LJS: 2015 Offensive Position Breakdown

Mavric

OFFENSIVE LINE
Departures: Jake Cotton, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini.
Starting experience: Alex Lewis (13), Zach Sterup (10), Givens Price (2), Ryne Reeves (1), Dylan Utter (1).

One of my main digs on Bo Pelini is that he didn't recruit enough players on the offensive line. We don't have nearly enough depth for the five o-line spots. I think Matt Finnin should be up there somewhere. And part of the lack of depth is due to Tyler Moore's departure. But we're mighty thin on experience across the board. I think we should have been recruiting about one more o-lineman per year for the past couple of years. IMHO.

Anyone know who's coming off redshirt that will be likely to contribute?

OFFENSIVE LINE
Departures: Jake Cotton, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini.
Starting experience: Alex Lewis (13), Zach Sterup (10), Givens Price (2), Ryne Reeves (1), Dylan Utter (1).

One of my main digs on Bo Pelini is that he didn't recruit enough players on the offensive line. We don't have nearly enough depth for the five o-line spots. I think Matt Finnin should be up there somewhere. And part of the lack of depth is due to Tyler Moore's departure. But we're mighty thin on experience across the board. I think we should have been recruiting about one more o-lineman per year for the past couple of years. IMHO.

Anyone know who's coming off redshirt that will be likely to contribute?

DJ Foster will be in the mix. Farmer and Gates will have a good chance to compete as well.

I think a lot more young guys will have a chance now. OL development was a weakness of the previous regime imo, I'm excited to see what coach Cav can do with some of these guys.

The receiving corps looks good. However, i am not very confident the offensive line will provide enough time for Tommy to get them the ball, especially if we have a non-existent running game. That offensive line MUST improve in the off-season.

OK....

I know we are losing Ameer but, I expect one or two of the RBs on the roster to step up and at least give us a decent running threat. Just because we are losing Ameer doesn't mean all of a sudden our running game is going to be "nonexistent". Yes, I know we had issues in the last 3-4 games. However, it's a new staff, new system that I believe will do better late in the season than our previous staff.

As for giving Tommy time to throw. Our line wasn't bad at pass pro this past few years. Was it the most dominant great O line in Husker history? No, but our QBs for the most part have had time to get rid of the ball in most situations.

Now, I hope all of that improves. There was definitely room for improvement. And, that improvement would definitely help the team. But, let's not act like our entire offense was a total disaster the last couple years.

Ameer was great, and even as great as he was he got shut down against quality opponents because our oline looked like bull fighters out there. If you take Newby, Cross or any combination of RB's and put them as the lead back this year we would have struggled even more than we did. Ameer was the only reason teams had to look out for the run which offered up what little time Tommy did have to throw. I'm not sure what team you watched but the pass-protection was horrid for most of the year.

Without someone as great as Ameer next year and growing pains that are to be expected with any kind of staff change I would expect to see a significant drop off with the offense.

If we win 7 games I will be happy, just get to a bowl game for the extra practice. (now you made me sound like an Iowa fan, im going to go vomit)

There were games (Wisconsin and MSU as an example) where it was horrible. You take out a couple games and our pass pro was decent. I didn't say great. I didn't say it didn't need to improve. But, it was decent.

It was below decent, it will have to get way better to get over the hump!