Early Signing Period for Football?

Mavric

Even with earlier OVs, I see it as a negative. While it may help other B1G schools, they don't have the same selling point a Memorial Stadium gameday in November does.

I guess I keep losing track of where this push is coming from. The NLI is already a horrendous contract for athletes that serves only the schools. Why, again, do we want to encourage the scales to tilt even further against the athletes?

Isn't it only BS if they don't allow OV's during the Jr year of HS? Which is the case now.

Agree. However, without earlier official visits, this change would be a disaster for us.

That's my point. Early signing isn't the problem if they allow earlier OV's. Seems like they are putting the cart before the horse

• 1 month later...

Like an early signing day. If you’re going to allow such a thing in mid-December, something FBS commissioners will be revisiting again in 2016 after seriously considering it this summer, in Riley’s view, you better couple that with another change.

“If you have an earlier signing day, you better have an earlier visiting period, right?” he said Friday at Big Ten Media Days. “So that’s been I hope my biggest contribution, is making sure people don’t get caught up and lost in the unintended consequences of a new rule, (where) all of this other stuff is happening, and, ‘Wow, we didn’t know this was going to happen.’”
As one of 19 coaches on the American Football Coaches Association Board of Trustees, Riley has voiced his opinion that he's against an early signing date rule that includes no other parts. (Frank Solich and Craig Bohl are also on that board.)
“Because that early signing date will become the signing date and all the visits will take place during the season," Riley said.
To Riley, that doesn’t seem good for recruits. It doesn’t seem good for coaches. It doesn’t seem good for current college players. Yeah, we seem to forget about them the most in these discussions.

LJS

• 1 year later...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/10/05/ncaa-division-1-council-proposes-early-signing-periods-satellite-camps-recruits/91627604/

The NCAA Division I Council submitted a proposal Wednesday to introduce two 72-hour periods — one in June and one in mid-December — where football recruits can sign National Letters of Intent. The December date correlates to the ability of junior college players to sign scholarship papers.

Assuming the proposal is adopted by the NCAA Board of Directors, it would go into effect for the 2017-18 recruiting cycle. It represents a significant change for both schools and recruits, whose only opportunity to sign previously was in early February.

• Fire 1

I've asked the NCAA if the proposal allows for earlier, paid official visits. That's a key question here.

And the answer is: Yes.
According to the NCAA's Michelle Hosick, associate director of media and public relations, there will be two early official visit periods:
» From June 1 until the last Saturday before the June signing period. (In 2017, the period would be June 1 through June 24.)
» From July 25-31.

OWH

• Fire 2

I've asked the NCAA if the proposal allows for earlier, paid official visits. That's a key question here.

And the answer is: Yes.
According to the NCAA's Michelle Hosick, associate director of media and public relations, there will be two early official visit periods:
» From June 1 until the last Saturday before the June signing period. (In 2017, the period would be June 1 through June 24.)
» From July 25-31.

OWH

Good news. In seeing everything yesterday, that didn't seem to be the case.

It will be interesting to see how that June date goes over. There is so much movement of committed kids over the summer and fall, I wonder how many will actually sign then? And how many schools will allow kids to sign then (think Harbaugh dropping kids last year when he got better ones)?