Muslims and terrorism

Christians: Christ followers. Read his teachings and this is what most Christians follow and believe. Stop looking at the political version (the Moral Majority type on the right or the Liberal Religious ones on the left - both use faith as a political tool). Christ's teachings were about compassion, love, and faith and not about jihad

Maybe ~2000 years ago. Now Christ's teachings are about fiscal responsibility at the expense of social welfare, the poor pulling themselves up by bootstraps, privatization of education, exclusion of other religions, and making sure that big business gets their necessary earmarks.

• Fire 7

I would like one person to answer my question. Why should we tolerate religions who are intolerant of other religions, abusive towards women and kill innocent people because a 6000 year old Bible or a 1400 year old Quran said so?

"Religions" don't do those things. People do those things. Billions of Muslims don't abuse women or kill innocent people, just like billions of Christians don't leave the cities in which they live because the population is full of unbelievers.

So you are saying, the bible, specifically the old testament which is followed by Jews and Christians has no reference to beating your wife or killing non believers. With out the Bible there is no Christianity and no Judaism. That is religion! I think you are mistaking faith for religion as those two have different meanings.

Christians are people who follow Christ's example and teachings.

I don't remember Christ (this would be in the new testament) beating anyone or telling the men to go home and beat their wives..

The old testament isn't followed by Christians? I have only been out of the faith for a little over a year now. That's news to me.

When you went to Church, did they teach you to kill your kid if they leave the faith? Did they teach you to beat your wife? If they did, I understand why you left.

Have you actually read the bible? Or do you just listen to some guy on sundays?

I would like one person to answer my question. Why should we tolerate religions who are intolerant of other religions, abusive towards women and kill innocent people because a 6000 year old Bible or a 1400 year old Quran said so?

"Religions" don't do those things. People do those things. Billions of Muslims don't abuse women or kill innocent people, just like billions of Christians don't leave the cities in which they live because the population is full of unbelievers.

So you are saying, the bible, specifically the old testament which is followed by Jews and Christians has no reference to beating your wife or killing non believers. With out the Bible there is no Christianity and no Judaism. That is religion! I think you are mistaking faith for religion as those two have different meanings.

I don't remember Christ (this would be in the new testament) beating anyone or telling the men to go home and beat their wives..

The old testament isn't followed by Christians? I have only been out of the faith for a little over a year now. That's news to me.

When you went to Church, did they teach you to kill your kid if they leave the faith? Did they teach you to beat your wife? If they did, I understand why you left.

Ummmm....yes.

And, I will simply refer to this and leave it at that. This is way off topic from what I wanted the thread to be.

I'm going to let the Christians on this board answer this more fully, but surely you were taught about the Covenants God entered into with Israel throughout the Old Testament, and how the humans kept breaking those Covenants because they were sinful and incapable of keeping them, so God sent Jesus to be the ultimate Covenant, the last Covenant, between God & Man... right?

Christians: Christ followers. Read his teachings and this is what most Christians follow and believe. Stop looking at the political version (the Moral Majority type on the right or the Liberal Religious ones on the left - both use faith as a political tool). Christ's teachings were about compassion, love, and faith and not about jihad

Maybe ~2000 years ago. Now Christ's teachings are about fiscal responsibility at the expense of social welfare, the poor pulling themselves up by bootstraps, privatization of education, exclusion of other religions, and making sure that big business gets their necessary earmarks.

No it's really not. They haven't changed.

Please note that if you are a Christian below the Mason-Dixon line, these things are considered one in the same.

• Fire 1

I'm going to let the Christians on this board answer this more fully, but surely you were taught about the Covenants God entered into with Israel throughout the Old Testament, and how the humans kept breaking those Covenants because they were sinful and incapable of keeping them, so God sent Jesus to be the ultimate Covenant, the last Covenant, between God & Man... right?

Yes, that is in the good book. But, just going off of some conservative christians, they tend to throw out scripture from the old testament when it comes to abortion or homosexuality but neglect to mention all of the bad stuff in the bible. Really, if more christians started acting more like Christ I might consider giving the religion another go at it.

So...bringing this full circle.

I started a thread asking for your comments on an oped piece basically saying you are a bigot if you even ask a Muslim to condemn terrorism. Some of you agreed with that article.

Then, the thread dove into the gutter of debating how horrible Christianity is...bla bla bla.....

So, if simply asking a Muslim to condemn terrorism is Islamophobic, isn't many of the comments in this thread Christianophobic? Or what ever the word would be....

So...bringing this full circle.

I started a thread asking for your comments on an oped piece basically saying you are a bigot if you even ask a Muslim to condemn terrorism. Some of you agreed with that article.

Then, the thread dove into the gutter of debating how horrible Christianity is...bla bla bla.....

So, if simply asking a Muslim to condemn terrorism is Islamophobic, isn't many of the comments in this thread Christianophobic? Or what ever the word would be....

I'm religophobic... I think that's a word. If not someone call webster!!!

So, if simply asking a Muslim to condemn terrorism is Islamophobic

I don't think it is Islamophobic. I think it's simple human responsibility. But segregating the denunciation of Muslims from non-Muslims misses the mark. HUMANS should denounce terrorism, and the overwhelming world response, from every corner of the globe, every race & religion, is condemnation.

I thought the op-ed piece was raking muck that wasn't there.

• Fire 1

Yes, that is in the good book. But, just going off of some conservative christians, they tend to throw out scripture from the old testament when it comes to abortion or homosexuality but neglect to mention all of the bad stuff in the bible. Really, if more christians started acting more like Christ I might consider giving the religion another go at it.

Don't you think it's possible to be Christian in the view that you believe it should be? Do you have to relate to those other people who claim to be Christian? Shouldn't someone who is considering being a Christian simply ask "Is this what Christ asked me to do" and read Christ's teachings to find out? To be a Christian, you don't have to follow what humans are doing while trying to act like a Christian.

I don't think it is Islamophobic. I think it's simple human responsibility. But segregating the denunciation of Muslims from non-Muslims misses the mark. HUMANS should denounce terrorism, and the overwhelming world response, from every corner of the globe, every race & religion, is condemnation.

I would agree with that.

I cant speak for ALL Christians but the Catholic church has a reading from the Old Testament every Mass.

So conversely, we should expect Christians to consistently condemn the acts of Christian extremists when they happen, otherwise we can go ahead and assume that all Christians are in support of said Christian extremists?

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

I cant speak for ALL Christians but the Catholic church has a reading from the Old Testament every Mass.

Same with Lutherans. Old Testament reading, Epistle reading and a Gospel reading. It's a "Here's where we were, here's where we are, here's where we're going" formula. The three readings are intended to tie together to a narrative which is explained in that day's sermon.