do you think neals dad overreacted?

My question is, if he is committed to N then why is Michigan even in his home...???

Dont do this.

He's a 17 year old. And it's a huge decision. And the staff he committed to is no longer here. There's nothing wrong with the "looking around" in order to insure youre making the right choice.

He tweeted about Notre Dame, USC and had an unofficial to Rutgers well before pelini was let go..??

Ok.

So is it no ok for him to explore and make sure he's making the right choice?

Also, just cuz he's from Omaha doesnt mean he's got this ungodly tie to the Nebraska program. He lived in Texas a lot of his life. His dad went to Purdue I believe it's been said. Honestly, he's got no more ties to Nebraska than anyone else already in the program.

Getting anxious over the decision-making process of where to play college football and get your education of a 17-18 year old is borderline creepy.

Lastly, it's not against any rules to look around while "committed (whatever the hell that even means anyway). Dont blame the player. Dont blame the coaches. Blame the joke of a system. And dont forget, we got a few pretty talented young guys on the docket we're tryin to flip from other schools as we speak that we're drooling over. So this things goes both ways. But some only want to embrace it when it's convenient for us.

First, who said anything about a tie to Nebraska because he lives here..?? Second, its GREAT to look around and make informative decisions, but lets look at the word commitment...I say committing THEN looking seems a bit backwards... Third AND MOST IMPORTANT, asking a single question on a message board for most sane people would not constitute "anxiety" and to call someone "creepy" for it make me wonder about your state of mind.. but hey, thanks for reading SOOOOOOOO much into my single post

Everything I said has nothing to do with your opinions exlusively. They are in regards to general feelings about the guy, whether they are actually stated, or just assumed, throughout the fanbase. I guarantee you there are a great many out there that dont know much about this guy but think he's obligated to go to Nebraska cuz he's from the Nebraska, and that's not the case. And again, as far as committment goes, well, like I said, what the hell does that even mean anyway? Again, blame the system. Not the player. And I guarantee you most coaches take a committment with a huge ass grain of salt until next wednesday anyway. And my creepy comment? Again, a general observation. Spend some time in the profile threads in the recruiting forum. yes, there's some creepy sh#t out there.

So yeah. You ask a question. And you got an answer. But now youre upset that the answer isnt what you wanted to see and being so, Im reading to much into your comments and insinuating things? i dont understand.

Rule of thumb about message boards that even I myself have had problems with in the past. Dont read posts with emotions. Just cuz someone disagrees with you doesnt mean theyre yelling at you or insinuating your a dumbass, or creeper, or whatever else you thought I said. you made a comment. I replied to it. You asked questions. I provided opinionated answers. Remove the emotion. That is all.

And yeah, I still problems with myself time to time. That's just life on social media.

I don't think he overreacted. I am pretty sure I'd take offense to a statement like that also about my son. Even knowing my son is not the smartest and all.

Is anyone else surprised that it's difficult to get into Michigan? I mean... C'mon... I honestly didn't realize it was that difficult, well, not for a guy like me of course...

My question is, if he is committed to N then why is Michigan even in his home...???

Dont do this.

He's a 17 year old. And it's a huge decision. And the staff he committed to is no longer here. There's nothing wrong with the "looking around" in order to insure youre making the right choice.

He tweeted about Notre Dame, USC and had an unofficial to Rutgers well before pelini was let go..??

Ok.

Also, just cuz he's from Omaha doesnt mean he's got this ungodly tie to the Nebraska program. He lived in Texas a lot of his life. His dad went to Purdue I believe it's been said. Honestly, he's got no more ties to Nebraska than anyone else already in the program.

Getting anxious over the decision-making process of where to play college football and get your education of a 17-18 year old is borderline creepy.

Lastly, it's not against any rules to look around while "committed (whatever the hell that even means anyway). Dont blame the player. Dont blame the coaches. Blame the joke of a system. And dont forget, we got a few pretty talented young guys on the docket we're tryin to flip from other schools as we speak that we're drooling over. So this things goes both ways. But some only want to embrace it when it's convenient for us.

First, who said anything about a tie to Nebraska because he lives here..?? Second, its GREAT to look around and make informative decisions, but lets look at the word commitment...I say committing THEN looking seems a bit backwards... Third AND MOST IMPORTANT, asking a single question on a message board for most sane people would not constitute "anxiety" and to call someone "creepy" for it make me wonder about your state of mind.. but hey, thanks for reading SOOOOOOOO much into my single post

Everything I said has nothing to do with your opinions exlusively. They are in regards to general feelings about the guy, whether they are actually stated, or just assumed, throughout the fanbase. I guarantee you there are a great many out there that dont know much about this guy but think he's obligated to go to Nebraska cuz he's from the Nebraska, and that's not the case. And again, as far as committment goes, well, like I said, what the hell does that even mean anyway? Again, blame the system. Not the player. And I guarantee you most coaches take a committment with a huge ass grain of salt until next wednesday anyway. And my creepy comment? Again, a general observation. Spend some time in the profile threads in the recruiting forum. yes, there's some creepy sh#t out there.

