Muslims and terrorism

"Have you stopped beating your wife" isn't Biblical. It's a common example of a specific type of question. That's why I told you to google it. You'll learn something, and it has nothing to do with Christianity or Islam or any other religion.

Okay, now I understand that. Sorry, never heard that term used before as a meaning of entrapment. But, that wasn't my agenda in asking the question. I was wanting to have a debate over the matter as I am open to change if someone provides the proper factual information regarding religion.

"Have you stopped beating your wife" isn't Biblical. It's a common example of a specific type of question. That's why I told you to google it. You'll learn something, and it has nothing to do with Christianity or Islam or any other religion.

I'll try it out in the football forum.

I actually used this reference once in the football forum and the quote was sent directly to the DBHOF lol

Well, I knew this would stir a lively discussion.

I guess I view this very differently than most.

I am Christian and Catholic. Both Protestant denominations and the Catholic Church have done things that as a member of both, I am not proud of and do not condone. However, those things (as I believe) are not Christian or Catholic. They are mistakes and horrible things people have done as portraying themselves as members of those two groups. To me, there is a big difference. There is the Christian religion and there are people within that religion that are not perfect. The acts of those people affect the outside VIEW of that religion but it doesn't actually represent that religion.

Also, I am also pro life. I don't condone and I find horrible anyone who would even think about hurting or bombing person or place associated with an abortion clinic. Those actions are by someone who (as a vast minority) are acting (in their minds) as a representative of the pro life movement. But, they AREN'T the pro life movement.

Now, as a member of all these groups, I would find it odd or strange for me to have to apologize for other's actions in the name of these groups. However, I do find it part of my responsibility WITH IN these groups to try to change what is going on. When around Christians, Catholics and pro life supporters, I should speak up when these issues are discussed and condemn them. As anyone would know, 99.9% of the time I'm going to be around people who agree with me on my views but you never know when that one person is sitting there and questioning the issues.

I believe Muslims need to be doing the same thing. When in Mosques or around other Muslims, these issues need to be discussed and condemned so that people in that religion (especially younger people who are easily influenced) understand their stance on it and LEARN from them that terrorism is NOT part of Islam and is not condoned. All it is is a minority of that group that is taking Islam and using it to brain wash young people into believing it is right to go blow people up they don't agree with.

So, in essense, sitting on a "news" cast and saying..."Why aren't Mulsim's condemning terrorism" isn't really productive and just drives a strange wedge in between groups. But, I believe it is an interesting question to know if Muslims within their own groups are acting fighting against this brainwashing. But, acting like asking Mulsims to condemn terrorism is some how bigoted or Islomophobic is ridiculous to me. It's no more bigoted than to have a Priest on TV asking him to discuss child molestation and asking him to condemn it. I have seen this many many times on American TV.

I have known some very loving Muslims in my life. Honestly, I am lucky to have known them so that I have first hand experience on who they are what they stand for.

I actually used this reference once in the football forum and the quote was sent directly to the DBHOF lol

The nature of the discussions held in this forum allow for more freedom of expression than the football forum. We have always allowed a wider range of expression here, with the expectation that people who choose to engage in P&R discussions understand the different natures of these forums.

- We are all seekers in a sense, so we can avoid the labels (believer, non-believer, agnostic, etc) -Looking at the Christian faith, we need to separate the words of Christ from the actions of his individual followers and from 'organized' religion as a whole. All of us, you and I included, are capable of being the best examples of Christ's words and life and also the worse examples. That is why faith can not to be in a system, a church, or in other believers. As we all know, if we find the perfect church, we better not go in as it immediately becomes 'un-perfect'. The church should be seen more as a hospital than a place of perfection. A hospital that dispenses grace and healing. You see hypocrites in the churches for the same reason you see sick in the hospital - both need healing and hopefully healing comes over time and our lives are more whole and consistent. I'm sure this is the case of most Muslims in the world. You got individual radicals that make up the news now (kind of like crusaders did centuries ago - who were both defending their faith and also going on the offensive in a un-Christ like way) and yet most individual Muslims are probably no different than most ordinary Christians - living out their lives trying to leave the world in a better condition.

Well, I knew this would stir a lively discussion.

I guess I view this very differently than most.

