Weight: 180

40 time: 4.4

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska

Favorites: Nebraska, USC, Texas, California, UCLA, Washington

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: A prototype CB. Long arms, great speed, and a 39" vertical. Was a 1st-team all-city performer as a junior (!), and is deemed a "pleasure to coach" by his HS coach.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 20% This may seem a bit high, but we are the first to offer, AND Ricky Thenarse was his high school teammate. That could be a huge selling point. Of course, a win over 'SC next September would help as well. He's a big-time prospect.

Bill Busch is recruiting Baker.

I think the best tool to get Baker to Lincoln is to play Thenarse as a true freshman. Of course, that depends on Thenarse being ready and able to play safety at the Div. I level (which is a stretch), but Thenarse will end up being our biggest recruiter with Baker.

• 3 months later...

Antwoine Baker: One of California's Best

By: Gene Swindoll

Publisher-Gene's Page

Date: May 24, 2006

David Starr Jordan High School cornerback Antwoine Baker, selected 1st-Team All League, 1st Team All City and 1st Team All Area last season, is one of the elite cornerbacks not only in California, but on the entire West Coast. Several schools are on his radar screen, including Southeastern Conference member Mississippi State.

Antwoine Baker Profile Page:

He talked about Mississippi State, a team that has been recruiting him for awhile.

"I think they started recruiting me about 4 or 5 months ago," said Antwoine, who has scholarship offers from Nebraska, Washington, Arizona State and Mississippi State. "They were the first ones to offer me. It was early this year."

He recently had a discussion with Mississippi State assistant coach Guy Holliday, the coach who recruits California for MSU.

"We talked about me going there. He said the (MSU head) coach (Sylvester Croom) would really like it if I go there and play for them," said the 6-0, 171-pounder. "The schools is 25% black, which means I will fit in. And it's in a good neighborhood. They treat you well over there. It's a good academic program."

Although in his earlier Scout.com interviews Antwoine appears to be most interested in remaining on the West Coast, he does have interest in Mississippi State.

"I've never been to Mississippi State before but I would like to visit them," he said. "I like that that they are very interested in me."

He's even trying to figure out a time when he can visit them.

"I'm supposed to go to Texas on the 4th of next month. I'm also thinking about taking an unofficial visit to Mississippi State," said Antwoine. "My brother (Eric) goes to Tuskegee (in Alabama), which is about 3 hours away. He said he likes it out there because the people are so nice, just like here."

He explained what he is looking for in a college.

"I want a lot of playing time when I get to a school. That is my main goal," he noted. "I also want to get a good education. I'm going to major in Criminal Justice." Baker hopes to be a prosecuting attorney for the District Attorney's office someday.

Will the distance from home factor into his decision?

"Distance won't matter to me," said Antwoine. "It doesn't really matter to me where I go."

Antwoine recorded 40 tackles, 4 interceptions, 3 sacks, and 12 passes defensed, while helping lead his team to a 8-3 record and a playoff berth last season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Swindoll is the publisher of the Dawgs' Bite, Powered by GenesPage.com website, the source for Mississippi State sports on Scout.com sports network. You can contact him by emailing swindoll@genespage.com.

The School is 25% black....... who cares. Its not people run around in white hoods here.... I fing hate when coaches have to stoop to that level to reach recruits. Talk about your academics and your football team before you have to scare a kid away from the spooky "white" schools.... Trust me Antione, some of the White kids here think they are blacker than you will ever be...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...