do you think neals dad overreacted?

Well he "said" "when he said that we showed him the door". Now, we dont know the context or what his exact words imply. I seriously doubt they blew up and he said "get the *bleep* outta my house". I'm guessing they decided at that point that was the wrong thing to say and decided it was time to move on the the visit was over. thanks MCoach Mattison but no thanks.

I doubt the guys intention was to call the kid stupid. Prolly talking fast and said what he wanted to say in the wrong manner.

As someone who doesn't follow recruiting all that closely this did catch my attention and I was proud of this kid and his dad/family. I'm glad this kid is going to be a husker if for no other reason than it seems like he and his family have their head on straight.

Probably overreacted a bit, but how exactly is saying, "without football, you wouldn't be going to Michigan" or whatever was said an effective recruiting tool? Especially when a student is being recruited by multiple teams? shouldn't you just tell Him how great he his and how much Michigan love him and would be lucky to have him? I Think they need to rethink their recruiting strategy a bit.

I think he sold Stanford due to the academics. That's how he got better recruits to look at a football program that, at the time, was poor. Michigan also has good acedemics, and I think he was trying to tout that as a selling point. But he phrased it poorly, resulting in the father perceiving it as an insult. Just my two cents. Incidentally, I don't think it affected Neal's decision at all, except to allow his dad to express his distain.

When a very old white guy is going into a minority family house, and makes a very snobbish remark about grades, it's never going to come off well.

I mean, could he not say something like ..

"At Michigan, we take academics very seriously. To give you an idea of how hard it is to get into Michigan, only X percent (because I don't know the exact amount) of out of state applicants even get in every year. You have the opportunity to be with a select few individuals to get to enjoy Michigan academics."

I'm not a salesman, so it can definitely even be said better than I did. But there are so many ways Mattison could have went, but instead came off like a *insert other word for jerk here* ..

• Fire 2

I just dont get what he thinks would come out of saying something like that.

Probably true, but what do you achieve other than trying to make him see how good of a school it is?

Because, it's not a good school for minorities....that is, unless you're trying to get rich and play football the rest of your life.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/02/university_of_michigan_renews.html

And, Mattison's comment shows how out of touch he is. Says less about the school and more about the former coaching staff to me.