Muslims and terrorism

The difference is modern day Christians don't take those words literally and act upon them. Only a minute percentage do compared to a much higher percentage of Islamist.

True, Christians pick and choose which parts of their religious teachings to follow.

As does any follower of any religion. Its called being a hypocrite, its also called being human.

EDIT: Or any person that lives under any kind of rule. We all choose what laws and rules we think should apply to us.

The difference is modern day Christians don't take those words literally and act upon them. Only a minute percentage do compared to a much higher percentage of Islamist.

True, Christians pick and choose which parts of their religious teachings to follow.

Christians: Christ followers. Read his teachings and this is what most Christians follow and believe. Stop looking at the political version (the Moral Majority type on the right or the Liberal Religious ones on the left - both use faith as a political tool). Christ's teachings were about compassion, love, and faith and not about jihad

It's not a product of any one certain religion; it's a society thing...the ones that turn violent grow up or are molded by a culture that condones and even encourages violence and retribution and extremism. The tables could easily be reversed and America and Europe could be the rich, stable, peaceful countries where Islam is the predominant religion, while Christianity flourished in impoverished and embattled, turmoil-filled middle-eastern states, and it would be Christians who would be doing the terrorizing.

Lots of fun ignorant viewpoints in this thread though!

• Fire 2

Does it really matter if they publically condemn it? It doesn't bring back the lost lives and it doesn't reduce the pain of the surviving families.

A huge public outcry in the Muslim world could help change a culture that seems apt to breed terrorism. So yes, that could matter.

However, does that culture exist solely because of Islam, or is the overtly patriarchal society of that region of the world to blame? It's hard to say, and it may be impossible to separate faith from culture.

It wouldn't help. The extremist would just look at them as non believers and attack them next.

I would like one person to answer my question. Why should we tolerate religions who are intolerant of other religions, abusive towards women and kill innocent people because a 6000 year old Bible or a 1400 year old Quran said so?

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

• Fire 1

It's not a product of any one certain religion; it's a society thing...the ones that turn violent grow up or are molded by a culture that condones and even encourages violence and retribution and extremism.

Yes. Palm trees don't grow in Alaska. Seeds grow best in soil they're suited to.

I would like one person to answer my question. Why should we tolerate religions who are intolerant of other religions, abusive towards women and kill innocent people because a 6000 year old Bible or a 1400 year old Quran said so?

"Religions" don't do those things. People do those things. Billions of Muslims don't abuse women or kill innocent people, just like billions of Christians don't leave the cities in which they live because the population is full of unbelievers.

Um... what?

Google it.

"Religions" don't do those things. People do those things. Billions of Muslims don't abuse women or kill innocent people, just like billions of Christians don't leave the cities in which they live because the population is full of unbelievers.

So you are saying, the bible, specifically the old testament which is followed by Jews and Christians has no reference to beating your wife or killing non believers. With out the Bible there is no Christianity and no Judaism. That is religion! I think you are mistaking faith for religion as those two have different meanings.

Um... what?

Google it.

I'm agnostic so the words of those books do not apply to me

So you are saying, the bible, specifically the old testament which is followed by Jews and Christians has no reference to beating your wife or killing non believers. With out the Bible there is no Christianity and no Judaism. That is religion! I think you are mistaking faith for religion as those two have different meanings.

No, I'm saying, as Junior pointed out HERE, that no matter what those books say, people are free to choose how they act. The Bible talks about "an eye for an eye," but you don't have to do that, and most people don't.

The inference is that abusing women and killing innocent people is endemic to Islam, and this isn't true. Billions of Muslims don't do this, wouldn't even dream of doing it. It happens that some do, but they don't represent all, nor should we condemn all Muslims because of the acts of a few.

• Fire 4

No, I'm saying, as Junior pointed out HERE, that no matter what those books say, people are free to choose how they act. The Bible talks about "an eye for an eye," but you don't have to do that, and most people don't.

The inference is that abusing women and killing innocent people is endemic to Islam, and this isn't true. Billions of Muslims don't do this, wouldn't even dream of doing it. It happens that some do, but they don't represent all, nor should we condemn all Muslims because of the acts of a few.

You are right and if you would see in my first post that I mention that there are many wonderful muslims. But what I am trying to say is that acts like what happened in Paris is because of religion. Peaceful Christians condemn and punish people who kill abortionists, christians separate themselves from groups like westboro. 400 years ago this wouldn't be the case with Christians, but TODAY it is. How many Muslims do you see beheading another muslim or sending them to jail for a terror act in the name of their prophet, TODAY? These peaceful muslim countries, some of which are our own allies continue to harbor these terrorist and we are suppose to tolerate that because the nice muslims tolerate the bad ones?