Banderas/Newby

Warrior10

Our LB'ers didn't play the best overall but I thought Bando stepped up and played one of his better games. I've been pretty critical of the kid but he made a few plays that showed he could be a player for us in the future. He is a big boy, type of LB'er we will need in some games.

I appreciate what Williams did here as a walk-on on ST but he had no business being on that field. But why wasn't Newby an option at that spot for the bowl? He was healthy and dressed. I noticed he was in all D-Line huddles and not LB'er ones. His future seems to be at LB'er so what's up there?

Banderas was spotty good/awful here and there throughout the year. Probably some inexperience shining through at times. I also attribute most defensive struggles to miscommunications and misreads due to the complexity of the defense. Assuming the scheme is simplified next season and much more aggressive, I think Banderas is there athletically and physically. So with a healthy Micheal Rose and Banderas, who plays where? I also agree, Newby has the speed to be playing at LB'er. I guess Newby's situation could change depending on Moss's return or not.

His attacking was the biggest change I saw. There was a 3rd & 1 (the one where they got 4th and inches right after) where in the past he would have caught the RB at the line and fell backwards. But this time he met the RB in the hole and just stone walled him. If we can get him going it'll make our very thin 2015 LB'ER position pretty good.

Also, on Adoree Jackson's 71 yard TD catch and run in the third quarter, you can see that Banderas is actually pretty fast. He was the LB away from the play but chases Jackson down to get a hand on him about 25 yards down field then runs with him the last 45 yards to the end zone. He didn't make the play but he pretty much run step for step with a blazing fast WR for 70 yards. He has the speed. Just needs to make decisions faster.

Also, on Adoree Jackson's 71 yard TD catch and run in the third quarter, you can see that Banderas is actually pretty fast. He was the LB away from the play but chases Jackson down to get a hand on him about 25 yards down field then runs with him the last 45 yards to the end zone. He didn't make the play but he pretty much run step for step with a blazing fast WR for 70 yards. He has the speed. Just needs to make decisions faster.

I actually commented on that to buddies during the game.