Before Ray Rice, There was Christian Peter.

As much as I liked watching him play at Nebraska, Peter, Lawrence Phillips, and Ritchie Incognito are 3 names I wish could just be scrubbed from the history of Husker football.

If it helps,they were a long time ago.

But they are usually the ones most talked about

They are, and it's gonna be something the University and the program is going to have to own. USC has OJ (and he was no saint when he was there before his infamy) and the probation, FSU won't be shaking a Free Shoes U or Jameis for awhile. Bill Snyder let Ell Roberson play in his first BCS game even though he had a pending rape charge. Manti Teo and Declan Stevenson will linger at Notre Dame, and then of course there's the school in Happy Valley.

The cost of winning isn't without it's unfortunate trade offs, it appears. No one out there is an angel and does everything 100% above board, all you can do is the best you can.

I like to think that Osborne/Solich did during that time with those three, of course there are other wildly differing opinions out there on the man, especially those of non Husker fans.

But, it is what it is, and it's an unfortunate trade off of being a college football fan. Probably why it's best the eschew the fake high road "we win the -right- way" claptrap.

I know. And I have no real opinion on if things were done the right way or not. I just wish that they could be forgotten.

I think Redmond is misguided regarding her anger toward the NFL for bringing in players with a history of sexual assault. It makes a lot of sense to get their perspective on why they did what they did, and try to combat the problem from many angles. Redmond seems to imply that no benefit can be gained by using these players as a resource.

Redmond's approach seems to focus on penalizing players who sexually assault women - and while I completely understand why she would feel that way, the NFL appears to be attempting a prevention model rather a strictly punitive model for combating this problem. Players who assault women (anyone, for that matter) should be penalized, I agree. But if by talking to former assaulters they can prevent a future assault, that is more laudable.

I don't think she's misguided necessarily. There really isn't much evidence to support the notion that rapists and child molesters are rehabilitated. For argument's sake, let's take her at her word that she was raped, even though Peter was never convicted of it criminally.....she sees a guy who raped her...he's never really been punished for what he did (if the worst thing that happens to a guy with Christian's rap sheet is that he has trouble getting drafted, then I'd say he's gotten away with quite a bit), and now he's being implicitly championed as a model for reform and, strangely, a resource for creating preventative measures against assault.

My personal opinion...Christian Peter was and is a scumbag. He's never really been held accountable for what he's done, and for this article to paint him as some sort of Phoenix metaphor..rising from the ashes...the guy never really lost anything. He hurt a lot of people and probably should have been in jail long ago. He says he made mistakes (nice way of putting what he's done), but mostly offers up a nice long list of excuses...ranging from steroid use to ADD to dyslexia.

If Redmond was raped as she says she was...can you maybe see why she thinks this is a cruel joke? He's being brought in to prevent sexual assault, and yet....he stops short of admitting he even committed assault. I hear his language..and what I see is a guy who is still not accountable and really doesn't think he did anything wrong....except he says he should have called her back after 'consensually' having sex with her. My BS meter is screaming. Just my opinion.

• Fire 1

As much as I liked watching him play at Nebraska, Peter, Lawrence Phillips, and Ritchie Incognito are 3 names I wish could just be scrubbed from the history of Husker football.

They are, and it's gonna be something the University and the program is going to have to own. USC has OJ (and he was no saint when he was there before his infamy) and the probation, FSU won't be shaking a Free Shoes U or Jameis for awhile. Bill Snyder let Ell Roberson play in his first BCS game even though he had a pending rape charge. Manti Teo and Declan Stevenson will linger at Notre Dame, and then of course there's the school in Happy Valley.

The cost of winning isn't without it's unfortunate trade offs, it appears. No one out there is an angel and does everything 100% above board, all you can do is the best you can.

I like to think that Osborne/Solich did during that time with those three, of course there are other wildly differing opinions out there on the man, especially those of non Husker fans.

But, it is what it is, and it's an unfortunate trade off of being a college football fan. Probably why it's best the eschew the fake high road "we win the -right- way" claptrap.

I know. And I have no real opinion on if things were done the right way or not. I just wish that they could be forgotten.

It's three guys off one team out of thousands.

I think Redmond is misguided regarding her anger toward the NFL for bringing in players with a history of sexual assault. It makes a lot of sense to get their perspective on why they did what they did, and try to combat the problem from many angles. Redmond seems to imply that no benefit can be gained by using these players as a resource.

Redmond's approach seems to focus on penalizing players who sexually assault women - and while I completely understand why she would feel that way, the NFL appears to be attempting a prevention model rather a strictly punitive model for combating this problem. Players who assault women (anyone, for that matter) should be penalized, I agree. But if by talking to former assaulters they can prevent a future assault, that is more laudable.

I don't think she's misguided necessarily. There really isn't much evidence to support the notion that rapists and child molesters are rehabilitated. For argument's sake, let's take her at her word that she was raped, even though Peter was never convicted of it criminally.....she sees a guy who raped her...he's never really been punished for what he did (if the worst thing that happens to a guy with Christian's rap sheet is that he has trouble getting drafted, then I'd say he's gotten away with quite a bit), and now he's being implicitly championed as a model for reform and, strangely, a resource for creating preventative measures against assault.

My personal opinion...Christian Peter was and is a scumbag. He's never really been held accountable for what he's done, and for this article to paint him as some sort of Phoenix metaphor..rising from the ashes...the guy never really lost anything. He hurt a lot of people and probably should have been in jail long ago. He says he made mistakes (nice way of putting what he's done), but mostly offers up a nice long list of excuses...ranging from steroid use to ADD to dyslexia.

If Redmond was raped as she says he was...can you maybe see why she thinks this is a cruel joke? He's being brought in to prevent sexual assault, and yet....he stops short of admitting he even committed assault. I hear his language..and what I see is a guy who is still not accountable and really doesn't think he did anything wrong....except he says he should have called her back after 'consensualy' having sex with her. My BS meter is screaming. Just my opinion.

I don't think she is misguided. It is fully understandable her having the attitude she does. However, it's also understandable that an organization like the NFL uses the situation to try to learn from and improve what they are doing in this area.

Hopefully, at some point, it's successful and she can appreciate that.

• Fire 1

Yeah, and compared to many schools, we've done much better in that regard.

Yeah, and compared to many schools, we've done much better in that regard.

Correct, and again, how we've done better is subject to debate among many, but it is what it is. It's enough for me to know that any fan who tries to give me grief over it has plenty to be "ashamed" of too.

Redmond, who received a $50,000 out-of-court settlement from Nebraska after filing a complaint against the school related to her accusations of rape against Peter, expressed disappointment.

What happened to Redmond was terrible. But terrible things happen to people every day. I don't mean to seem callous, but come on. It was twenty years ago. Let it go already. I wish that settlement had included a gag order so I would have to hear her jump on the soapbox every time some instance of NFL domestic abuse occurs.

I would imagine something as traumatic as rape is rather difficult to move on from. Hey, I know you saw your parents get murdered a long time ago, but come on Batman, get over it already.