Muslims and terrorism

Does it really matter if they publically condemn it? It doesn't bring back the lost lives and it doesn't reduce the pain of the surviving families.

A huge public outcry in the Muslim world could help change a culture that seems apt to breed terrorism. So yes, that could matter.

However, does that culture exist solely because of Islam, or is the overtly patriarchal society of that region of the world to blame? It's hard to say, and it may be impossible to separate faith from culture.

• Fire 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.

The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

I have sympathy for the feelings and motives of the Ferguson rioters who feel like their voices aren't being heard. I think they were wrong to do what they did, however.

See, that's not that difficult. But I think the critical point is what I bolded.

• Fire 2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510866/Poll-reveals-40pc-of-Muslims-want-sharia-law-in-UK.html

Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.

The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

I have sympathy for the feelings and motives of the Ferguson rioters who feel like their voices aren't being heard. I think they were wrong to do what they did, however.

See, that's not that difficult. But I think the critical point is what I bolded.

You ignored the part you asked about.

• Fire 1

The Koran, or Quran, has 109 verses that calls for war against non believers... how is that a peaceful religion?

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing..

The bible says the same thing:

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10

So pretty much religion sucks.

• Fire 1

Does it really matter if they publically condemn it? It doesn't bring back the lost lives and it doesn't reduce the pain of the surviving families.

A huge public outcry in the Muslim world could help change a culture that seems apt to breed terrorism. So yes, that could matter.

However, does that culture exist solely because of Islam, or is the overtly patriarchal society of that region of the world to blame? It's hard to say, and it may be impossible to separate faith from culture.

Good point - I think they feed each other - the patriarchal society, the culture that honors the 'strong man' & the radicalization of Islam.

this article, link below, talks about the Egyptian president calling for a reform movement in Islam.

Quote in part:

CAIRO Egypt's president opened the new year with a dramatic call for a "revolution" in Islam to reform interpretations of the faith entrenched for hundreds of years, which he said have made the Muslim world a source of "destruction" and pitted it against the rest of the world.

The speech was Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's boldest effort yet to position himself as a modernizer of Islam. His professed goal is to purge the religion of extremist ideas of intolerance and violence that fuel groups like al-Qaida and the Islamic State — and that appear to have motivated Wednesday's attack in Paris on a French satirical newspaper that killed 12 people

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/08/5432540/from-egypts-leader-an-ambitious.html#.VK7agnvuu9M#storylink=cpy

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/08/5432540/from-egypts-leader-an-ambitious.html#.VK7agnvuu9M

The Koran, or Quran, has 109 verses that calls for war against non believers... how is that a peaceful religion?

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing..

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10

That pretty much sums up how I feel about religion.

My first thought was to go pull verses from the Bible encouraging war and atrocities, but I figured the point wouldn't be accepted. Glad someone did it, though.

• Fire 1

My first thought was to go pull verses from the Bible encouraging war and atrocities, but I figured the point wouldn't be accepted. Glad someone did it, though.

Knapp, I agree with you on that. That is why I am not christian. I am not saying christians are better than muslims. But trying to say Muslim (or Christianity) is a peaceful faith is a very false statement.

The difference is modern day Christians don't take those words literally and act upon them. Only a minute percentage do compared to a much higher percentage of Islamist.

True, Christians pick and choose which parts of their religious teachings to follow.

The difference is modern day Christians don't take those words literally and act upon them. Only a minute percentage do compared to a much higher percentage of Islamist.

Not really an excuse, but if you think about the growth of religions Islam is a fairly young religion, about 600 years younger than Christianity. You don't have to go that much farther back into the history of Christianity to find rather violent sects of the religion.

• Fire 1