I am Christian and Catholic. Both Protestant denominations and the Catholic Church have done things that as a member of both, I am not proud of and do not condone. However, those things (as I believe) are not Christian or Catholic. They are mistakes and horrible things people have done as portraying themselves as members of those two groups. To me, there is a big difference. There is the Christian religion and there are people within that religion that are not perfect. The acts of those people affect the outside VIEW of that religion but it doesn't actually represent that religion.

Also, I am also pro life. I don't condone and I find horrible anyone who would even think about hurting or bombing person or place associated with an abortion clinic. Those actions are by someone who (as a vast minority) are acting (in their minds) as a representative of the pro life movement. But, they AREN'T the pro life movement.

Now, as a member of all these groups, I would find it odd or strange for me to have to apologize for other's actions in the name of these groups. However, I do find it part of my responsibility WITH IN these groups to try to change what is going on. When around Christians, Catholics and pro life supporters, I should speak up when these issues are discussed and condemn them. As anyone would know, 99.9% of the time I'm going to be around people who agree with me on my views but you never know when that one person is sitting there and questioning the issues.

I believe Muslims need to be doing the same thing. When in Mosques or around other Muslims, these issues need to be discussed and condemned so that people in that religion (especially younger people who are easily influenced) understand their stance on it and LEARN from them that terrorism is NOT part of Islam and is not condoned. All it is is a minority of that group that is taking Islam and using it to brain wash young people into believing it is right to go blow people up they don't agree with.

So, in essense, sitting on a "news" cast and saying..."Why aren't Mulsim's condemning terrorism" isn't really productive and just drives a strange wedge in between groups. But, I believe it is an interesting question to know if Muslims within their own groups are acting fighting against this brainwashing. But, acting like asking Mulsims to condemn terrorism is some how bigoted or Islomophobic is ridiculous to me. It's no more bigoted than to have a Priest on TV asking him to discuss child molestation and asking him to condemn it. I have seen this many many times on American TV.

I have known some very loving Muslims in my life. Honestly, I am lucky to have known them so that I have first hand experience on who they are what they stand for.

good post

The nature of the discussions held in this forum allow for more freedom of expression than the football forum. We have always allowed a wider range of expression here, with the expectation that people who choose to engage in P&R discussions understand the different natures of these forums.

Understandable, that comment I made in the football forum was well deserving of the DBHOF lol

I would like one person to answer my question. Why should we tolerate religions who are intolerant of other religions, abusive towards women and kill innocent people because a 6000 year old Bible or a 1400 year old Quran said so?

"Religions" don't do those things. People do those things. Billions of Muslims don't abuse women or kill innocent people, just like billions of Christians don't leave the cities in which they live because the population is full of unbelievers.

So you are saying, the bible, specifically the old testament which is followed by Jews and Christians has no reference to beating your wife or killing non believers. With out the Bible there is no Christianity and no Judaism. That is religion! I think you are mistaking faith for religion as those two have different meanings.

Christians are people who follow Christ's example and teachings.

I don't remember Christ (this would be in the new testament) beating anyone or telling the men to go home and beat their wives..

I would like one person to answer my question. Why should we tolerate religions who are intolerant of other religions, abusive towards women and kill innocent people because a 6000 year old Bible or a 1400 year old Quran said so?

"Religions" don't do those things. People do those things. Billions of Muslims don't abuse women or kill innocent people, just like billions of Christians don't leave the cities in which they live because the population is full of unbelievers.

So you are saying, the bible, specifically the old testament which is followed by Jews and Christians has no reference to beating your wife or killing non believers. With out the Bible there is no Christianity and no Judaism. That is religion! I think you are mistaking faith for religion as those two have different meanings.

I don't remember Christ (this would be in the new testament) beating anyone or telling the men to go home and beat their wives..

The old testament isn't followed by Christians? I have only been out of the faith for a little over a year now. That's news to me.

The old testament isn't followed by Christians? I have only been out of the faith for a little over a year now. That's news to me.

When you went to Church, did they teach you to kill your kid if they leave the faith? Did they teach you to beat your wife? If they did, I understand why you left.

I'm going to let the Christians on this board answer this more fully, but surely you were taught about the Covenants God entered into with Israel throughout the Old Testament, and how the humans kept breaking those Covenants because they were sinful and incapable of keeping them, so God sent Jesus to be the ultimate Covenant, the last Covenant, between God & Man... right?