something.

Me too......I didn't realize Bussey was so stuck on Brown, Ron must've really made an impression on the family.

He isn't just standing around, he's running the team/game. Most HC's were successful coordinators at one time, and most still delegate the duties. It's damn hard to do both jobs well. Hell we just saw that with Bo. I'd have been fine with keeping him as long as he brought in a quality DC. I'd much rather just go out and get the best OC we can no matter of prior relationship or lack thereof. We have the budget, let's freaking use it. There is no need for Riley to wear two hats here.

He isn't just standing around, he's running the team/game. Most HC's were successful coordinators at one time, and most still delegate the duties. It's damn hard to do both jobs well. Hell we just saw that with Bo. I'd have been fine with keeping him as long as he brought in a quality DC. I'd much rather just go out and get the best OC we can no matter of prior relationship or lack thereof. We have the budget, let's freaking use it. There is no need for Riley to wear two hats here.

TO did ok at head coach and calling the game. I think it gives them the feel for game

Riley being the OC doesn't remove a position. We'll still get an OC.Bray/Cav/Read/Banker is 4, so that's 5 spots open.DB could be Warren (I hope so). DL might be Kaz, but maybe not. DL & DB could both be occupied by promising coaches on the Oregon State staff, if not by current Huskers.The remaining 3 we have RB, WR, and OC. TEs would also have to fit somewhere in there. Likely looking for new guys at all of these positions. Fortunately as an offensive coach, Riley should know a number of people in different circles he could reach out to. I wouldn't mind Brown being retained, but with Read on board it might be too much to go for another assistant without recruiting value.Personally, I like the idea of Langsdorf for OC. Familiar with Riley, worked with him, and working with Eli Manning this year. Well respected guy, lots of experience.

https://twitter.com/MikelSevere/status/543961969330769920

I think severe was reading your post :)