So yeah. You ask a question. And you got an answer. But now youre upset that the answer isnt what you wanted to see and being so, Im reading to much into your comments and insinuating things? i dont understand.

Rule of thumb about message boards that even I myself have had problems with in the past. Dont read posts with emotions. Just cuz someone disagrees with you doesnt mean theyre yelling at you or insinuating your a dumbass, or creeper, or whatever else you thought I said. you made a comment. I replied to it. You asked questions. I provided opinionated answers. Remove the emotion. That is all.

And yeah, I still problems with myself time to time. That's just life on social media.

Uh...I forget....are we talking about Neal or you guys? LOLZ!

Dont do this.

Ok.

wow, dude, get over yourself...im not upset about anything...I asked a question, you said the staff changed...that would make sense, but there was talk BEFORE the staff changed...I just made that point and you wanted to come back that I was "anxious" and "creepy" PS.... sounds like you STILL have a problem..!!!

Ill just google how to mute/delete a poster on here to solve my "anxiety" you have a nice....whatever..!!!

Dont do this.

Ok.

Uh...I forget....are we talking about Neal or you guys? LOLZ!

well, I asked a question about Neal/ recruiting commitments and I guess it got turned to my "creepiness"... sorry..?? LOL

I don't think he overreacted. I am pretty sure I'd take offense to a statement like that also about my son. Even knowing my son is not the smartest and all.

Is anyone else surprised that it's difficult to get into Michigan? I mean... C'mon... I honestly didn't realize it was that difficult, well, not for a guy like me of course...

If for any reason we're all getting the why of the reaction....here's the why (from the wayyyyyyyback machine of August 23rd, 1990):

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/17289477/

Purdue's football team has lost sophomores Bryan Madden, Kevin Strickland and Abe Hoskins this season because of academic ineligibility, Coach Fred Akers said Wednesday.

And then you come into a man's home and basically say the same thing to his son? Yep, that's going over well...

• Fire 2

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/01/27/daishon-neal-nebraska-michigan/22395039/

Hoskins said they told Michigan not to waste the money to have head coach Jim Harbaugh come in for a visit this week because they were leaning toward Nebraska and just listening to U-M.

Ironically, Hoskins was the one pushing Michigan on his son because of its academic reputation.

"I was leaning toward Michigan," Neal's father said. "Academics, stats. My thing is he might not ever play again in his life, but that degree is going to take him everywhere."

Neal wasn't buying the pitch quite as much.

"I know they wanted me to come and play there, they wanted to put me to play with (recent Nebraska flip) Reuben (Jones) and put me in scheme and explain academically and this and that what's came out of Michigan, the connections and all of that," he said. "I'm like, here in Omaha, Neb., we've got Warren Buffett, so that's all we need, pretty much."

I love this kid already. Warren?

buffet-ball-so-hard.jpg

• Fire 1

If for any reason we're all getting the why of the reaction....here's the why (from the wayyyyyyyback machine of August 23rd, 1990):

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/17289477/

Purdue's football team has lost sophomores Bryan Madden, Kevin Strickland and Abe Hoskins this season because of academic ineligibility, Coach Fred Akers said Wednesday.

And then you come into a man's home and basically say the same thing to his son? Yep, that's going over well...

Very nice find on the article. Makes total sense

This reminds me of the time one of the professors in lincoln told me to drop out of engineering because "maybe engineering just isn't for you..." because i went to ask him a question during his office hours. My GPA at the time as a junior was 3.5. i'm not white.

if you don't understand how those two incidents are related, and/or don't think that making statements like that is highly inappropriate and counterproductive for a prospective mentor/instructor/coach, then you may need to just learn about a few new things on leadership and development.

• Fire 3

That statement wouldn't have gone over well either. If a kid is trying to get into college and his grades won't meet your academic requirements for enrollment, don't waste a trip just to get a warm body on the roster.

Not unless you're willing to help him get to where he wants to go.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at here?

It's a reality that the vast majority of kids on Michigan's roster would never get into the school if not for football. It's true at Nebraska. It's true at Wisconsin. It's true in most state Universities simply because they do not take alot of out of state kids.

Neal would easily get into Michigan, past the NCAA clearinghouse, and past Michigan admissions. And it's not that he would struggle academically either, because Neal is definitely a solid student with his 3.1 GPA. But if he were just a regular student applying, he would never get in because Michigan takes a very limited number of out of state students.

• Fire 1

Let's face it, Mattison was righ. You have to have a 4.0 GPA, top 10 in your class and an high act score in order to get accepted into Michigan. Neals only way to get into Michigan would be by a football scholarship and that's not saying Neal is dumb! A lot of smart people don't get accepted at UM. Regardless, I think neals dad misinterpreted how Mattison said it.

He might have been right, but you just don't say stuff like that in that situation. You don't know the family well enough to know exactly how they're going to react. Mattison probably thought he did, but he obviously didn't