Anyone have electric heat?

one of the best experiences of my life was when i got to use an electric blanket in oregon during the winter... even though i could have potentially caught on fire it was well worth it.....

is PV popular in Nebraska? it was huge here until the energy company realized they was losing to much $$ and its kinda fallen back to earth....

Anyone here have their place heated by electricity? I just got a whopper of an electric bill, 171.71. Its a two bedroom apt and Ive kept the thermostat at 62 degrees.

Feel like I'm being gouged.

If you're on the top floor, make them check for insulation above your unit. I had a massive electric bill in my first apartment and made them check, only to find we had zero insulation. Everyone who had lived there before me was getting ripped off. They insulated the place and my bill went down by nearly 1/2.

I was wondering about this myself.. We've been looking at a neighborhood that is all electric - they have heat pumps for cooling and heating. Have any of you had experience wt heat pumps -

Our home now is natural gas heat with regular elec AC. I wonder how much more expensive a heat pump would be?

I was wondering about this myself.. We've been looking at a neighborhood that is all electric - they have heat pumps for cooling and heating. Have any of you had experience wt heat pumps -

Our home now is natural gas heat with regular elec AC. I wonder how much more expensive a heat pump would be?

I have a heat exchanger and we really like it.

A lot of variables. We looked at heat pump about 8 months ago and I was sold until speaking to some folks in the area that went that route.

Where I am, a heat pump that can handle the temp fluctuations needs a backup heat source in winter. Upfront it averages ~2k more than traditional hvac (furnace/ac) system without backup heat system. IF there is a problem, the maintenance fees are ~3x more. Heat pumps last much longer on average though and are supposed to have lower maintenance requirements. In my location they are more efficient but not necessarily more cost-effective. If you travel ~50 SE of here, the cost & cost-effectiveness changes a lot.

If you have high temp fluctations or low winter temps, quality of insulation & windows are much more critical with a heat pump. Here these can create ~20 degree difference in backup heat kicking on which will kill the budget. There's a huge difference in what the lower-end vs upper-end heat pump systems can handle & this is reflected in price. Out here, new home builders that push heat pumps offer a low-end & slightly better lower-end option; both priced comparetively to the mid- or higher- range options...