The most mis-quoted line of the last 15 years, and how to fix it

knapplc

Through these gates pass... what was that again?

Why do people constantly get this quote wrong?

The sign doesn't say "best fans in college football."

It doesn't say "most knowledgeable fans in college football."

It doesn't say "classiest fans in college football."

The sign says, "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football."

Maybe that's a reference to character. Maybe that's a reference to the width of our butts. Whatever it is, it's quite often gotten wrong, or used as a weapon by disaffected fans angry at other fans. All of which is pretty stupid, all of which could be fixed if we made one simple change - and backed it up every game day.

Nebraskans are already nice enough. What we need to do is make more noise.

INL86qs.png

• Fire 6

The sign says, "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football."

Maybe that's a reference to character. Maybe that's a reference to the width of our butts. Whatever it is, it's quite often gotten wrong, or used as a weapon by disaffected fans angry at other fans. All of which is pretty stupid, all of which could be fixed if we made one simple change - and backed it up every game day.

INL86qs.png

I've always found it profoundly interesting that this fanbase can rally around and love something that was created and installed by Steve Pederson, perhaps the biggest pariah in NU history.

INL86qs.png

I've always found it profoundly interesting that this fanbase can rally around and love something that was created and installed by Steve Pederson, perhaps the biggest pariah in NU history.

i thought those words were on the old part of the stadium too

I keep thinking maybe our fans will pick up some tips from opponents stadiums. Nope.

Why when we walk into their house they want to kick ourmass, but when they come to our house we want to "cheer as the winner goes by". To heck with that. We need some nasty.

There's a lot the audio people could be doing at the stadium to make the experience better though. We will, we wil, ROCK YOU! Gimme a break with that crap. I'm not saying we have to go totally new school, but good gawd.......

I envy Wisconsin. Their fans freaking bring it.

• Fire 2

Their fans also barely show up by halfway through the second quarter.

And they're still louder than us. By the way, simply "being there" may keep the sellout streak alive, but it doesn't necessarily help the team. There's a reason it's called home field advantage. We could be helping these guys more than we may realize if we'd just get off our asses and scream some more.

• Fire 2

And they're still louder than us. By the way, simply "being there" may keep the sellout streak alive, but it doesn't necessarily help the team. There's a reason it's called home field advantage. We could be helping these guys more than we may realize if we'd just get off our asses and scream some more.

I'm with you, but it's not like we aren't capable of it. That Miami game was all kinds of rowdy.

A big part of our stadium not being as loud as it ~could~ be is expectations. It's easier for Wisconsin fans to get up for a game against the likes of us because A) they're playing Nebraska, which gets people excited, and B) even though they've had a great run lately, 9-10 win seasons are a bigger deal and accomplishment there than they are here.

Memorial can get as loud as anyone given the right opponent and the right level of play by our team.

• Fire 3

They are still in line, Wisconsin has a goofy system of getting students in. They also have double the students to get through than Nebraska.

At the perimeter of Gate 5, students will go through security and have their vouchers scanned by ticket-takers. Once inside the Gate 5 perimeter, students will be presented with a series of section chutes, which correspond to different sections of the student section. (P, O, N, M etc.) Students will be able to choose which section they want to sit in, by going through the chute that is labeled with their desired section.

Once students go through a section chute, they will receive a section reserved ticket from a representative of the Athletic Ticket Office. Each student is expected to sit in the section printed on their section reserved ticket. Groups of friends should make sure to enter the same section chute at the same time in order to be allocated tickets in the same section.

I'm with you, but it's not like we aren't capable of it. That Miami game was all kinds of rowdy.

A big part of our stadium not being as loud as it ~could~ be is expectations. It's easier for Wisconsin fans to get up for a game against the likes of us because A) they're playing Nebraska, which gets people excited, and B) even though they've had a great run lately, 9-10 win seasons are a bigger deal and accomplishment there than they are here.

Memorial can get as loud as anyone given the right opponent and the right level of play by our team.

Totally agree.

Yes, that Miami game was freaking awesome. We could feel the electricity through the television.

I keep thinking maybe our fans will pick up some tips from opponents stadiums. Nope.

Why when we walk into their house they want to kick ourmass, but when they come to our house we want to "cheer as the winner goes by". To heck with that. We need some nasty.

There's a lot the audio people could be doing at the stadium to make the experience better though. We will, we wil, ROCK YOU! Gimme a break with that crap. I'm not saying we have to go totally new school, but good gawd.......

Everything about the experience of attending a Husker home game is first rate. I've brought several people from my home state of Illinois, and their reactions are always the same. They loved it. I use to get some great tickets to the Jordan Bulls games, and Stl Cardinal games and those experiences weren't close to the excitement generated by the Huskers.

Never been to a game in Lincoln where I sat more than I stood.

INL86qs.png

Always been leery of self-glossed titles.... :hmmph