********OFFICIAL PGA Tour Discussion Thread ********

Strokes Gained-Putting

The statistic is computed by calculating the average number of putts a PGA TOUR player is expected to take from every distance, based on ShotLink® data from the previous season. The actual number of putts taken by a player is subtracted from this average value to determine strokes gained or lost. For example, the average number of putts used to hole out from 7 feet 10 inches is 1.5. If a player one-putts from this distance, he gains 0.5 strokes. If he two-putts, he loses 0.5 strokes. If he three-putts, he loses 1.5 strokes.

LINK

I was wondering how they came up with this stat. So I looked it up. Still, a player's iron play would affect their stokes gained putting. Not all 10 putts are the same.

I don't think it does, though. They figure out the average number of putts from each distance. So the average on one foot putts would be very close to 1.0 while the average on 40 foot putts would be more than 2.0. So they're only comparing how many putts it took you to get down from a certain distance with the tour average from that distance. Thus, it doesn't matter how close to the hole you start.

The only difference is I don't know how long an average they take it over. A 10 foot putt on one green is not the same as a 10 foot putt on another green. So I don't know if the average is just for that tournament, for the year or how long. So there may be some slight variation but it would be pretty insignificant except on a course that has a lot of extremely tough or extremely easy greens (if the average is for longer than that tournament).

Strokes Gained-Putting

The statistic is computed by calculating the average number of putts a PGA TOUR player is expected to take from every distance, based on ShotLink® data from the previous season. The actual number of putts taken by a player is subtracted from this average value to determine strokes gained or lost. For example, the average number of putts used to hole out from 7 feet 10 inches is 1.5. If a player one-putts from this distance, he gains 0.5 strokes. If he two-putts, he loses 0.5 strokes. If he three-putts, he loses 1.5 strokes.

LINK

I was wondering how they came up with this stat. So I looked it up. Still, a player's iron play would affect their stokes gained putting. Not all 10 putts are the same.

I don't think it does, though. They figure out the average number of putts from each distance. So the average on one foot putts would be very close to 1.0 while the average on 40 foot putts would be more than 2.0. So they're only comparing how many putts it took you to get down from a certain distance with the tour average from that distance. Thus, it doesn't matter how close to the hole you start.

The only difference is I don't know how long an average they take it over. A 10 foot putt on one green is not the same as a 10 foot putt on another green. So I don't know if the average is just for that tournament, for the year or how long. So there may be some slight variation but it would be pretty insignificant except on a course that has a lot of extremely tough or extremely easy greens (if the average is for longer than that tournament).

But it seems like a player with more accurate approach shots would tend to leave his misses in better position than a player who's misses were random. If that was the case, the better iron player would face easier 10 footers than the poor iron player.

OTOH, maybe the poor long-iron player would miss more greens entirely. So he'd be chipping to the green from just a few yards. If that was the case, maybe the poor long-iron player would place his ball on the green more accurately, with a chip as opposed to a 150 yd approach shot. :dunno

usopen_1_rab_44329277_991766.JPG

Cole Hammer, 15, prays before teeing off at hole one during round two of the U.S. Open sectional qualifying at Northwood Club in Dallas on June 8, 2015.

15-year-old prodigy steals show, qualifies for US Open

By BILL NICHOLS, Staff Writer dallasnews.com Published: 08 June 2015 10:25 PM

LINK

I think we'll hear more about this kid in the coming years.

Where dreams come true
U.S. Open sectional qualifying is an avenue for amateurs and major winners alike

<snip>

In 2012, James Hahn was in a playoff at the Web.com Tour event in Raleigh, North Carolina, the day before he was scheduled to play a U.S. Open qualifier in San Francisco. He knew he’d miss his flight if the playoff lasted any longer, so he attempted a risky second shot to a water-guarded green on a par-5 in order to force an immediate result. He made birdie and won, barely made his flight and then landed in California after midnight. Playing on a couple hours of sleep, the Bay Area resident qualified for the Open at Olympic Club.

LINK

Cool story! :lol:

• Fire 1

mick1.jpg
Mickelson passes Woods as highest-earning pro golfer
By Ryan Ballengee 18 hours ago Devil Ball Golf

I thought that pic was appropriate. Even though it wasn't in the article. :lol:

I hate that picture. That's when Mickelson drained the putt on 18 at The Masters to beat Ernie Els (my favorite golfer of this generation).

mick1.jpg
Mickelson passes Woods as highest-earning pro golfer
By Ryan Ballengee 18 hours ago Devil Ball Golf

I thought that pic was appropriate. Even though it wasn't in the article. :lol:

I hate that picture. That's when Mickelson drained the putt on 18 at The Masters to beat Ernie Els (my favorite golfer of this generation).

Ha ha! Yeah. Phil was totally stoked. And he got all of 5" off the ground. (Maybe 5". I'm being generous.) :lol:

U.S. Open Winners

2014 Martin Kaymer, Germany

2013 Justin Rose, England

2012 Webb Simpson, U.S.

2011 Rory McIlroy, Northern Ireland

2010 Graeme McDowell, Northern Ireland

Why can't Americans win the U.S. Open?

U.S. Open Winners

2012 Webb Simpson, U.S.

I think it's just a blip on the radar. It had been ~40 years since a Euro had won a US Open when McDowell broke that dry spell in 2010.

U.S. Open Winners

2012 Webb Simpson, U.S.

I think it's just a blip on the radar. It had been ~40 years since a Euro had won a US Open when McDowell broke that dry spell in 2010.

True. But it seems like this year's U.S. Open favors the European golfers.

U.S. Open Winners

2012 Webb Simpson, U.S.

Because their scores aren't low enough? :dunno