********OFFICIAL PGA Tour Discussion Thread ********

01.png

Jordan Spieth vs Tiger Woods won't even be close when it comes to career earnings
by CORK GAINES Jul. 21, 2015, 11:09 AM
<snip>
Spieth is not yet 22 years old and has already earned $17.4 million on the PGA Tour. Woods had $2.9 million in career earnings at the same age. At this pace, Spieth is going to destroy Woods' record for most career earnings.

Ha ha! This is an absurd extrapolation. A LOT can happen in the next nine years.
Allenby fires caddie after club disagreement
By Adam Stanley, Special to PGATOUR.COM, July 23, 2015
Local principal takes over on the second nine and has 'experience of a lifetime'

Ha ha! Allenby in the news again for weird crap. :lol:

Regarding the Tiger v. Spieth career earnings, that is a terrible measuring stick. Tiger single-handedly increased the PGA Tour purse exponentially over his career. When he got on the scene in 1996, the entire purse for the Open Championship was $2.2M. Zach Johnson just won $1.8 alone last week.

• Fire 1

Regarding the Tiger v. Spieth career earnings, that is a terrible measuring stick. Tiger single-handedly increased the PGA Tour purse exponentially over his career. When he got on the scene in 1996, the entire purse for the Open Championship was $2.2M. Zach Johnson just won $1.8 alone last week.

Just like gauging movies by how much they take in at the box office. Conveniently ignores inflation to make sure new records are always set and drive advertising.

But - as you noted - much more in this case as Tiger was a huge factor in driving golf's increased exposure (and thus increased payouts) over the last 20 years.

Nobody can deny that Tiger did a LOT to increase the popularity of golf worldwide, and also increased the winnings of PGA events. But not all of the increased PGA earnings are attributable to Tiger. Or at least that's what this article says that I just read a couple days ago: LINK Basically, it point's out that Tiger's first win at a major happens to coincide with a huge increase in earnings in several major sports, as per the figure below. Despite that, it's seems pretty clear that Tiger had more of an impact on his sport that any other single athlete.

02.png

Yeah, it definitely wasn't all Tiger. But a good portion. It was a steady rise in the graph until 1997 then the graph turned noticeably upwards.

But I'm not sure "average salary" is the best indicator. Gross revenue would probably be better although that may take more digging to find the right numbers for the PGA.

02.png

Check out the slopes of those sports before 1997 and forecast where they would be today. The NFL and MLB are marginally above where they would be, while the NBA is actually below. The PGA saw a huge change, comparatively.

02.png

Check out the slopes of those sports before 1997 and forecast where they would be today. The NFL and MLB are marginally above where they would be, while the NBA is actually below. The PGA saw a huge change, comparatively.

Also I think the article looks only at salaries, which in the case of the PGA is winnings. For the top golfers their endorsements far outstrip their winnings. Tiger made many, many times as much in endorsements than he took home in winnings. (And he's making an even higher percentage now, since his winnings have dipped.)

john-daly-loudmouth-golf_t640.jpg

Is John Daly the Answer to the United States' Ryder Cup Problem?

by Coleman McDowell Posted: Mon Aug. 3, 2015

John Daly has a vision for the U.S. Ryder Cup team. And it doesn't involve wearing ties. Speaking at last week's Paul Lawrie Match Play, Daly said he would love to lead the American squad in the biennial competition against the Europeans.
"Hopefully I would one day be a captain, it would be fun," Daly said. "I don't know if I fit the mold. I don't know if I fit what the PGA of America would want. All I know is my team, if I was a captain, we'd have a blast. I'd make sure they had a blast. You don't want to wear a tie, don't wear a tie. Have fun. It's supposed to be fun."

LINK

I'd be in favor of it solely for entertainment purposes. That, and how much worse could he do than we've done in the past decade or so?